Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Remember when Mars bars & Taytos were 30p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Warden13

As far as I am concerned this discussion was about nostalgia not your sad disgusting vulgarity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭little swift

a bus into fairview to the pic's was 2p a marsbar was 8p and a bottle of milk i think 15p a packet of mayday was 5p and i remember buying a bag of broken snacksbars for 10p.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭cold case

I feel so old! I remember getting a newspaper cone of bon bons for 1d (yes, 1 'old' penny). The old lady in the shop (she was probably 40!) used to roll up squares of paper into a cone shape, and fill them up with sweets! Happy Days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

cold case wrote: »
    I feel so old! I remember getting a newspaper cone of bon bons for 1d (yes, 1 'old' penny). The old lady in the shop (she was probably 40!) used to roll up squares of paper into a cone shape, and fill them up with sweets! Happy Days!

1d.......old pennys.......... I'm sorry but you ARE old if u used them.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

Warden13 wrote: »
    As far as I am concerned this discussion was about nostalgia not your sad disgusting vulgarity

I apologise, I keep forgetting that the open discussion of self prostitution prices is still considered vulgar in certain parts.
    I'm "new money" you see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Beruthiel wrote: »
    I remember when Tayto was 3p.

Yeah, but there was a 50/50 chance of getting killed by a sabre-tooth tiger on the way back from the shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I remember when the Irish Independant was a respected and quality newspaper ;)

Those days are long gone

crazygeryy wrote: »
    1d.......old pennys.......... I'm sorry but you ARE old if u used them.

That's so funny! I am only 50! The 'new' money came in in 1971! When you are 50, you will realize that it's not so bad! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

That's so funny! I am only 50! The 'new' money came in in 1971! When you are 50, you will realize that it's not so bad! :D

oh no i didnt say it was bad and im not far behind you lol but i dont remember 1 d and old pennys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,828 ✭✭✭✭looksee

ah phooey - I was going to say I win 'cos I remember when a Mars bar was 6d and completely out of reach when the sweets allowance was 3d. I do however still have a sweets ration book...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I remember Tayto being 7 1/2 p . . i also remember eating paper and viscount bars that came in mint or honeycomb flavour. . they were amazing.. white mice.. and they were massive cola bottles were bigger too . . i'm on a very restrictive diet at the moment and this is not helping at all at all . . :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I don't remember any of these things.

I remember you could get a slice of HB ice-cream between two wafers for 2p. For a rare treat you could get a really thick slice for 4p.
    I also remember my mother getting 'a pounds worth of petrol', and you would get sheets of green-shield stamps with that! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 ClosedAccount

Craebear wrote: »
    Do penny sweets cost 1c these days?

My local shop sells those fizzy strawberry jellys for 15c each...

Is by new money you mean you got rich from pimping prostitutes or you just discovered the decimal point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭Archeron

I remember for 10p you could get a square box of edible letters that appeared to he made out of chalk and earwax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Anyone remember Crunchos? They were the absolute business. Wasn't even that long ago - 10 years maybe? Little more? Hard to even find anything about them on the internet, which surprises me.

Oh I remember them and washing them down with a super can of fanta followed by a fat frog (the ice pop)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Maybe I'm not old enough but i never remember a time when Tayto's were close to 10p. Must be poor but Tayto's and Mars bars were always out of my price range growing up.

Burger bites, Chickatees, Meanies , Wheelies and my favourite Banshee bones (mmmm, lip tingling!) along with Roy of the rovers, desperate dan, Frosties and washed down with those little cadet bottles
    stovelid wrote: »
    Back when crisps were actually called Cheese and Onion and not things like Orkney Cheddar and Caramelized Shallot.
    I like to call it the M&S rule of food morketing
    Place name (usually exotic) + adjective + food = sales

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Anyone remember Crunchos? They were the absolute business. Wasn't even that long ago - 10 years maybe? Little more? Hard to even find anything about them on the internet, which surprises me.

LOVED Cruncho's, hot dog flavour iirc.

