Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Remember when Mars bars & Taytos were 30p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

5p for a whoppa, peppermint, spermint and cola nom nom...

10p for a chomp.

1p for penny sweets 100 for 1 pound, happy days...

I can remember when petrol was 27p back around 1989, my da though that was expensive...

Wouldn't be putting that in my mouth. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Leaded or unleaded petrol

My teacher swore that her car ran better if she mixed them, I forget the ratio

All gone now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Ah the day when you got 50p to go to the shop, and come out with more crap than you knew what to do with.

Mr. Freezes we're serious, no matter what time of the year, I still have memories of cycling around the place with a mr. Freeze hanging out of my mouth, the jumbo ones they brought out where very cool too. They have stopped selling them separately now which I think is a crying shame, our shop lady refused to sell them to us when they werent frozen, because apparently it wasnt good to drink them, can anyone shed some light on why???

I also remember tattoos were a serious selling point, I remember getting bags of perri taytos just for them, there were a few but I distinctly remember a rose. Most annoying thing was going through the whole process wetting it the right ammount and then waiting the right ammount of time before gently pulling the paper off to get your flawless tattoo, the mammy would come on a scrub it off that night, because you couldn't go into school looking like that!

In fact on the point of free stuff like tattoos why don't the feckers give anything away anymore, cerals don't even have prizes anymore, what's that about like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I remember when they were free, i win the thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

10 Smokes 92p

Matches 8p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Country Spring

3 litres of flavoured hydrochloric acid for next to nathin' and you still had change left over to buy some chocolate cigerattes.

Or Spiderman cigarattes. Commonly referred to as "Spidey Smokes".

Liptons Iced Tea

Every year during Wimbledon in the early nineties there would be a huge campaign
    Ads everywhere, billboards, TV, radio, everywhere
    Clearly worked as I still remember it

Pretty much all the shops had it.

But haven't seen it on sale in years and years, probably over a decade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

My local shop sold single smokes for 10p each

Can you still by smokes in 15 pack ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

Anyone else feeling hungry reading this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Fat frogs rocked also

Apple Drops were great but crap when hey started sticking togather or too he paper bag or even worse to the bottom of your Pocket :D

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭HappyBalance

Lads its called inflation. Prices rise every year. The cost of ingredients go up also. It is basic economics. Inflation albeit small amounts are a good thing for an economy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

Craebear wrote: »
    Do penny sweets cost 1c these days?

No such thing as 1c sweets. Petty there isn't. Rememeber the 10p mix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

I remember when we had to plant our own spuds, grow the feckers, pick em, peel em, slice em, fry em in sunflower oil, add E-numbers and artificial flavours all on our own!!

Them were the days!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Atomicjuicer

WIZE wrote: »
    Fat frogs rocked also

Didn't they come back?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Beruthiel wrote: »
    I remember when Tayto was 3p.
    7p is my earliest memory, around 1978 (Mars bars were 10p at the same time!). I recall they went up by a penny a year for a few years after that.

There was an Irish politician in the seventies who said if the price of a pint ever hit one punt while they were in government then they've failed and they should all resign

The price went up and has stayed going up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

remember being 8 or 9, getting a pound NOTE for our pocket money.

we'd go down to the local shop, buy a bar, can and packet of crisps, and still have change to put in our BOI (iirc) savings box, with a combination lock on the back (we were too cool for Henry Hippo).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Lads its called inflation. Prices rise every year. The cost of ingredients go up also. It is basic economics. Inflation albeit small amounts are a good thing for an economy.

good man mr. killington!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

I remember when Friday use to be treat day.
    1 pound mam use to give me and it would get me a chocolate bar,crisps, fizzy drink and the change in jellies :)

Nowadays treat days for little ones consist of a takeaway and ice cream thats costs €6 (Ben&Jerry's)

Bar and crisps are a daily treat :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Pre-Euro these items were around the 30p mark

Em no, they weren't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,526 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

stovelid wrote: »
    TK Cream Soda.

Diabetes in a bottle.

That is all.

TK Cream Soda had quite a low sugar content in it compared to other soft drinks. It was 2g/100ml if I remember rightly. Most soft drinks are around the 10g mark. Of course sugar doesn't cause diabetes anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

I remember a £1 for dinner equalled 10 smokes for 85p, a book of matches for 5p and 2packets of meanies for 10p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Jaysus, I can't remember last weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Sketch, everybody.

Teacher's here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

kowloon wrote: »
    TK Cream Soda had quite a low sugar content in it compared to other soft drinks. It was 2g/100ml if I remember rightly. Most soft drinks are around the 10g mark. Of course sugar doesn't cause diabetes anyway.

I'd say you're a scream at parties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

10p for a chomp.

bloody 25c these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

When I was a kid, my mother would send me down to the corner store with a quid and I'd come back with five pounds of potatoes,two loaves of bread,three pints of milk,a pound of cheese,a packet of tea, and half a dozen eggs.

You can't do that now.

