Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are there no litter wardens on Bray beach on weekends?

• 28-05-2012 12:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭

From Friday evening to Sunday evening there were thousands of people visiting the seafront and an awful lot of rubbish left.

This is an ongoing problem so why is there a reactive approach (beach cleaners) rather than a proactive approach (wardens asking people to clean up before it gets that bad).

I have no real issues with people drinking alcohol as long as they clean up after themselves and don't cause hassle for others - on Friday evening there was a woman taking a leak between one of the lamp posts and the wall - wonderful site, especially for her kids.

There were no Gardai (that I could see ) patrolling the seafront either so teens down the harbour were getting tanked up making it unpleasant for those out for a walk.

Public drinking is illegal and when you see groups of lads walking down to the beach from the local off licenses with bags of booze, it isn't hard to imagine that they will be drinking it, be getting drunk in the sun and then leaving their bottles behind (and possibly smashed).

Any chance the Gardai could patrol the seafront to prevent the above from happening? Where's the new Brendan? :)

Maybe a few more prominent signs down the beach are needed. Many Bray residents use the seafront in the mornings and it's a always a horrible to be greeted with the site of debris when all you want to do is enjoy the place.

Comments

I agree completely.

The list of Bray counsellors is here. Pop them a mail and see what they'll say.

I can imagine it's budgetary reasons. But you would think it would be cheaper to hire people to patrol the beach instead of clean it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Does Bray even have a litter warden? I've never seen one. Even if there was, he'd probably be as effective as the parking warden who wanders past cars parked illegally all along Bray main street as if he hadn't even seen them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I agree completely.

The list of Bray counsellors is here. Pop them a mail and see what they'll say.

I can imagine it's budgetary reasons. But you would think it would be cheaper to hire people to patrol the beach instead of clean it.

If it was for budgetary reasons, they'd make it up in the number of fines handed out....

€150 per fine. Surely they'd rake it in seeing how much rubbish is left each evening. Might be a fantastic way to increase revenues!

Let's say they hired a team of 6 to go out and encourage people to use the bins, even if they only caught 4 people a day, that's €600 each which would more than pay for their day;s work. Sure, put them on commission and see how many people they'd fine.

I think it's mainly about visibility.

In terms of the teens leaving rubbish, it seems to be an odd attitude of one not wanting to be seen to be responsible. I saw a group of 15 or so getting up and none of them picking up after themselves.

A gentle nudge by a warden might help them to think about it a bit. "howya lads, enoying the beach? Cool. Listen, we're just trying to make sure that it's clean and tidy later on so if you could help us out and pop your rubbish in that bin over there when you're finished, that'd be great. Cheers and thanks for your help"

Ideally a combined approach from the Gardai and the wardens - might work wonders....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

It really is disgusting how people treat beaches and other beauty spots. Unfortunately I think tighter policing and making sure takeaways, off licences and other businesses are doing something about litter emanating from their premises is the best way forward.
    Re the litter wardens I'd guess its due to a ban on overtime but I'm not sure. I know that they are not a very good deterrent to littering. They get laughed at, insulted etc and most people do not pay on the spot fines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Also

"Community police bray" posts here from time to time

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=470281

And "cllrmcmanus"

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=505553

So you could pm them and ask them to maybe read through this thread and respond

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Was very nice down the beach today... no one drinking alcohol.

Maybe they all had a heavy night last night.

Cleaners on the beach too.

Advertisement