Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Remember when Mars bars & Taytos were 30p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Did jawbreakers realy break young childrens jaws? :confused::)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

We can't bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to tell 'em stories that don't go anywhere - like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. "Give me five bees for a quarter," you'd say.

Now where were we? Oh yeah: the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭ian87

I remember when a can was 50p and a pound would get a pack of skittles, a snickers and a bag of taytos. And change for a macaroon bar for the cycle home...

fat frogs were the biz..

a couple of 10p mixs would see you through until "little break" at 11am... just had to be careful when unwrapping your fruit salads, postman pats, or black jacks that teacher wouldnt hear... I used to have awful coughs those mornings...

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    We can't bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to tell 'em stories that don't go anywhere - like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. "Give me five bees for a quarter," you'd say.

Now where were we? Oh yeah: the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

Wrong thread ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

cold case wrote: »
    I feel so old! I remember getting a newspaper cone of bon bons for 1d (yes, 1 'old' penny). The old lady in the shop (she was probably 40!) used to roll up squares of paper into a cone shape, and fill them up with sweets! Happy Days!

Me too!! On a Sunday after Mass:) Is it my imagination or have Curly Wurly's started to come in minature form?? I remember them as a much loved orgy of sweetness that could, if managed right, last two days!!! 1972 it made it's appearance if I remember correctly!!

• Advertisement

The greatest name for an icecream ever
    The person who invented that name was a genius

Here's a pic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I remember when penny sweets were a penny :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

I must be old. I remember paying 13p for a packet of Tayto when I was a nipper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Anyone remember cans of Smak? The Pineapple used to be nice!

Think they still sell it up the North

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Some of you are so old :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

cloud493 wrote: »
    I bet that Tardis you're in is has a great big room with a massive central console and all sorts of golden lights and what not. My Tardis interior is a small white room with a small hexagonal console and Lalla Ward in the corner.

cloud493 wrote: »

Away ya pup with your Kings Crisps that cost over a euro

You missed out on a golden age of sweets and supercans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Krispie

frag420 wrote: »
    I remember when we had to plant our own spuds, grow the feckers, pick em, peel em, slice em, fry em in sunflower oil, add E-numbers and artificial flavours all on our own!!

Them were the days!!

You lucky b****rd. Grow spuds.
    I remember we had to dig hole, jump into it, with old eaten spuds, get brother to fill hole with us in it, put old spud in sock and wait till it grew and dig our way out then sell spud for tuppence down market.
    Ah but we were happy.......

Yorkshiremen Sketch by Python. This thread is not far from it. Class.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

The only crisps I ever saw cheap were the really bad ones, like disco's, and rip off monster munch :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

I used to be given 15p to go to school. 5p for the bus there, 5p for the bus back, and 5p for sweets...

J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Macers

Tangy Bars for 5p and Postman Pat sweets for 1p...

Memories...

(Koppaberg Strawberry and Lime tastes like Postman Pat sweets so I'm told. Memories and drunkenness)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I used to collect crisp bags when I was young, freaky deaky I know. And not different types of crisp packets, mainly Tayto. Had them in tin boxes and had bags branded from 2p up to 13p over a number of years. I went to the Gaeltacht one year for a week and when I came back, the mother had dumped the lot. :(

Coulda been worth millions by now *

* If for example they were made of gold OR we were in a parallel universe where crisp bags are currency OR a wealthy arab decided he'd collect Tayto bags from the 70's and 80's

Tango Orange, not seen it in years and years

I hear the Corkonians are keeping it all for themselves

Sharing is caring!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

5p lucky bags, blue for boys and red for girls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

yeah, what happened to manhattan popcorn that was like 30c, small bag of maltesers, and a can/small bottle of coke costing less than 2e altogether?!
    thats been my little cinema treat bag for as long as i can remember, but now tbh it doesnt seem like your getting such a great deal when that adds up to over 4e now :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

In the early/mid 80s, I'd blow 10p for a Macaroon bar. Or, if flush and needing to make a statement, 30p for a Tiffin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

football cards 2p...........and the stick of gum.........oh the smell mmmmmh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Macers wrote: »
    Tangy Bars for 5p and Postman Pat sweets s)

Forgot about these. They'd rot the teeth straight out of your head but they were yum at the time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Remember we used to get toys in our Cereal :D

Or collect tokens on the box

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

Does my memory serve correctly in thinking that when Magnum Ice Creams first came along they were very expensive at a whopping 80p? Maybe it was more like £1.20, very expensive anyway. Pringles a similar story.

Just one cornetto
    Give it to me
    You must be joking
    They cost 50p

Do you remember the Three Tenors during Italia 90? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Bring back the Roy of the Rovers bars.....and Desperate Dan ones too!

I not so long ago bought two boxes of Wham Bars, they were nearly out of date so were on the (very!) cheap. My God they still taste magnificent :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29 rocketchick

mikemac1 wrote: »
    The mammy told me that children died from chewing gum
    I would either choke on it or it would get stuck in my stomach and I'd be in serious pain

Children believe what they are told and can be conditioned for life

I haven't bought a pack of chewing gum in over two decades

I have told my kids this..:) but have also told them once you start chewing on chewing gum your tummy keeps chewing waiting for food and then you start to eat yourself from the outside in soon after nothing will be left except the clothes you are wearing..
    anytime we see a shoe or a top on the ground thats whats left of teh people who skipped breakfast and had chewing gum instead..:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

A-Team crisps for 10p

Refresher sweets for 3p

100 penny sweets for a punt

I even remember when they brought out the brand new shiny bronze coloured 20p coin with a horsey on it

• Advertisement

Shops would accept sterling coins no bother
    The 5p and the 10p and the 50p
    Oh and the 1p and the 2p

Never the 20p

However British shops would never accept Irish coins

We're a laid back bunch, we Irish :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Most the time sterling was worth more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Yup, I remember a summer in Donegal during the mid nineties, visiting my cousins, I was shocked how the local shops accepted "English money" as well as our beloved punt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,261 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

There's a shop around the corner from me that sells Crunchie's for 7 Czech crowns, roughly 28c. In fairness, it is most likely left-over product from some UK shops but they're still in date and still gorgeous.

