Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Number of Geography SRP'S - Help please :)

• 28-05-2012 1:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭

Hi, I just did the 2007 Q.2 Physical Question there and i'm wondering would anyone be able to tell me how many/a rough idea of how many SRP's I have per answer.

The (B) was Landform Development:

In this answer, the river processes involved (erosion) of a waterfall will be discussed and explained. Irish Example- Torc Waterfall Co. Kerry

(Labelled Diagram)

Waterfalls are vertical drops in the upper course of a river caused by vertical erosion.
    The main processes involved in the formation of a waterfall include- hydraulic action, abrasion, attrition and solution.
    Hydraulic action is the force of moving water on the land. It forces out loose rocks and soil from the riverbanks and beds in the river.
    Abrasion is the wearing away of the river bed by the use of its load. Rocks, pebbles, sand and silt all scrape away at the banks and channels of the river.
    Overtime, the banks will collapse and the soft-rock will be eroded faster than the hard rock- this process is known as differentiational erosion.
    The back wall of the waterfall will also eventually be dissolved by the processes of splashing and solution.
    Overtime, the overhang of the waterfall will collapse and this will be transported downstream by the process of attrition.
    It will then be eroded by the processes of- solution, saltation, suspension and traction.
    The plunge pool of the waterfall will also eventually become deeper by the swirling action of the pebbles and rock within it. This process is known as eddying.
    Overtime, the waterfall will receed upstream and a steep sided gorge will eventually form

Part (C) was Human Interaction with the rock cycle:

In this answer, I will discuss how humans have interacted with the rock cycle by the production of Geothermal energy which occurs in Iceland.

(Labelled Diagram)

Geothermal energy uses heat from igneous rocks to heat water, produce steam and generate electricity.
    This occurs mainly in Iceland due to the high level of volcanic activity in thiis region as the country is near a plate boundary. Geothermal energy also occurs in New Zealand.
    Geothermal Energy is responsible for the production of 26% of the electricity produced in Iceland.
    Geothermal energy provides 89% of the electricity used in homes/industry in the capital city of Iceland.
    Boiling water is collected through large pipes that are placed almost 200km down into the mantle.
    The water is superheated but remains liquid due to the great pressure being exerted on it through rocks above.
    Large pipes of cold water (10^c) are pumped down to the mantle and are returned to the surface where it changes to steam and this steam is used to turn turbines connected to generators and produce electricity.
    Geothermal energy has helped Iceland to reduce the need t purchase oil and has lessened imports thus improving the countries balance of trade.
    Geothermal energy is a clean, emission free source of energy, which is much cleaner and better to the environment than fossil fuels. Because of this Iceland is one of the cleanest countries in the world.
    Geothermal energy has helped increase the level of tourism in Iceland. Many tourists come to the mineral rich 'blue lagoon' spa complex to relax in the outdoor heated pools.
    Tourists also visit the many geysers and geothermal springs which also help attract tourists.
    Last year, over 1/2 a million tourists visited Iceland which has contributed millions of euro the countries economy in terms of tax revenue.

Thanks a million in advance to anyone that helps!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭skanger

Hi, I just did the 2007 Q.2 Physical Question there and i'm wondering would anyone be able to tell me how many/a rough idea of how many SRP's I have per answer.

The (B) was Landform Development:

In this answer, the river processes involved (erosion) of a waterfall will be discussed and explained. Irish Example- Torc Waterfall Co. Kerry SRPx2

(Labelled Diagram) SRPx3

Waterfalls are vertical drops in the upper course of a river caused by vertical erosion. SRP
    The main processes involved in the formation of a waterfall include- hydraulic action, abrasion, attrition and solution. SRP
    Hydraulic action is the force of moving water on the land. It forces out loose rocks and soil from the riverbanks and beds in the river.
    Abrasion is the wearing away of the river bed by the use of its load. Rocks, pebbles, sand and silt all scrape away at the banks and channels of the river.SRP
    Overtime, the banks will collapse and the soft-rock will be eroded faster than the hard rock- this process is known as differentiational erosion. SRP
    The back wall of the waterfall will also eventually be dissolved by the processes of splashing and solution.
    Overtime, the overhang of the waterfall will collapse and this will be transported downstream by the process of attrition.
    It will then be eroded by the processes of- solution, saltation, suspension and traction. SRP he says you should explain some of these processes
    The plunge pool of the waterfall will also eventually become deeper by the swirling action of the pebbles and rock within it. This process is known as eddying. SRP
    Overtime, the waterfall will receed upstream and a steep sided gorge will eventually form
    SRP

24/30

Part (C) was Human Interaction with the rock cycle:

In this answer, I will discuss how humans have interacted with the rock cycle by the production of Geothermal energy which occurs in Iceland.

