Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Areas of Maths in Electronic Engineering??

• 28-05-2012 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I'm considering applying for the Electronic Systems Engineering Degree in CIT next year. Just wondering if anyone could recommend any reading materials that could get me prepared for/give me an idea of the areas of mathematics involved in this kind of course? Or if there is any primer type course that I could do in the meantime that would be of help? I'm a little concerned about my aptitude (or lack thereof) for maths! I know it'll be a challenge but I'm up for it. :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

well they should of course teach you any that you need, but it will involve areas like

trig, algebra and algebraic functions, vectors, matrices and a bucket load of calculuseses

edit

and stats. quite a few stats

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭dahamster

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Engineering-Mathematics-K-A-Stroud/dp/1403942463

is very useful for all engineering maths topics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

In second year in DIT, we've done:

Vectors
    Differentiation
    Integration
    Fourier Series
    Laplace Transforms

and a little probability and stats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

In the L6 online qualifier I just finished through IT Sligo we did Differentiation, Integration, Remainder/factor Theorem, Complex Numbers. That's to get into the ordinary degree final year in electronics, so roughly equivalent to second year.

Trig, algebra, quadratics etc were also covered, these would be essential to get through the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

Hi feno13,

Have a look through the list of modules taught in that course here:

http://courses.cit.ie/index.cfm/page/course/code/CR_EELES_8

Clicking on a module opens up a new link where they give some info about module content and recommended reading material

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 feno13

Excellent, all very helpful info. Thanks for that. I'm feeling more daunted by the minute by some of those areas of study it must be said. I'm 25 now and haven't done maths in any form since the leaving cert and even then I did ordinary level and got a B1 I think (my laziness at the time coupled with my maths teacher's incompetence were strong determining factors in this). Anyway, based on this can anyone with experience in this area of study tell me if I'm mad to be trying this or with enough groundwork between here and September 2013 is it possible to be set up well enough to give it a good go? I'm willing to work hard at it, I know I'll have to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Engineer Maths you say... try Ulysses by James Joyce!!

I won't lie to you engineering maths can be horrendous but it really depends on what parts of it you need to do. I'm not sure what the Electronics Systems courses consist of and the basic maths in electronics can be pretty straight forward (the stuff ciaranmac mentioned). Calculus is nasty though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

As ciaranmac said, algebra and trigonometry are essential. Also be able to use differentiation, integration and complex numbers. A little bit of graph plotting also would come in handy. Once you've got a good grasp of those areas, anything else that crops up you should be able to handle without too much hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Before you even start with the maths, learn Greek.

Advertisement