Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - Honeymoon in Australia

Options
  • 28-05-2012 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

We are thinking of going to Australia for our honeymoon - trouble is, we haven't a clue on where we should go or what we should do!

Thinking of flying into Sydney and staying 4/5 days and then drive up the east coast, taking in the sights along the way and staying in accommodation along the way.

Anything we should be taking in? Surfers Paradise? Fraser Island? Brisbane??

Going early October by the way, for 3/4 weeks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

The aus dollar is at its stronest ever against the euro, if you were my friend I'd sooner recommend a driving holiday in the US rather than Oz. Hawaii?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

culsoh wrote: »
    We are thinking of going to Australia for our honeymoon - trouble is, we haven't a clue on where we should go or what we should do!

Thinking of flying into Sydney and staying 4/5 days and then drive up the east coast, taking in the sights along the way and staying in accommodation along the way.

Anything we should be taking in? Surfers Paradise? Fraser Island? Brisbane??

Going early October by the way, for 3/4 weeks.

To be honest if it was a honeymoon I'd avoid Sydney. Nice city n' all but its just that.. a city.

Surfers Paradise is nice but I wouldn't call it a honeymoon destination either!

If you decide on somewhere in Oz I'd recommend spending a week in Fiji. Its around a 5-6 hour flight from Sydney.. The islands are absolutely stunning! You can go to Islands which are specifically for honeymooners. No kids, no traffic and the locals will really look after you

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

Port Douglas which is about 45 mins from Cairns is lovely if you just want to relax for a couple of days. Its very quiet and scenic and you can snorkel/dive the Great Barrier Reef from there if you want.
    The Whitsunday Islands are amazing, especially Hamilton Island- particularly for Honeymooners! Its not cheap though!! I didnt really like Surfers Paradise when I was there- its a drugfest in my opinion. Sydney is well worth going to for a few days but maybe towards the end of your holiday as its pretty full on. Melbourne and the Great Ocean Road are class as well. Hope you enjoy whatever you decide!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Other than it being a honeymoon you haven't given any indication of what you like to do? Activities, outdoor, clubbing, etc.

Sydney can be explored in a day or two, Harbour bridge, etc - maybe Blue Mountains aswell. Whitsundays and Fraser Island definitely recommended - maybe travel as far up as Cairns. All depends on what type of holiday you're looking for.

The West coast is also worth a look, not so much Perth, but Margaret River to the south and north to either Exmouth/Broome

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

i've done what you are thinking a few years back.

we hit sydney then on to Cairns so we could hit the great barrier reef, then Brisbane and took a drive up the gold coast/surfers paradise then on to Uluru/Ayres Rock then melbourse and took a trip up the great ocean road. basically did 3-4 days in each. sydney was probably the one that had least to do, though as others said you could look at heading out to the blue mountains

for Uluru you'd only really need 2 days at most especially if you fly in. you land mid day and leave mid day back then they did a dinner in the outback trip well worth it watching sunset and the changing of the colours of Uluru, then you get up next day to see the sunrise also spectacular stuff to see.

the great Ocean Road is great, we took a bus tour but you can do it yourself too. if you do drive there's an RSL club in a town called Colac the food was great home cooked food and dirt cheap too. Oh and dont forget the Neighbours tour while in Melbourne :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭seamusmcspud

I had my honeymoon there too last year. loved it. a real fly drive holiday. Started in Darwin rented a 4wd and did all the outback stuff (saw all kinds of cool animals) which was my personal favourite. then Cairns and all around there up as far as cape tribulation. Down to Brisbane and Australia zoo, if you could get in fraser island its spectacular!!!! then down to Sydney but we had loads of friends there too. we took 6 weeks but did a lot of relaxing and riding too ;) enjoy youself what ever your decide!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭kingcharles82

how much would a holiday to oz cost?is their honeymoon packages for aroung 16-18 days

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Bogwarryor

The whitsunday islands are ideal for a honeymoon, its real paradise & not too far off the map. The tablelands around Cairns are abundant with waterfalls & retreats, Broome & the Kimberleys is paradise....

Advertisement