(Labelled Diagram)

Geothermal energy uses heat from igneous rocks to heat water, produce steam and generate electricity. SRP
    This occurs mainly in Iceland due to the high level of volcanic activity in thiis region as the country is near a plate boundary. Geothermal energy also occurs in New Zealand. SRP
    Geothermal Energy is responsible for the production of 26% of the electricity produced in Iceland. SRP
    Geothermal energy provides 89% of the electricity used in homes/industry in the capital city of Iceland. SRP, he says he'll always give an SRP for stats but not everyone feels this way
    Boiling water is collected through large pipes that are placed almost 200km down into the mantle. SRP
    The water is superheated but remains liquid due to the great pressure being exerted on it through rocks above. SRP
    Large pipes of cold water (10^c) are pumped down to the mantle and are returned to the surface where it changes to steam and this steam is used to turn turbines connected to generators and produce electricity. SRP
    Geothermal energy has helped Iceland to reduce the need t purchase oil and has lessened imports thus improving the countries balance of trade.
    Geothermal energy is a clean, emission free source of energy, which is much cleaner and better to the environment than fossil fuels. Because of this Iceland is one of the cleanest countries in the world. SRP
    Geothermal energy has helped increase the level of tourism in Iceland. Many tourists come to the mineral rich 'blue lagoon' spa complex to relax in the outdoor heated pools. SRP
    Tourists also visit the many geysers and geothermal springs which also help attract tourists. SRP
    Last year, over 1/2 a million tourists visited Iceland which has contributed millions of euro the countries economy in terms of tax revenue.
    SRP

22/30

Thanks a million in advance to anyone that helps!

I am sitting with my geo teacher right now I had him take a look since I'm curious too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

skanger wrote: »
    I am sitting with my geo teacher right now I had him take a look since I'm curious too
    Thank you! Q: Do you not get 2 marks for naming what interaction with the rock cycle you're going to discuss?

Thank you! Q: Do you not get 2 marks for naming what interaction with the rock cycle you're going to discuss?

'Geothermal energy uses heat from igneous rocks to heat water, produce steam and generate electricity'. SRP

I assume that's it ^^^

Here's hoping he doesn't see this later
    he's a bit of a twat when it comes to marking

Really nice man though

And he missed the diagram in your part (c) too, I did mining though so I don't know if you get SRP's for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Hydraulic action is the force of moving water on the land. It forces out loose rocks and soil from the riverbanks and beds in the river. No SRP?
    Abrasion is the wearing away of the river bed by the use of its load. Rocks, pebbles, sand and silt all scrape away at the banks and channels of the river.SRP
    Overtime, the banks will collapse and the soft-rock will be eroded faster than the hard rock- this process is known as differentiational erosion. SRP
    Just wondering, why would the single process of diff erosion get an SRP, whereas the two, hydraulic action and abrasion, only get 1 between them? Seems a little uneven :pac:
    This too - I'd have thought that counts as an economic benefit. I realize thats not the focus of the question but it's still quite relevant I would have thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

skanger wrote: »
    'Geothermal energy uses heat from igneous rocks to heat water, produce steam and generate electricity'. SRP

I assume that's it ^^^

Here's hoping he doesn't see this later
    he's a bit of a twat when it comes to marking

Really nice man though
    Oh, ok. I think you're supposed to get an SRP for an example aswell, he left that out too! Thanks for that though! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Looking at your waterfall question it seems like a nice compact answer :P
    The answer I know is kinda long though it does have all the processes in it..
    Just thinking to myself that maybe your style of answer would be better :)

Oh, ok. I think you're supposed to get an SRP for an example aswell, he left that out too! Thanks for that though! :D

'This occurs mainly in Iceland due to the high level of volcanic activity in thiis region as the country is near a plate boundary. Geothermal energy also occurs in New Zealand' I think the SRP here was for the example, if he comes back for after break I'll ask him again, sorry he wasn't more help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭bobjimmy

Sorry for intruding but i was wondering how much marks i would get for this answer.
    Landform Development- Beachs

Beaches are features of deposition found in coastal areas between high and low tide. They are generally found in areas where there is an inlet or sheltered area, between headlands or a change in the coastline which causes sediment to be trapped and build up. If a beach is found in a bay it is called a bay head beach.

Beaches are areas of sand, shingle and larger stones. They are created by a number of factors:

Destructive waves are waves that create coastal features. The swash is more powerful than the backwash and material is pushed up the coastline. As the wave flows back down the coastline much of the water percolates down through the sand and the backwash does not have enough energy to remove much material.

Longshore drift is the movement of material along the coastline in a zig-zag manner. The waves approach the beach at an angle but return in a straight manner and sediment is carried along by this process until it is interrupted by a headland or change in coastline.

Beaches can be divided into three main areas:

Foreshore: the part of the beach closest to the water. Here features such as runnels and ridges may be found. These are long rises and depressions in the sand parallel to the coastline and formed by constructive waves breaking.

The middle shore is the part of the beach where ripple marks are found. These are gentle lines in the sand created by the swash. Beach cusps may also be found here. These are crescent shaped hollows in the beach where you tend to find the shingle changes to softer sand. Berms are long, narrow ridges of stones and shingles which tend to mark the dividing point of the middle shore and backshore. This tends to be the area that the waves reach when the tide is in.

