Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Racism Euros - Panorama tonight 8.30 BBC1

• 28-05-2012 1:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭

Should be interesting enough. Basically they highlight some of the racist grounds in the Ukraine and Poland. Personally Sol Campbell coming out advising fans not to travel is sad and racist in itself. Though no doubt there could be trouble at this tournament.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Warper wrote: »
    Should be interesting enough. Basically they highlight some of the racist grounds in the Ukraine and Poland. Personally Sol Campbell coming out advising fans not to travel is sad and racist in itself. Though no doubt there could be trouble at this tournament.
    Funny in a way considering that normally the English fans are responsible for quite alot of the trouble, boo opposing teams national anthems and have a nice repetoire of racist chants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

??!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

WTF are racist grounds? Do the stands shout abuse at players!?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

WTF are racist grounds? Do the stands shout abuse at players!?:confused:

Lansdowne Road has escalators that activate when a person stands on them.

Perhaps these high-tech pol/urk stadia have sensors that detect travelling fans and then a recording plays "go back to your own county." over the intercom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Personally Sol Campbell coming out advising fans not to travel is sad and racist in itself. .

Does this mean all Irish barstoolers are racist towards the English? :pac:

• Advertisement

How is Sol Cambell advising people not to travel considered racist? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

I hear ye're a racist now Poland..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

stovelid wrote: »
    Does this mean all Irish barstoolers are racist towards the English? :pac:

I'll definitely be shouting for the Irish and booing everything Terry,Lampard and Cole do.

Thats how I roll. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Funny in a way considering that normally the English fans are responsible for quite alot of the trouble, boo opposing teams national anthems and have a nice repetoire of racist chants.

Ah you're so 20th century. It "a lot" btw not alot, I won't even comment on your French...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Personally Sol Campbell coming out advising fans not to travel is sad

You're right. I highly doubt he is an expert on racism in Ukraine and with the tournament being so close his opinion is hardly gonna determine whether people go or not, so why give him airtime? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Seems like the British media have found their new scapegoat.

How many articles and programs is that now on the 'racism in Europe' ?

Reminds me of those 'YOU'RE GONNA GET STABBED AND RAPED AND KILLED IN SOUTH AFRICA' bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭RoryMac

mike65 wrote: »
    Ah you're so 20th century. It "a lot" btw not alot, I won't even comment on your French...

cough cough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Personally Sol Campbell coming out advising fans not to travel is sad and racist in itself

How?

There's areas of Eastern Europe that I wouldn't have gone near if I wasn't white. The amount of skinheads in some areas of Ukraine is worrying, people shouldn't risk it for a football match.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

smokedeels wrote: »
    How?

There's areas of Eastern Europe that I wouldn't have gone near if I wasn't white. The amount of skinheads in some areas of Ukraine is worrying, people shouldn't risk it for a football match.

How many times have you been to Ukraine, if I might ask ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

rasist.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

The polish / Ukraine authorities came across very poorly. All sorts of nasty stuff was shown as rife amongst the countries fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

Wow that was unbelievable!

Speechless. Was their ticket allocations to ukranian and polish people for every game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

So there's lads who live facist ideals, training for street combat, with the intention of 'removing' foreign people from their country. And the Euro's will provide them with ample targets.

Obviously the point of that documentary was to convince us of something. Of course, there's probably instances of racial violence in Poland/Ukraine all the time, that we are unaware of. With the focus of Europe on those two countries though, it will appear as though the racial violence has increased double-fold - that's what the media will be trying to get through to us. However, seeing that documentary, and the evidence that racial violence and football are inextricably linked, the media will be right, to a certain degree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