Also does any one remember "Sam Spudz" crisps when they first came out?
    It was like "feck you Tayto and King we have found a new mistress":D

Oh and "Patsy Pops". They were orange ice pops and I have never tasted anything quite as good as them since :(

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

Tayto were 4p and i still have a 4p bag i found in garden few years ago..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Country Spring

3 litres of flavoured hydrochloric acid for next to nathin' and you still had change left over to buy some chocolate cigerattes.

Still making it Duggy. And it's still as nice as ever. :)
    Rastapitts wrote: »
    its never been the same since tenpenny bags went

I remember ones called "Fives". They cost 5p. This was around 1995.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I remember when penny sweets were a penny and Meanies were 10p all right.

Also remember when I was about 10 or 11 I used to do a run to the shops with £2 for bags of meanies and flog them to the other kids who weren't allowed go to the shops through the front window at the hyperinflated price of 20p. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

forfuxsake wrote: »
    I remember a £1 for dinner equalled 10 smokes for 85p, a book of matches for 5p and 2packets of meanies for 10p.

Now this would really be a lesson in economics!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

Warden13 wrote: »
    Is by new money you mean you got rich from pimping prostitutes or you just discovered the decimal point

Nope, I never really brought in much.
    I made my money in pork chops, pork chops exclusively cleaved from the hog using nothing but all natural karate chops.
    I call them "squared chops"
    You can get them in most parts Except for Naas, because Naas keeps it kosher.

Incidentally the decmimal point was discovered way before I first devided my numerator by a denominator, some kind of greek I think may have done that first

• Advertisement

I remember my Granny asking me "what's that in old money"

And she telling me about 240 pennies in the punt
    What kind of messed up system is that???
    Thank god for the decimal system

I still remember the half penny though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Cavan cola if you wanted to work a fizzy drink into your sweet budget, or cadet.
    Apples drops and kola kubes were a stable.
    Banshee bones were amazing back then.

As an aside, I don't think I ever stole so much as a penny from my mother or father.
    mikemac1 wrote: »
    Supercans
    Bring them back I say!

Anyone remember the 1/2 penny?
    And shops would even cut a penny sweet in two for you

Saw some supercans the other day, can't recall where or what they were...
    In one place where I lived briefly as a kid, they'd give me a penny sweet when I bought something, like if I was getting milk (asked too). I thought it was amazing that they gave me a free sweet.
    Do they make Mr. Freeze anymore?
    Haven't seen them in years
    Oh I'd love a blue Mr Freeze right now

Have a friend who ate 238 Mr Freezes in one summer. We kept track. Hero.
    Lads its called inflation. Prices rise every year. The cost of ingredients go up also. It is basic economics. Inflation albeit small amounts are a good thing for an economy.

Thanks for the lesson.
    Inflation aside obviously, why do the cost of ingredients constantly rise as you are claiming? Can't fathom that.

Someone mentioned Smiley bars....
    Knew two brothers who were (somewhat meanly but hiliarious to us at the time) nicknamed Smiley and Chomp.

lol, fun times.

I do remember Tayto being under 10p. Vaguely but I do. Must have been early or mid 80s. I remember Perri crisps being 20p a bag in the early 90s, used to buy a bag every afternoon after school with the 20p our parents gave us to get us out of their shop and go eat sweets somewhere else. They, I seem to remember, were far nicer than Tayto!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

No, but I remember when mars bars were palatable.. n that's going back a while too; it was before they mucked with the nougat!

The mammy told me that children died from chewing gum
    I would either choke on it or it would get stuck in my stomach and I'd be in serious pain

Children believe what they are told and can be conditioned for life

I haven't bought a pack of chewing gum in over two decades

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

The mammy told me that children died from chewing gum
    I would either choke on it or it would get stuck in my stomach and I'd be in serious pain

Children believe what they are told and can be conditioned for life

I haven't bought a pack of chewing gum in over two decades

But did you know a kid who picked other peoples gum off the ground and then ate it????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I remember when all there was to eat was primordial soup.

I can has prize please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I just had a flash back to Saturday night, when i forked over €1:50 for a pack of Meanies. When did that massive price hike happen?

smokedeels wrote: »
    €1:50 for a pack of Meanies.

