Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best post run drink?

• 28-05-2012 12:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭

Good Afternoon Folks,

Just looking for a bit of advice on what the best post run drink is.

All i ever drink is water and plenty of it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

Good Afternoon Folks,

Just looking for a bit of advice on what the best post run drink is.

All i ever drink is water and plenty of it

I drink the Maxifuel recovery or Kinetica 100% Recovery. I do think it helps the legs to recover quicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Might be off on a tangent here but a pint bottle of Bulmers with ice can't be beaten in this weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Might be off on a tangent here but a pint bottle of Bulmers with ice can't be beaten in this weather.
    I'd go with a nice Wessbier. In fact, the non-alcoholic variety is a perfect recovery drink.

If beer (and hangovers) are not to your post-race taste, choose from:
    1) Chocolate milk
    2) A pint of full-fat milk
    3) 500ml water with a nuun tablet
    4) Half water, half fruit juice with a pinch of salt
    5) Isotonic sports drink (but I generally finds these horrible after a race)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

SnailsPace wrote: »
    I drink the Maxifuel recovery or Kinetica 100% Recovery. I do think it helps the legs to recover quicker.
    Dietitian recommended ON 2:1:1 for me. Was taking Kinetica. ON is better value.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Mack11

I have used the ON and found it really good. Kinetica done a sample session with their 3 recovery products at the Valentia Tri. I found the Orange Mango & Wild Berry very effective. I managed to get some samples on their website also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

I'm off to Italy shortly for a couple of weeks and plan on plenty of warm weather runs. Anyone have strong recommendations for a recovery drink/supplement that is easy to carry (e.g. powder or tablets) and is good for particularly warm weather training.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

wrstan wrote: »
    I'm off to Italy shortly for a couple of weeks and plan on plenty of warm weather runs. Anyone have strong recommendations for a recovery drink/supplement that is easy to carry (e.g. powder or tablets) and is good for particularly warm weather training.
    Thanks

A recovery drink/supplement is not something you drink during a run. Its very different to the question you are asking. It is stop you wasting mussel mass and repair damage quicker etc. You are looking on how to stay hydrated/cool during a run. White clothes and a hat, running early in the morning or late in the evening and drink water before you go is all you should need and if that is too hard then slow down.

Thanks Rom, sorry for the lack of clarity in my question. I meant was easy to carry on the plane, not during a run :o something that I can stick in a suitcase without adding too much baggage weight.
    My question is more about rehydration and replacement of electrolytes immediately after a warm weather run, rather than muscle repair. I tend not to drink during a run. I am open to all recommendations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

wrstan wrote: »
    Thanks Rom, sorry for the lack of clarity in my question. I meant was easy to carry on the plane, not during a run :o something that I can stick in a suitcase without adding too much baggage weight.
    My question is more about rehydration and replacement of electrolytes immediately after a warm weather run, rather than muscle repair. I tend not to drink during a run. I am open to all recommendations.
    You could try something like Science in Sport drinks. They come in sachets. I like Nuun tablets. They're more about electrolyte replacement, but they're dead handy to carry. Both are available from wiggle.co.uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GKiraly

Chocolate mint flavoured Kinetica protein shake in full fat milk does it for me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

You could try something like Science in Sport drinks. They come in sachets. I like Nuun tablets. They're more about electrolyte replacement, but they're dead handy to carry. Both are available from wiggle.co.uk.

For Goodness Shakes come in handy sachets too.

When is the best time to take a protein supplement as opposed to a rehydration drink?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Any (non-beer, though that's very tempting :pac: ) dairy-free suggestions for a good recovery drink?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Any (non-beer, though that's very tempting :pac: ) dairy-free suggestions for a good recovery drink?

http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/soy_protein_isolate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I tried sugar-free coconut water recently as I saw some recommendations for it on Runners' World. It's a nice drink (when you're dying of thirst and don't care what it tastes like) ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Non alcholic Erdinger is suprisingly good.

I was amazed to find SiS Rego at one of the larger Tescos last weekend, so I picked up one of the 500g bottles and have started to try that after my sessions. I also picked up a few tubes of Nuun from Wiggle to take on my holidays. It's the first time I have taken anything other than Lucozade sport after a session. Thanks for the suggestions.
    B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭meijin

or any other protein from that site really - but some have weird taste; and even if you have problems with dairy, whey is usually still OK (not if you're allergic I guess)

+ carbs (maltodextrin, glucose)
    http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Nutrient_Timing is very informative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Frijji Shakes are chuffing gorgeous. I get them in Tesco, they're a chocolate milk but much thicker than a Yazoo. They have a Fudge Brownee flavour which is excellent. Lots of sugar and protein which is what you want after a run with relatively low fat.

Advertisement