It does look very bad. If i wasn't white i would have second thoughts about travelling there myself. It has been well flagged at this stage that there are lots of hooligans rubbling their hands with glee at the Euros. The police/security will be everywhere though as they dont want a bad rep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,962 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I've been to Poland quite a few times for work and made 2 trips to Ukraine aswell over the last few years and this documentary just highlights what is common knowledge to many who have visited those places.
    The level of anti white racism is very high, and to be honest in my experience its not at all difficult to find the ''Ultra'' factions and I've been to more than a few games there particularly in Lódz, Warsaw and Krakow(Which was shockingly violent) and a couple of games in Kiev where this behaviour was openly flaunted by the Ultra's and totally ignored by the Police.
    The motivation of UEFA in granting the tournament to Poland/Ukraine is suspect to say the least...
    I hope the tournament passes without incident, but the level of regular violence that UEFA have ignored in granting this tournament is shocking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

It does look very bad. If i wasn't white i would have second thoughts about travelling there myself. It has been well flagged at this stage that there are lots of hooligans rubbling their hands with glee at the Euros. The police/security will be everywhere though as they dont want a bad rep.

And the BBC have done their job, so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Were you to follow groups of young men outside of football grounds in England and Scotland you would see much the same thing.

Not in the grounds anymore but definitely outside the grounds.

Not to mention England fans travelling en masse abroad.

Case of BBC throwing stones in glasshouses me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Is there anyway to see this again? Missed it and didnt set to record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

its_phil wrote: »
    Is there anyway to see this again? Missed it and didnt set to record.

Repeated on Wednesday morning at 4.30am on BBC1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I didn't watch the program so not sure what was shown, but I'm pretty sure you could make every country seem racist in half an hour. There are ultra contingents in Poland and Ukraine, and people should be wary, but this media stuff is a lot of bull**** tbh.

I've been to Poland before, and whilst I am white, it's nothing you won't see in bad areas in other countries

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Boxfresh wrote: »
    Repeated on Wednesday morning at 4.30am on BBC1

But I want it now!

Cheers set to record now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Stan Collymore sums this programme up best for me :

Stan Collymore ‏@StanCollymore
    Will BBC be showing London riot videos pre Olympics? Highlighting racist twitter abuse to black Britons?Showing "Paki/BNP" on estate walls?

Were you to follow groups of young men outside of football grounds in England and Scotland you would see much the same thing.

Not in the grounds any more but definitely outside the grounds.

The BBC were pointing out huge potential threats to anyone who is Jewish, not white or indeed possibly not Polish or Ukrainian. Part of me hopes some Paddies get smashed on day one so the smugness is wiped away pretty quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The BBC were pointing out huge potential threats to anyone who is Jewish, not white or indeed possibly not Polish or Ukrainian. Part of me hopes some Paddies get smashed on day one so the smugness is wiped away pretty quickly.

Please tell me I am reading this wrong way?

You'll find anti Semetic chants at Sol's old club the Gooners Arsenal.
    They do this as Spurs has a sizeable Jewish following.
    As for Chelsea!

Please refer to Stan Collymore's comments tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Not in the grounds anymore but definitely outside the grounds.

No you wouldn't. I wish people would stop making inane moral equivalencies where there are none. I've only been to Poland once and my stay was short but I witnessed racist incidents there way beyond anything I have seen in other countries. To seek to compare what was shown on that show and the absolute inaction by the police is ridiculous IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 337 ✭✭Sacred_git

I would imagine there will be a huge police presence for these games, hopefully all will be well. However, white supremacists/neo nazis have a major presence in these countries, that's well known,, but I would hope if you don't go looking for it, it won't find you!!

Einhard wrote: »
    No you wouldn't. I wish people would stop making inane moral equivalencies where there are none. I've only been to Poland once and my stay was short but I witnessed racist incidents there way beyond anything I have seen in other countries. To seek to compare what was shown on that show and the absolute inaction by the police is ridiculous IMO.

Arsenal fans have a chant 'zkylon b' or 'hitler was a gooner'.
    Zkylon B was the gas used in concentration camps.
    Sol slipped past this but condemned anti Semetic chants in Poland.

I put it this way.

I would feel lot more safer wearing a Irish jersey the middle of English football supporters then in middle of Polish or Ukraine supporters.

The English hooligan will only want fight back at hooligans. I have seen some of Eastern European supporters attack elderly women and Fathers with their kids.

