Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boozing and Triathlons

• 28-05-2012 11:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

Just wondering do many people booze during triathlon season.
    I go off it the weekend before a race and have no intensions of increasing that time frame :p

Obviously people that are finishing in the top 10% probably give it up for the season, but i'm more curious about people that are finishing between 25% and 75% and doing three or more races

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Nah my boozing isnt much of a problem - its the crackers and cheese or feed of biscuits that immediatley have to be consumed as soon as a sniff of alcohol passes my way. No drink during the week and either a glass or two of wine or a few beers depending on the weather at the weekend

A big blowout on average about once a month which more keeps the wife happy that I can still be a bit of craic and get drunk every now and then ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

ye i'd never drink during the week, its always a binge on a saturday night out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I certainly dont give it up and i try to aim for top 10 in most races. Maybe that's what's keeping me from that top spot!

I dont really go out often but i would have approx 5 to 6 beers across the week with one night being 3 or 4 and the others just one here and there at home. So long as you arent getting rat arsed i dont see any problem with it.

Binge is the worst thing you could do though and if you did have aspirations of getting to the higher end of races that would need to stop.

ye my drinking would normally be once a week and considered a binge i suppose. but like i said, i give up the sauce the week before, so really it would be two weeks off the drink.

A week off it the week before the race wont do much. It'll have impacted the week before that. I think it takes something like 4 to 6 weeks for your body to get a "fitness/speed" improvement so the work you did just over a month ago is that which will gain you the time on the day. Everything up to the race from there is just about holding onto that speed and the weekly binges will really effect that. When you say "binge" how much are we talking? 3, 4 or even 5 shouldn't be too bad but if you're going over that you wont be doing yourself justice in your races. Then again it depends on your aims. If you just want to enjoy yourself why stop (well to a point! your health will also be at risk) but if you do wish to get competitive or even beat your own times then you'd need to stop the binges or at least hold them to every 2 to 3 months.

• Advertisement

Bambaata wrote: »
    A week off it the week before the race wont do much. It'll have impacted the week before that. I think it takes something like 4 to 6 weeks for your body to get a "fitness/speed" improvement so the work you did just over a month ago is that which will gain you the time on the day. Everything up to the race from there is just about holding onto that speed and the weekly binges will really effect that. When you say "binge" how much are we talking? 3, 4 or even 5 shouldn't be too bad but if you're going over that you wont be doing yourself justice in your races. Then again it depends on your aims. If you just want to enjoy yourself why stop (well to a point! your health will also be at risk) but if you do wish to get competitive or even beat your own times then you'd need to stop the binges or at least hold them to every 2 to 3 months.

well thats depressing

ah ye it would be over 5 anyway:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8 stanleybowles

I always have 2 drinks the night before. Helps me relax.

miller82 wrote: »
    well thats depressing

ha. Not meaning to sound harsh but if you're looking to compete then binge drinking wont help your cause!
    I always have 2 drinks the night before. Helps me relax.
    Id be the same. Id happily have a glass of wine or a beer to help sleep/relax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

well thats depressing

Do you want to drink or do well ?

Its as simple as that, you can't train properly with that in your system with the recovery time you'll loose at least 2 days a week.

I've all but cut it out, the odd glass of red wine is all i have. I honestly don't miss it as i want to get fitter and do these races. I want the races more than i want the drink.

Do you want to drink or do well ?

Its as simple as that, you can't train properly with that in your system with the recovery time you'll loose at least 2 days a week.

I've all but cut it out, the odd glass of red wine is all i have. I honestly don't miss it as i want to get fitter and do these races. I want the races more than i want the drink.

Can't i have both please :P

its hard during the summer though, theres something on (drink related) every weekend. I'd never lose more than one day, and even on that one day i'd try to do soemthing, even if its just cycle down to the gym and do a stretching session.
    I realise though that you can't do both flat out, something has to give. I suppose its about trying to get a balance and working out what works for you in terms of training and what you want to get out of it

I was more curious as to other peoples habits

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Your age would have a lot to do with it. In your 20's you should be able to burn the candle at both ends. It's in your 30's that the drinking starts to effect you and in particular the recovery period. I haven't had many Saturday nights out this year because that would mean missing my long run or cycle on the Sunday. I still like a few pints on a Sunday evening though.
    I know what you mean about there being something every weekend during the summer, I had a wedding Saturday and I'm doing the Athy Oly next Saturday so I went easy, still had a good drink but didn't tear the arse out of it.
    Pick your occasions to revolve around your races and then you can reward yourself with a good session after your races.

It's all about moderation and balance grasshopper.

its hard during the summer though, theres something on (drink related) every weekend. I'd never lose more than one day, and even on that one day i'd try to do soemthing, even if its just cycle down to the gym and do a stretching session.
    I realise though that you can't do both flat out, something has to give. I suppose its about trying to get a balance and working out what works for you in terms of training and what you want to get out of it

And is there a reason you have to drink at these events ?