Finally the backshore is the area where the storm beach, sand dunes and cliff face are found. A storm beach is the area where strong waves have moved larger pieces of material up the beach. Some beaches have natural or man-made dunes (mounds of sand usually anchored by marram grass) and some have boulder clay or rocky cliffs marking the end of the beach.

Examples of beaches include:

· Tramore Beach Waterford

· Curracloe Beach, Wexford

· Bondi Beach, Sydney, Australia.

(Labelled Diagram)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Scarlett Scout

bobjimmy wrote: »
    Sorry for intruding but i was wondering how much marks i would get for this answer.
    Landform Development- Beachs

Beaches are features of deposition found in coastal areas between high and low tide. They are generally found in areas where there is an inlet or sheltered area, between headlands or a change in the coastline which causes sediment to be trapped and build up. If a beach is found in a bay it is called a bay head beach.

Beaches are areas of sand, shingle and larger stones. They are created by a number of factors:

Destructive CONSTRUCTIVE waves are waves that create coastal features. The swash is more powerful than the backwash and material is pushed up the coastline. As the wave flows back down the coastline much of the water percolates down through the sand and the backwash does not have enough energy to remove much material.

Longshore drift is the movement of material along the coastline in a zig-zag manner. The waves approach the beach at an angle but return in a straight manner and sediment is carried along by this process until it is interrupted by a headland or change in coastline.

Beaches can be divided into three main areas:

Foreshore: the part of the beach closest to the water. Here features such as runnels and ridges may be found. These are long rises and depressions in the sand parallel to the coastline and formed by constructive waves breaking.

The middle shore is the part of the beach where ripple marks are found. These are gentle lines in the sand created by the swash. Beach cusps may also be found here. These are crescent shaped hollows in the beach where you tend to find the shingle changes to softer sand. Berms are long, narrow ridges of stones and shingles which tend to mark the dividing point of the middle shore and backshore. This tends to be the area that the waves reach when the tide is in.

Finally the backshore is the area where the storm beach, sand dunes and cliff face are found. A storm beach is the area where strong waves have moved larger pieces of material up the beach. Some beaches have natural or man-made dunes (mounds of sand usually anchored by marram grass) and some have boulder clay or rocky cliffs marking the end of the beach.

Examples of beaches include:

· Tramore Beach Waterford

· Curracloe Beach, Wexford

· Bondi Beach, Sydney, Australia.

(Labelled Diagram)

i'd say maybe 20/30 (im a student)
    • Always draw a labelled diagram-4marks
    • Remember only give 1 example and make sure its an irish example backshore is at the back of the beach-steepest slope-Its not the storm beach.
    • Storm beach is behind backshore -only reached by large storm waves contains large rocks, boulders.
    possible srps
    • fine sand =foreshore=gentlest slope
    • shingle=midshore=slope 15'
    • rocks,stones=backshore=steepest
    • marram grass found on sand dune to hold the sand dune in place-roots stabilise the lose sand, plant catches more sand
    • wind has to be coming in from the sea for dunes to form
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Sorry to intrude on your thread PictureFrame but there is no point making another thread, so i thought someone could give me a grade for this answer :)
    I am unsure as to what this answer would be worth so any help would be appreciated.

Changing land use zones
    • Urban land-use zones change over time.Land use change leads to planning issues.Planning is integral to the development of modern cities and the zones that develop neet to be managed by planners.
    • The most important zones that need to be managed are residential,industrial,recreational,commercial and transport.
    • The changing nature of cities leads to the constant flux of land use zones.
    • One example of this land use change is Dublin City Centre.
    • Divided by the River Liffey,Viking Dublin was established at Christchurch.This medieval served many functions as can be seen by its place names e.g. Cow's Lane and Exchange Street.
    • The city expanded from this point in the centuries that followed.As Dublin grew,the use of these streets changed also.
    • Dublin's CBD(Central Business District) shifted down river towards O'Connell Street and Grafton Street.The port function also changed as it is now located in Dublin's Docklands.
    • The Docklands are a good example of a further recent change of land use as Dublin has grown from the port function of the 18th,19th and 20th century,
    • This locality has changed to a residential,commercial and financial one with the development of apartments,shopping areas and the IFSC.
    • Dublin has lost some functions and gained others,showing constant change in land-use.
    • As the population of a region grows,the CBD in the region expands.The demand for services forces buildings upwards and outwards of the city centre.
    • There are now more multi-storey buildings in the city centre than the suburbs due to high land value prices.One examle of this change can be seen in the change of the low rise structure of inner city residential dwellins built at the end of the 19th and early 20th century.
    • These can be compared with the high-rise apartments of today along the banks of th Liffey.
    • The same can be said for the areas in Dublin's Docklands ; Dublin has followed the development patterns of this area in England.
    • The changes in London's Docklands occurred prior to those in Dublin and planners in Ireland were able to learn from the experiences there.

Advertisement