• Advertisement

I put it this way.

I would feel lot more safer wearing a Irish jersey the middle of English football supporters then in middle of Polish or Ukraine supporters.

The English hooligan will only want fight back at hooligans. I have seen some of Eastern European supporters attack elderly women and Fathers with their kids.

Landsdowne Road 1995.

Landsdown Road x 10 is what people should be focusing on now rather than indulging in the "oh da Brits they can talk" routine.

Landsdowne Road 1995.

Yes they could have done some serious damage, but there aim was still to take on anybody who wanted to fight or Gardai.

If you were at the Ireland v Poland game in Croker few years ago you might have idea as what im on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

I was at a game in the Metalist stadium in 2006 when Everton played a Europa League qualifier. We were more afraid of the police, who spent the whole day trying to extort money from us. The Metalist fans were no problem, although there was large segregation of fans and I wouldn't have gone if I'd see that program.

Lumbo wrote: »
    I was at a game in the Metalist stadium in 2006 when Everton played a Europa League qualifier. We were more afraid of the police, who spent the whole day trying to extort money from us. The Metalist fans were no problem, although there was large segregation of fans and I wouldn't have gone if I'd see that program.

I had work colleague who was Scottish and they played them 3-4 years ago and he said he had pay police for protection when left the stadium.

• Advertisement

Yes they could have done some serious damage, but there aim was still to take on anybody who wanted to fight or Gardai.

If you were at the Ireland v Poland game in Croker few years ago you might have idea as what im on about.

If you had been to the old Highbury, the Emirates or the Bridge in London or in pubs before and after the games I have been at you would accept the ugly element of the game across the water.

You don't appear to be because the UK media is loathe to cover it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

What sort of twisted logic is that ??

So I'm heading over and could easily end up on the wrong side of a hiding for nothing which would then be OK cause it appeases some twisted desire of yours:confused:

FFS Mike tell me I have this wrong. .

If you had been to the old Highbury, the Emirates or the Bridge in London or in pubs before and after the games I have been at you would accept the ugly element of the game across the water.

You don't appear to be because the UK media is loathe to cover it.

I have been to many a United away matches(say 40-50) and Hibs games in Scotland.

I have never once seen innocent person get attacked. I have seen fights but they were from people who wanted one.

Unlike places like Ukraine and Russia when I was there.

I was making a point in a melodramatic fashion.

No one here should think "ah shure, I'm Irish they'll love me" while secretly hoping the mixed race English lads at the next table get set upon by local fascists instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭ayeboy

I was making a point in a melodramatic fashion.

No one here should think "ah shure, I'm Irish they'll love me" while secretly hoping the mixed race English lads at the next table get set upon by local fascists instead.

Who in their right mind thinks like that? I'd stop typing on this subject if I were you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

Could you name me two, or even just one, racist chant sung by England fans?

ayeboy wrote: »
    Who in their right mind thinks like that? I'd stop typing on this subject if I were you.

Quite a few do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

Stan Collymore sums this programme up best for me :

Stan Collymore ‏@StanCollymore
    Will BBC be showing London riot videos pre Olympics? Highlighting racist twitter abuse to black Britons?Showing "Paki/BNP" on estate walls?

Yes, because criminals clashing with police in economically deprived areas (which just happen to be located in the same city as the olympic park) is one and the same as groups of thugs who connect themselves to football clubs clashing with opposing football fans at a football tournament simply because of their differing nationality or skin colour? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Not in the grounds any more but definitely outside the grounds.

Part of me hopes some Paddies get smashed on day one so the smugness is wiped away pretty quickly.

You should be ashamed of yourself for that comment.

bwatson wrote: »
    Could you name me two, or even just one, racist chant sung by England fans?

10 German bombers. Stuttgart 2006. You Tube.
    Depends on the match as well.
    Argentina, Spain, Ireland - some angle is found.
    In every game the national anthem is sung at least once to intimidate the opposition.

• Advertisement
Advertisement