Mars and Snickers can be got for 10 crowns (about 40c) and Kinder Bueno's are about 16 crowns (64c).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Top Cat opens on Friday ..

I suggest an After Hours nostalgia trip to the flicks, stopping off at Mr Simms Olde Sweetshop on route.

Then here on the way home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

There's a shop around the corner from me that sells Crunchie's for 7 Czech crowns, roughly 28c. In fairness, it is most likely left-over product from some UK shops but they're still in date and still gorgeous.

Mars and Snickers can be got for 10 crowns (about 40c) and Kinder Bueno's are about 16 crowns (64c).

Didn't know you were living in Ballaghaderreen too? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    When did confectionery get so mad expensive ?.
    I think its cheaper these days, but I only buy mulitpacks, you'd be mental to buy in a newsagent. In the 80's the price difference between multipacks & singles was nowhere near what it was today. Cheapest I remember twix being was 22p that is 28 euro cent, I have gotten 5 packs for €1.25 a fair few times, and €1.50 a lot of the time. 1.25 for 5 is 25cent a bar. Load of bars are pick & mix 5 for €2 in €2 shops.
    Truth be told: nobody will ever make a nicer pack of crisps than 'Ma Reilly's.
    Mrs McGreedy could! the old woman in the rocking chair. And I remember sam spudz crinkly smokey bacon with the detective on the back.

I remember chipper bags of chips being 50p, supercans of lilt for 33p in dunnes

You can see old prices of guinness here
    http://www.finfacts.ie/Private/bestprice/guinnessindex.htm

They compare them to the average industrial wage as a ratio, and it is pretty steady over the years. People moan about the price of pints but they are comparing it to off licence prices. The cheapest cans are cheaper now. ~18 years ago the cheapest cans were usually £1, €1.27

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

cold case wrote: »
    I remember you could get a slice of HB ice-cream between two wafers for 2p. For a rare treat you could get a really thick slice for 4p.
    I also remember my mother getting 'a pounds worth of petrol', and you would get sheets of green-shield stamps with that! :)

Green Shield stamps...the memories...being given sheets of them and told, "lick those and stick them on that sheet" when my mother wanted to send off for a new pressure cooker, or whatever.

That reminds me, anyone remember the post office savings stamps with the cow on them? I think they were 5p.

Stork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Jeez this thread is like the bleedin Ray Darcy show meets Neil Delamare ,,,

Here's a question for the OP

Do you remember when only yer granny would say "I remember when taytos were 3 and 6 pence " but alas now it's uber cool for thirty somethings to be nostalgic in a kind of shabby chic way.

It's called inflation people get over it.

It's obvious the "All things retro" forum has just gotten sooo passeee

Do ye remember the good old days when AH was about utter contempt for various OP's postings and Blastings of p**s... sigh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

"That-Away" ice pops

They were red pointing fingers and were lush

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

''..................and the rest in jellies''

That's how every trip to the shop should end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭madmaxi

After posting last night, alot of happy memories came flooding back, my other half mentioned a particular website. So this evening we went back down memory lane and placed a delicous order for most of my childhood sweets here :):):):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Just thought of another two I loved

Panky bars and cinder toffee

Think I have put on two pounds just posting in this thread:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,526 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

madmaxi wrote: »
    After posting last night, alot of happy memories came flooding back, my other half mentioned a particular website. So this evening we went back down memory lane and placed a delicous order for most of my childhood sweets here :):):):):)

Great site that. Has a few bits I haven't seen in a newsagent in years.

I remember chewing gum in the shape of a record and the sleeve had song words on them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Speaking of drinking cool mr freezes before they where frozen, anybody remember tip top drinks that where in clear container with a sealed top that you pierced with the straw? ahhhhhhh:):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Anyone remember them golf ball chewing gum things? They were deadly, and proper cheap too.

Oh and chocolate coins. Quality stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭wyrn

I can only remember tayto at 10p. Last weekend I was home home and I ended up in the local sweet shop that has not changed in the last 20 years. I bought three Mr. Freezes (although they were fancy flavours, turns out yellow is not lemon but tropical!). It came to 75c! Just for the normal sized ones.

Although I was just happy that they were frozen. Remember the heat wave (96?), Mr. Frreze's flew out of the shop, so you'd have to wait until the new batch was frozen - they wouldn't sell them otherwise.

I had to laugh at myself because I found myself automatically checking the number before I opened it. A #10 would get you a free Mr. Freeze (or we called them frozen drinks). Another family owned sweet shop owner would hide them.

Oh and I'd kill for a packet of Worcester sauce Tayto!

wyrn wrote: »
    Remember the heat wave (96?),

Clare won the All Ireland that year

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mravaya

I remember getting a pack for threepence thats 3d when we had Pounds Shilling and pence
    £ S D 12d was 1 shilling and 20 Shillings was £1 pre decimilisation which happened in 1971 I think

mikemac1 wrote: »
    wyrn wrote: »
    Remember the heat wave (96?),

Clare won the All Ireland that year
    My son was born Sept 17/09/95 , it was a Sunday and Dublin won the all Ireland football finals, we left hospital on the Thursday and the weather was glorious.

• Advertisement
Advertisement