You seem to be trying to justifying the once a week binge. As i said the question is which is more important the race or the rum;)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dave04

Great topic ! As it's something I've often worried about myself , perhaps looking at weekly units might help? I'm a shift worker so can end up working weekends or nights and as I work in healthcare it's not good for anyone if I'm not able to function at my best ....though wouldn't think twice about having one beer on a sunny morning after work at 0900 before going to bed ! [ the odd time!]
    As for effecting performance , I think personaly if your drinking regularly small amounts its becomming a bad habbit thats going to have a bearing because not least the accumulation of body fat , which you yourself dont immediately notice , but it's you thats got to carry it .
    It's about being honest with yourself , were all different so the amount of alchohol we drink effects in different ways , sorry if thats very broad sounding but Ithink you can have the best of both worlds, as it's already been said ... moderation .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I've tried both sides of the coin. Not drinking and training and drinking and training. Drinking and training was this year. Hasn't gone well. Also done not drinking (bar glass of wine at special occasions, and I mean a single glass JB), and training. Was flying, won a few races, did well. Was lean (10st 4 at 5 foot 10).

Drinking in moderation is fine. However by moderation I mine a glass of wine or a beer.

You say you only miss a day a week. Directly you have lost 15% of your training time. You have probably made another 30% sub standard.

You need to ask yourself - completion or competition. One of these works with alcohol abuse, one does not.

One other major point. Most of the people who regularly post on this forum are at the pointy end of the stick. Most are top 10% or top 10 finishers. They take it seriously. It's like asking a lad who plays junior B football about training and asking an inter county player. They both play the same game but at completely different levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Rawhead wrote: »
    One other major point. Most of the people who regularly post on this forum are at the pointy end of the stick. Most are top 10% or top 10 finishers. They take it seriously. It's like asking a lad who plays junior B football about training and asking an inter county player. They both play the same game but at completely different levels.

Ehh, not quite - the respondents on this thread and in the forum in general cover the spectrum of finishing placings...

However, the general point remains - no matter what your level, the more you drink, the slower you'll go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I strangely have had some of my best sessions the morning after a few glasses of wine/beer although it does not make it right.
    When it comes close to my A race i try and avoid it as much as i can although the odd glass here and there will not kill you. Most of us are not pros and its a hobby so as long as its done in moderation and a balance is found you should crack open that bottle of Châteauneuf du Pape you have been saving when you get home tonight:)

Horse crap of the highest order. I'm a 16 stone man who'll never be 10 top let alone top 100 in a race BUT whats the point in doing it if your not going to give your all and do yourself justice.

Football is different as you can train all you want but if you can't kick a ball you'll never make it to the higher levels. With something like triathlon proper training can see amazing improvments.

What is everyone getting so upset about. It's something we do around family, work and the rest of the stuff in life. I would still drink on a regular basis, I'm 35 and I won't be breaking any records at this stage. I train hard and I generally achieve a decent result (top 10%). I will not go to a family occasion or night out and sit sipping water boring the ****e out of people telling them about the big race I have in 2 months. Some of the folks on here are competing for top 10 finishes and alcohol will dull their edge no doubt. I do think that for the rest of us that a few pints is not going to be the cause of not making the A time for London.
    Moderation and balance.

What is everyone getting so upset about. It's something we do around family, work and the rest of the stuff in life. I would still drink on a regular basis, I'm 35 and I won't be breaking any records at this stage. I train hard and I generally achieve a decent result (top 10%). I will not go to a family occasion or night out and sit sipping water boring the ****e out of people telling them about the big race I have in 2 months. Some of the folks on here are competing for top 10 finishes and alcohol will dull their edge no doubt. I do think that for the rest of us that a few pints is not going to be the cause of not making the A time for London.
    Moderation and balance.

Yes but the OP was on about a good session on a sat night.............thats not a few pints. There is a difference and the one thing we all agree on is MODERATION.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Yes but the OP was on about a good session on a sat night.............thats not a few pints. There is a difference and the one thing we all agree on is MODERATION.

In the last 2 months I've been to two stag dos, a wedding, and my engagement party. Bit more than a "few pints" in each of those. I've also raced 4 times, with top 10% results in most if not all.

The next month sees another 4 races, another wedding and a mates 30th. I'll not be sticking to water in either of those.

A lot is about how you drink too. A long day at a stag or wedding I'll start a little later than everyone else if possible, and I'll stick to bottles for the day. And generally just drink at your own pace. You start firing pints down and it'll cost you a lot more than one days training. I'll also avoid any shots/shorts, but then I never was a big drinker of those anyway. Gave the wine a miss during dinner at the wedding too, as I've found lately that mixing drinks is much worse than it used to be. And I was ill coming into the wedding anyway so that wouldn't have been good.

