Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just a quick Batch priming question

Options
  • 28-05-2012 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Alright guys,

Just about to bottle a batch of Pale Ale, however I've never used batch priming before. I've had a few packets of coopers carb drops that I've been using. I normally use 1 drop per pint bottle as i don't like my beer too carbonated.

Been using beersmith with great results and just wanted to make sure on the quantities from someone more knowledgeable.

Batch size is 19L - Beersmith tells me 136g of DME will give me a carb level of 2.0vol (which is showing up as slightly under for the style) Does this seem right?

Does anyone know how i could theoretically calculate how much carbonation 1 drop per pint bottle would give me so i could match it?

Cheers!!
    :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

Each carbonation drop is meant to be approx 3.2g. Really need to weigh a few to confirm this. Made up of 73% sucrose and 27% glucose. Your probably looking at about 2.5 vol of Co2 per carb drop in a 500ml bottle. I just did it roughly with 6.16g of sucrose giving 2.5 vol of Co2 per litre, bottled at 19C. I usually shoot for about 2.5 vol of co2 for my beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

sarahn11 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how i could theoretically calculate how much carbonation 1 drop per pint bottle would give me so i could match it?

1 drop per pint = 1.75 drops per litre. For 19 litres that would be 33.25 drops.

There are 60 drops in a 250g packet so each drop works out at 4.15g (edit: I just see mayto's post....weighing the drops is the best way to determine it). Multiply that by 33.25 and you get 137g. It's fair to assume that the carbonation drops are more or less all fermentable sugar. I know nothing about DME, but 136g is shockingly close to the 137 that that calculation comes out with so if DME is fully fermentable then I'd say you're spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sarahn11

Thanks for the replys lads!
    sadly I've no drops left to weigh, but those calculations seem sound, and agrees with figures from beersmith so am just gonna go with the 137g of DME!

just gotta finish sanitising these bottles first......:rolleyes:

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

DME isn't fully fermentable, it's about 75% iirc.
    That calculation BeerSmith gave you sounds about right.
    You could use sugar also which would require less and get similar results.
    I'd usually go for a carbonation of about 2.4 for pale ales, if you like them fizzy 2.0 might be a tad on the low side.

Edit: just seen that you don't like them fizzy, 2.0 should be fine in that case! :)

Advertisement