Too many fookin security cameras :mad:

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

1 penny sweets and dime bars or the pink stick of rock those were the days when cigarettes were 1.10 or 20p per single cigarette i used to get every week at the top of thomas street in limerick,cheaper simpler times not like now with water charges ,and the unjust household tax valuations of people that payed for their houses and those who cannot afford such charges..and income rate of tax didnt come down yet on top of all that

thinking about good old fashioned sweets for 1p takes ur mind off all that crap..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I genuinly think the price of chocolate is bloody ridiculous now. its like 1.10 - 1.30 for a bar. Jesus christ almight its a rip off! As a chocoholic this seriously worries me. Its just bloody Ireland though, I dont think there is a need to raise it so high.

Also, I remember going to shop and getting a cadet lemonade, a bar of caramello bar and a pack of disco's all for about one pound after school. Where did it all go wrong :(

• Advertisement

You can't do that now.

Too many fookin security cameras :mad:

In primary school I developed a right little knacker trick. Lean against the chocolate rack while talking to friends, with one arm layed out for support. From there on you can quietly slide the chocolate bars up your sleeve with the swipe of one finger under your palm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

cocoshovel wrote: »
    I genuinly think the price of chocolate is bloody ridiculous now. its like 1.10 - 1.30 for a bar. Jesus christ almight its a rip off! As a chocoholic this seriously worries me. Its just bloody Ireland though, I dont think there is a need to raise it so high.

Have you considered Aldi or Lidl?

Confab wrote: »
    Have you considered Aldi or Lidl?

Something about the chocolate there isnt the same to be honest. I have gotten it lots of times, but its lacking something, or tastes like its been sitting on the shelf for years. Their biscutis are fine though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Something about the chocolate there isnt the same to be honest. I have gotten it lots of times, but its lacking something, or tastes like its been sitting on the shelf for years. Their biscutis are fine though

Yep, it tastes like real chocolate. Funny the way Irish people seem to think Cadburys is real chocolate. In reality it's manky oversweet crap. I'm Irish too, btw.

Confab wrote: »
    Yep, it tastes like real chocolate. Funny the way Irish people seem to think Cadburys is real chocolate. In reality it's manky oversweet crap. I'm Irish too, btw.

Im not talking about the different brands there. Im talking about the brands such as cadburies, nestle and Kinder that they sell. Its not as nice for some reason. I wouldnt go as far as to say there is a REAL chocolate. Different tastes for different people. I enjoy sweet chocolate, and the only cadburies I really like are Caramello and Caramel. Nestle is nice enough. Some fancy brands are great but often feel too rich for my liking.

Currently I m enjoying a Meiji and Pocky (white box). Have a stack of it in my room. Toblerone is great too. I seriously cannot live without chocolate :(

Right, I'm just back from Tesco, where I got a refresher bar for 17c, a sherbet fountain for 29c, and a 4 pack of wispas for €1.13. The refresher bar was tiny compared to when I was a kid, but all in all not bad value considering I paid €1.29 for a crunchie in spar recently, the thieving bastards.

The refresher bar was tiny compared to when I was a kid,

Or maybe your hands are larger? :)

mikemac1 wrote: »

Nope. They have clearly reduced the size of all chocolate/sweets. Yet they leave the wrappers the same size to make people not notice :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

So do I.

I remember being able to take 50p to the shop and getting a packet of Tayto (starter), a Mars Bar (main course) and a quarter of Wine Gums (dessert).

Happy days those.

Stork

• Advertisement

mikemac1 wrote: »

That too, but they are clearly much smaller than they used to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I remember Mars bars going up from 4d to 5d.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Chipsticks for 6p.....yummy!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

When they packaged Mr Freezes, the would trap the liquid in between adjacent tubes in a sort of perfect mini-Mr Freeze tube, orthogonal to the standard size Mr Freezes.
    I would cut them off and give them to my Action Force figures and wonder if the red cobra troopers were really just repurposed Nazi soldiers.
    They had the same helmets and gas mask boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Me too. Remember when they went up to 5p ("silver money"), we though Jesus's return was just around the corner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

storker wrote: »
    So do I.

I remember being able to take 50p to the shop and getting a packet of Tayto (starter), a Mars Bar (main course) and a quarter of Wine Gums (dessert).

Happy days those.

Stork

50p!!!!! What kind of rich kid were you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Talking to a guy over the weekend who was telling me that cigarettes were 20p a pack when he started smoking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

This thread reminded me of this

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭genfoley

ahhhh tuxy the tears are ROLLIN' down me face !!!!! thanks for sharing x

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Warden13

1992 The Paddock Pub Naas two pints ten silk cut purple and a box of matches and five pence change out of a fiver oh happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

Warden13 wrote: »
    1992 The Paddock Pub Naas two pints ten silk cut purple and a box of matches and five pence change out of a fiver oh happy days

yeah but back then a fiver was like 3 blowjobs or 7 hand shandies

• Advertisement
Advertisement