To me a good session on a Saturday night means spending all day Sunday in bed, and Monday at work being not much better. So these are usually only at end of season and Christmas.

One of the biggest limiters for me these days is that I can't drink anymore. The fitter I've got the less I can drink.
    As I've said earlier though, age would be a big factor in recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

It was asked to complete ie top 25 to 75%
    and its 5 times better to train and drink
    than drink and not to train.

I mean most GAA ,rugby soccer guys drink .....and up to a very high level.
    Some triathletes want a life and are social people that like to drink
    of course you perform better without drinking but if you are a social person by nature that like to drink , i guess most people shorten their tri career by not drinking and after 3 years give up , I guess most people go further training and drinking for 5 years than living like a monk for 2 years and are out of tri as they cant do it .

And dosnt it get a bit embarrassing to see those guys that have the 6000 euro bike, compresions socks , never drink, live for triathlon and then do 5.32h (6.10 for a female) for an half Ironman , me thinks you better enjoy it drink a few have a few friends and do 5.48 .( honestly nobody will care if you do 5.32 or 5.48) some might care if you do 4.58 or 5.03 and if you go sub 4.20 or sub 5 for females you might get a sponsor .
    But I think overall , often we triathletes take ourselfs way to serious.

horses for courses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

peter kern wrote: »

Exactly. Relax and have a pint in the sun.

In the last 2 months I've been to two stag dos, a wedding, and my engagement party. Bit more than a "few pints" in each of those. I've also raced 4 times, with top 10% results in most if not all.

The next month sees another 4 races, another wedding and a mates 30th. I'll not be sticking to water in either of those.

A lot is about how you drink too. A long day at a stag or wedding I'll start a little later than everyone else if possible, and I'll stick to bottles for the day. And generally just drink at your own pace. You start firing pints down and it'll cost you a lot more than one days training. I'll also avoid any shots/shorts, but then I never was a big drinker of those anyway. Gave the wine a miss during dinner at the wedding too, as I've found lately that mixing drinks is much worse than it used to be. And I was ill coming into the wedding anyway so that wouldn't have been good.

To me a good session on a Saturday night means spending all day Sunday in bed, and Monday at work being not much better. So these are usually only at end of season and Christmas.

I'd kill for one of those..................2 small kids don't allow it:D

It was asked to complete ie top 25 to 75%
    and its 5 times better to train and drink
    than drink and not to train.

I mean most GAA ,rugby soccer guys drink .....and up to a very high level.
    Some triathletes want a life and are social people that like to drink
    of course you perform better without drinking but if you are a social person by nature that like to drink , i guess most people shorten their tri career by not drinking and after 3 years give up , I guess most people go further training and drinking for 5 years than living like a monk for 2 years and are out of tri as they cant do it .

And dosnt it get a bit embarrassing to see those guys that have the 6000 euro bike, compresions socks , never drink, live for triathlon and then do 5.32h (6.10 for a female) for an half Ironman , me thinks you better enjoy it drink a few have a few friends and do 5.48 .( honestly nobody will care if you do 5.32 or 5.48) some might care if you do 4.58 or 5.03 and if you go sub 4.20 or sub 5 for females you might get a sponsor .

horses for courses.

I think you'll find they will:rolleyes:

of course the athlete does ( and in a way thats good ) , but nobody than lets say bare 4 people around you will care.
    but they will go wow you did a half Ironman
    when they will say 'ok' when you say i just did an Oly distacne race in sub2 hours .

I can only think of bodybuilding where athletes seem to have the same obession
    I might be wrong with that !?

My worst coaching day was when a athelte of mine did his first Ironman in 9.02. which was an Irish record .
    for me that was the biggest coaching desaster ever. but maybe 7 or so people really cared as for 99 % it was a new iriah Ironman record.
    and I only understood my stupid thinkin last year when the course was way short and on a day like this 9.02 would have been 8.47 or so.

of course the athlete does ( and in a way thats good ) , but nobody than lets say bare 4 people around you will care.
    but they will go wow you did a half Ironman
    when they will say 'ok' when you say i just did an Oly distacne race in sub2 hours .

I can only think of bodybuilding where athletes seem to have the same obession
    I might be wrong with that !?

Ah i know Peter but to some people a PB by 1 second can mean more than than anything if they have no hope of winning.

Ah i know Peter but to some people a PB by 1 second can mean more than than anything if they have no hope of winning.

totally agree with that

but is it not also a pb to go 3 sec slower while enjoying life more.
    thats a life PB.

I have an athlete thats pretty good ,but has what I consider is a better life than most traithletes, I am not going to tell this athlete if you go out once a week less you will be faster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Binge drinking/getting smashed every weekend is bad for you.
    Will it affect your triathlon time? Almost certainly. But screw that, cut it down for better reasons, like your health.

Advertisement