Name and shame!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

I remember growing up back in the states when $1 got you 4 snickers bars, and not a one of them had an image of Mr T on it. I also recall 60cents(USD)/GALLON petrol. Ugh. I'm ancient. That was 1986 or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Name and shame!

It was one of the big companies, Londis I think.

I was drunk at the time, hopefully the crafty swine didn't trick me and pocket some of the cash.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

First thing I'm doing when I take over the world in the confectionery department is to bring back Smiley bars on a compulsory two-a-day basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭madmaxi

Beano or Dandy comic 12.5p
    Dale farm Ice Pop 5p
    Swizzle stick 2p
    Toffee log 2p
    Battle of the planets bar 5p
    Big foot bar 10p
    Time bar 10p
    Dib Dab 5p
    Pack of 4 PK chewing gum 5p
    Finger of fudge 17p
    Can of coke 32p
    Monster munch was all the rage but I can't remember the price :( & there was only 1 flavour available picked onion, even though other flavours were advertised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

How much are Stingers these days?

Always used to be a reliable 20c.

Then there was Roy Of The Rovers, wasn't as fond of that and the magnificent Refresher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I can remember so far back that there wasn't even decimal money and the advertising slogan for Tayto was: "The crisps that go 'crunch'.":rolleyes:

The noise used to do my head when everyone was eating them in the cinema.:eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

stovelid wrote: »
    I'd say you're a scream at parties.

Parties?! I have no time for parties as long as people are wrong on the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Reindeer wrote: »
    I remember growing up back in the states when $1 got you 4 snickers bars, and not a one of them had an image of Mr T on it. I also recall 60cents(USD)/GALLON petrol. Ugh. I'm ancient. That was 1986 or so.
    That doesn't seem that good. Here in the UK in Asda you can get 4 Snickers for £1.

USD $1 in 1986 roughly equal to GBP£0.68

£0.68 in 1986 is equivalent to £1.62 today

Snickers have actually decreased (by approx 40%) in price:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

And 99,s were less then 99p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    That doesn't seem that good. Here in the UK in Asda you can get 4 Snickers for £1.

USD $1 in 1986 roughly equal to GBP£0.68

£0.68 in 1986 is equivalent to £1.62 today

Snickers have actually decreased (by approx 40%) in price:eek:

And 400g Dairy Milks for £2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

I remember Tayto being 16p for what seemed forever...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Floppybits

mishkalucy wrote: »
    LOVED Cruncho's, hot dog flavour iirc.

Also does any one remember "Sam Spudz" crisps when they first came out?
    It was like "feck you Tayto and King we have found a new mistress":D

Oh and "Patsy Pops". They were orange ice pops and I have never tasted anything quite as good as them since :(

I love Cruncho's, what an ugly looking crips but the hog flavour was the best.

I remember when ever I had one of those giant mr freeze cool pops the each corner of my lips would be sore from the plastic. Still didnt stop me gobbling them. Anyone remember Wham bars and the green one think it was called a gorgonzola bar? How I still have teeth left is a miracle. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    I can remember so far back that there wasn't even decimal money and the advertising slogan for Tayto was: "The crisps that go 'crunch'.":rolleyes:

The noise used to do my head when everyone was eating them in the cinema.:eek::eek:

In the cinema where you had to watch thru a haze of cigarette smoke - and never sit under the balcony:D

I remember Tayto at 6p, but all my money went on toffee logs and penny pieces - have the fillings to prove it:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Floppybits wrote: »
    I love Cruncho's, what an ugly looking crips but the hog flavour was the best.

I remember when ever I had one of those giant mr freeze cool pops the each corner of my lips would be sore from the plastic. Still didnt stop me gobbling them. Anyone remember Wham bars and the green one think it was called a gorgonzola bar? How I still have teeth left is a miracle. :)

Crun-chos sandwich for lunch in school - a slice of the cheapest white bread, mayo, half a packet of Crun-chos.
    Fold over, stuff in face.

And the green bar like a Wham bar was a Gorgo, I believe. It had black shiny bits in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,015 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I remember being outraged when a bag of Tayto went up to 13p.
    I have a packet of Tayto marked 3p. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

When a Star Bar was a Nunch, and cost around 10p.

Advertisement