Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freeze concentration?

Options
  • 28-05-2012 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone tried this? I poured 1L of my matured ginger beer into two small 500ml jugs and stuck them in the freezer. The FG (before freezing) was .010 with 5.6% ABV. Has anyone any practical experience of this? There's definite layer of ice on top, should I just scrape it off and repeat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I've never done it, but that's how you do it. There are downsides to using this approach instead of distillation; Specifically you are concentrating the bad alcohol as well as the "good" alcohol. I'd say it would give you a pounding hangover.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Khannie wrote: »
    I've never done it, but that's how you do it. There are downsides to using this approach instead of distillation; Specifically you are concentrating the bad alcohol as well as the "good" alcohol. I'd say it would give you a pounding hangover.

yes, that is a problem with this approach in general.

Note that you need to scrape off ice regularly or you will end up extracting flavour.

If you think that the ice cubes have gone too far, lick them to see if you can taste your drink. If you can, leave the ice melt back in and do over.

The advantage of this approach is that it is pretty easy to do. I am not certain of the legalities of doing this without a license, but there is no suspicious equipment to get raided.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

sharingan wrote: »
    yes, that is a problem with this approach in general.

Note that you need to scrape off ice regularly or you will end up extracting flavour.

If you think that the ice cubes have gone too far, lick them to see if you can taste your drink. If you can, leave the ice melt back in and do over.

The advantage of this approach is that it is pretty easy to do. I am not certain of the legalities of doing this without a license, but there is no suspicious equipment to get raided.

I dont even think its worth doing..i mean,how much conccentrate will you get from a litre of 5.6% ginger beer?

Better to make it with more sugar and a champagne yeast,leave it for longer and backsweeten at the bottling stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Degsy wrote: »
    I dont even think its worth doing..i mean,how much conccentrate will you get from a litre of 5.6% ginger beer?

Better to make it with more sugar and a champagne yeast,leave it for longer and backsweeten at the bottling stage.

Thats a much better approach in general.

Champagne Yeast is awesome.

A high sugar ginger ferment could be a really good rum substitute.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

sharingan wrote: »
    Thats a much better approach in general.

Champagne Yeast is awesome.

A high sugar ginger ferment could be a really good rum substitute.

Gonna do it tommorow!!! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement