Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Ubiquity of Rugby

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Rugby is enjoying a present wave of mass appeal because of Ireland's recent 6 nations success and Leinster/Munster's successes in the Heineken Cup the past decade.

People who usually aren't bothered with sport become instant megafans when their team has a very good chance of winning (fairweatheritis).

With rugby we can go into a World Cup with a genuine chance of actually winning it, or at least beating one or two of the world's best along the way.

While Irish soccer hype is on the rise again with the Euros around the corner, nobody actually thinks we have a chance. Numerous companies are offering competitions like 'We'll give away €100,000 if Ireland win the Euros'. To sicken them I'd love to see it happen.

The fact that about 20 countries in the world play rugby, and only about 7 or 8 of them are any use, and Trap's Army compete in a sport 200 countries play, of whom at least 20 are significantly better than us, doesn't do much to attract the fairweather sports fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

2ndcoming wrote: »
    The fact that about 20 countries in the world play rugby, and only about 7 or 8 of them are any use, and Trap's Army compete in a sport 200 countries play, of whom at least 20 are significantly better than us, doesn't do much to attract the fairweather sports fan.
    There is actually about 100 countries playing rugby but yes only a small percentage of these are very good or where rugby is played by a large enough amount of people.
    countries like japan and sri lanka are in the top ten countries in terms of participation numbers which bodes well for the future.
    http://www.irb.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

The fact that about 20 countries in the world play rugby

:confused:
    um, 96 according to the IRB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

The fact that about 20 countries in the world play rugby

Yeah, but that's only 95 more than play hurling and GAA...

(cue some pedant saying it's played by expats in a couple of countries... :))

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

I love the way in rugby there is no cheating. Except for a little eye gouging (hand to face contact or something).
    Also there was the guy who deliberately broke another guys arm after the whistle had gone (super sportsmanship).
    My favourite though has to be the fake blood incident to make the blood substitution (against Leinster ?) :D

But I hate soccer - they're all diving and cheating and rich ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

The fact that 96 have associations is irrelevant, the key fact is only a handful play to a respectable standard.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

The type who follow and play rugby, are the type who voted yes to the EU treaty. Class warfare as I said, this country is gone to the dogs.

The Germans will put the rugby off us yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

DB10 wrote: »
    The type who follow and play rugby, are the type who voted yes to the EU treaty. Class warfare as I said, this country is gone to the dogs.

You sound like someone who's looking for something that isn't there

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Tox56 wrote: »

a no vote perhaps ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Tox56 wrote: »

Indeed. The people who are actually trying to debate the sports aspect here are wasting their time. This thread is actually a thinly veiled argument about a class divide that doesn't even exist.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Superbus wrote: »
    Indeed. The people who are actually trying to debate the sports aspect here are wasting their time. This thread is actually a thinly veiled argument about a class divide that doesn't even exist.

See here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78982947&postcount=1636

As I have said before there is no firmly class warfare in this country, with the upper classes in D4 with their oval footballs, pulling in an opposite direction to those working class like me.

The treaty has confirmed this.

Rugby is for the rich

GAA/soccer for the working man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

See here:

As I have said before there is no firmly class warfare in this country, with the upper classes in D4 with their oval footballs, pulling in an opposite direction to those working class like me.

Rugby is for the rich

Thanks for proving my point pretty much immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Nermal

rugby doesnt really matter at the end of the day

To a grown-up no sport really matters at the end of the day, there's something faintly sad about the amount of passion some people put into watching sport, instead of playing it.

If Germany took rugby seriously I have a feeling they'd be really rather good at it, few other sports are better suited to the national concept of 'einigkeit'.

Superbus wrote: »

See here:

Rugby is for the rich

What a load of horsesh1t.

Rugby is still played in fee-paying schools and 3 or 4 schools in Limerick.
    Probably similar in Belfast (But I have no info to back this up)
    Therefore a posher element will rise to the top of the national game.
    This is evident from the amount of internationals who have come from the posh schools.

Soccer is played by a lot more people than rugby thus it is harder to actually get capped in soccer than in rugby (unless you didn't go to a rugby school - then it's almost impossible to get a rugby cap).

Soccer is probably more democratic/classless because everybody regardless of wealth (ability to pay for fee paying schools) has the same chance of making it.
    Has anybody from Tallaght ever played for Ireland Rugby???
    I see no reason for me to cheer on the rugby lads with any gusto as they do not represent me or the Ireland I come from.

Rugby has been a great marketing success.
    Lots of broadsheet coverage aimed at the middle to higher classes has brought interest and money in to the game.
    Good luck to them.

But if TBIG get a few results over the next week we'll really see once again how popular soccer is.
    The rugby grand slam thing will look like a junior b league win by comparison.

Soccer will always have the greater support because of the number of people involved in small clubs up and down the country.
    Rugby hasn't been an inclusive sport but could change in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭TonyTonga

This is evident from the amount of internationals who have come from the posh schools.

Soccer is played by a lot more people than rugby thus it is harder to actually get capped in soccer than in rugby (unless you didn't go to a rugby school - then it's almost impossible to get a rugby cap).

Soccer is probably more democratic/classless because everybody regardless of wealth (ability to pay for fee paying schools) has the same chance of making it.

I see no reason for me to cheer on the rugby lads with any gusto as they do not represent me or the Ireland I come from.

Lots of broadsheet coverage aimed at the middle to higher classes has brought interest and money in to the game.
    Good luck to them.

But if TBIG get a few results over the next week we'll really see once again how popular soccer is.

Soccer will always have the greater support because of the number of people involved in small clubs up and down the country.

Theres a lad starting for Ireland tomorrow from Moyross which makes Tallaght look like Beverely Hills.

Probabl similar in Belfast (But I have no info to back this up)
    Yes for years rugby was predominantly played by those who went to fee paying schools but now there is more and more players making it having not went to the blackrocks, Royal Belfast Acad of this world
    Its not impossible to get capped if you didnt go to a fee paying school. Yes the majority of people getting capped did go to these schools but there is more and more kids playing the sport who are not in fee paying schools. There is now about the same number of kids playing in clubs as the schools which is great to see and the numbers are increasing in the clubs/non traditional schools year on year

I dont think so but there will in the future
    Rubbish.
    Good luck to them.

Rugby wasnt an exclusive sport but it is much more now and there is now as many kids playing in all the clubs like Nenagh Ormond, Clonakilty, Monivea, Tullow as the schools like Blackrock, CBC Cork,

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭conor1979

I love the way in rugby there is no cheating. Except for a little eye gouging (hand to face contact or something).
    Also there was the guy who deliberately broke another guys arm after the whistle had gone (super sportsmanship).
    My favourite though has to be the fake blood incident to make the blood substitution (against Leinster ?) :D

But I hate soccer - they're all diving and cheating and rich ;)

If you were to educate yourself a bit you would find out that rugby is all about cheating;)

What Ireland do you come from then? :rolleyes:

TonyTonga wrote: »

Theres a lad starting for Ireland tomorrow from Moyross which makes Tallaght look like Beverely Hills.

I did mention that there are a 3 or 4 schools who play rugby in Limerick.
    Great stuff for the Moyross lad.

Still nobody from Tallaght though???
    (Tallaght has as big a population as Limerick).

The "Rugby isn't elitist - look at Limerick" line just proves how elitist rugby in Ireland really is.

For instance - a lot of corkmen have got Irish rugby caps. But how many of these internationals DIDN'T go to PBC or CBC???
    (the 2 fee paying boys schools in cork city)
    Answers on a postcard please...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

rugby is probably not as popular as soccer

• Advertisement

I did mention that there are a 3 or 4 schools who play rugby in Limerick.
    Great stuff for the Moyross lad.

Still nobody from Tallaght though???
    (Tallaght has as big a population as Limerick).
    Yes its a shame there hasnt been but there will soon enough. There wasnt even a club in Tallaght until about 10 years ago.

The "Rugby isn't elitist - look at Limerick" line just proves how elitist rugby in Ireland really is.

For instance - a lot of corkmen have got Irish rugby caps. But how many of these internationals DIDN'T go to PBC or CBC???
    (the 2 fee paying boys schools in cork city)
    Answers on a postcard please...
    Plenty didnt go to Pres or Christians. Timmy Ryan/Dave Ryan to name but two.
    A problem with many schools in cork etc is that kids at 15/16 who have shown great skill in rugby while playing for clubs like highfield/sundays well etc will be tempted to join the 2 big schools- CBC+PBC.
    Rockwell College who won the munster schools senior cup had 5 or 6 kids who were asked/tempted to join the school for fifth year after the school saw them play for the tipp/waterford u17 regional team

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

I love rugby. Proper engaging for 80 minutes. Soccer is so bloody boring. I gave it a shot as my dad loved it, but jesus, its pathetic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Good luck to them.

Trevor Brennan comes from not so far from tallaght, and the likes of Shane Horgan and Sean o Brien came through the club way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The only things that prevent working class schools from playing rugby is themselves.If the interest was high enough they would be entered into competitions. My school tried to create rugby and cricket team's but we didn't have enough numbers. There was no other reason apart from basic funding (which would have been there at the time) that could have prevented us from playing. I don't think people understand the meaning of elitism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

ormond lad wrote: »
    Rugby was an exclusive sport but it is much less so now and there is now as many kids playing in all the clubs like Nenagh Ormond, Clonakilty, Monivea, Tullow as the schools like Blackrock, CBC Cork,

So true. And thats the problem right there. You just wouldnt know who is playing now.

Please post and let me know when Ireland Rugby puts out fifteen players where the majority come through the club system with no contact with the rugby schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Please post and let me know when Ireland Rugby puts out fifteen players where the majority come through the club system with no contact with the rugby schools.

In the not too distant future that will happen, the club game is being promoted well throughout the country and you will see the benefit of that being reaped in the coming years. The schools will still always be a breeding ground for young players but theres no reason why the two systems can't work in harmony like they are at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭ha ha hello

Seriously, if we just look at the level of genuine interest in this country for the european football championships and compare it to the (from what I observed) high levels of disinterest in the last rugby world cup, I think we can conclude that rugby is not nearly as popular or ubiquitous as soccer. Seeing the Irish football team in a major championship really stirs the blood and makes me feel patriotic, whereas seeing the Irish rugby team play in a world cup or 6 nations makes me feel nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Seriously, if we just look at the level of genuine interest in this country for the european football championships and compare it to the (from what I observed) high levels of disinterest in the last rugby world cup, I think we can conclude that rugby is not nearly as popular or ubiquitous as soccer. Seeing the Irish football team in a major championship really stirs the blood and makes me feel patriotic, whereas seeing the Irish rugby team play in a world cup or 6 nations makes me feel nothing.

I find it hard to get passionate about them as well at times and I'm a big rugby fan. My reasons are silly really but to me they come across as a corporate PR machine more than a nation. The false anthem and even the use of a false flag at one stage really turned me off. Also I don't want to offend anyone here but I regard myself as being from ROI, the 6 counties are a foreign country to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

I don't think a single poster has claimed that rugby is more popular in Ireland or indeed in any country outside a very few.

What's your point?

• Advertisement

Your reverse snobbery is worse than any snobbery I have experienced in all my connections to rugby.
    So if someone isn't from a working class background then they are not good enough for you? You make me sick, it's this sort of snobbery from the poorest of the poor right up to the richest which has attributed to this country being such a mess.

Also just because rich people play a sport does not make it elite, it is only elite when people are denied the ability to play or compete in the sport, anyone from a working class background who has shown talent in rugby has been welcomed with open arms by all teams. Rugby is not popular in many working class areas therefore there aren't a huge amount who come through the ranks up to senior level.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭BIG BAD JOHN

Also I don't want to offend anyone here but I regard myself as being from ROI, the 6 counties are a foreign country to me.

If you feel that way, perhaps you should look at the rugby team as being a sort of "Irish Lions" then?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭ha ha hello

pajunior wrote: »
    I don't think a single poster has claimed that rugby is more popular in Ireland or indeed in any country outside a very few.

What's your point?

My point is ngllarrghbrhah

My point is ngllarrghbrhah

Well, I've been shown up.

What's your point?

And of course everyone knows that whatever is popular is the best. So Tom Cruise is the best actor in the world, Lady Gaga makes the best music in the world, and McDonalds make the best food in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

You do know that strong youth players get scholarships to these schools?

Everybody benefits from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,874 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Who cares?

The best will come to the top. If they play at school then they'll have 5-7 years of good coaching and will push on to bigger and better things.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 fissureseal

What's your point?

And of course everyone knows that whatever is popular is the best. So Tom Cruise is the best actor in the world, Lady Gaga makes the best music in the world, and McDonalds make the best food in the world.

So the golden era of Irish rugby as Gerry thornley calls it continues with another fine bad result against new zeal . If winning a single grand slam beating a group of 5 teams in a year when some of them are teams in transition after a world cup and a couple of others who are simply cannon fodder every year in the competition , if that makes it a golden generation , it really shows how pathetic the previous generations have been !! But of course what about all the heinrken cups our golden generation have won , yeah it's nice to win but when the competition is so skewed as to favour the provincial teams then it's not so hard or so wonderful an achievement . The English and French clubs have their own bruising lengthy national championships in which clubs treasure any national title win as equal or even more so than any heinrken cup . Meanwhile the provincial teams can put their second string in the meaningless magners rabo league , rest their best players for nearly all the season and still qualify for the next years heinrken . The irfu were just incredibly lucky that they had the provincial set up already established so they had a good base to start when the comp began a few years ago , the welsh and Scottish have only got organised the last couple of years. A grand slam , a few 6 nations , zero progress in any world cup beyond the quarter final when there's only 8 or 9 proper rugby playing countries . A golden era ?? Methinks not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

Hate rugby,can't stand all the stoppages in it,makes it hard for me to sit down and actually watch it,believe me i have tryed to but i just lose interest after 10 mins.

• Advertisement

So the golden era of Irish rugby as Gerry thornley calls it continues with another fine bad result against new zeal . If winning a single grand slam beating a group of 5 teams in a year when some of them are teams in transition after a world cup and a couple of others who are simply cannon fodder every year in the competition , if that makes it a golden generation , it really shows how pathetic the previous generations have been !! But of course what about all the heinrken cups our golden generation have won , yeah it's nice to win but when the competition is so skewed as to favour the provincial teams then it's not so hard or so wonderful an achievement . The English and French clubs have their own bruising lengthy national championships in which clubs treasure any national title win as equal or even more so than any heinrken cup . Meanwhile the provincial teams can put their second string in the meaningless magners rabo league , rest their best players for nearly all the season and still qualify for the next years heinrken . The irfu were just incredibly lucky that they had the provincial set up already established so they had a good base to start when the comp began a few years ago , the welsh and Scottish have only got organised the last couple of years. A grand slam , a few 6 nations , zero progress in any world cup beyond the quarter final when there's only 8 or 9 proper rugby playing countries . A golden era ?? Methinks not
    I'm not sure what this has to do with whether or not rugby is a fun game or not...?

Of course, our rugby history pales in comparison to our association football history, where our senior men's team has won...the Iceland triangular cup in 1986 (beating Iceland and Czechoslovakia) and the Carling Nations Cup in 2011 - a tournament like the rugby 6 Nations, only minus England, France and Italy...proud success indeed.

Festy wrote: »
    Hate rugby,can't stand all the stoppages in it,makes it hard for me to sit down and actually watch it,believe me i have tryed to but i just lose interest after 10 mins.
    That's fair enough. Every sport isn't for everyone. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Needs more competition

Like a division 2 in Europe.
    Whoever gets the wooden spoon gets relegated and anther nation moves up

Over 80 million people in Germany, there is no way you're telling me they cannot put together a good team

I remember Portugal at the World Cup maybe eight years ago, they were decent :)

Until then, well winning a world cup doesn't mean what it should

Just my opinion

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Needs more competition

Over 80 million people in Germany, there is no way you're telling me they cannot put together a good team

Just my opinion
    Do you find hurling interesting at all? Or GAA football? Because there's a lot less competition there if you think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I wasn't knocking the sport like many of the posts here or looking to rile up posters

Was a simple point
    More competition the better

Thread title is The Ubiquity of Rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Randy Anders

Big international rugby games are absolutely brilliant occasions.

I'm from Leinster but I find it hard to get fully behind them because I fucking hate a lot of their fans. Its such a shame that rugby in Leinster is so elitist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I like both soccer and rugby. Soccer is miiiiiiles more popular, though. Nothing unites this country like a big soccer tournament.

Lolz at all the insecure rugby fans who talk about soccer being boring. More scores does not equal more exciting. Both sports have their boring elements.

And the full contact sport argument is weird to me. Again, more contact does not equal better. Depends what you are into, I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

This golden generation Irish rugby team played the current world champions in a glorified (yet hugely hyped up) friendly and get hockeyed by 32 points.

On Thursday our soccer team will play the current world champions in a game which will shape their tournament and, although a win appears unlikely, will be competitive.

Tell me which is the more competitive sport?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Nermal

This golden generation Irish rugby team played the current world champions in a glorified (yet hugely hyped up) friendly and get hockeyed by 32 points.

On Thursday our soccer team will play the current world champions in a game which will shape their tournament and, although a win appears unlikely, will be competitive.

Clearly rugby, where the better team almost always wins because there are more scores. In soccer scoring is so infrequent that it's relatively common that a technically far superior side (Spain) can be frustrated and lose or draw to a bunch of negative hoofing donkeys (us).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Nermal wrote: »
    In soccer scoring is so infrequent

one of the reasons I prefer rugby (but still like both). I can change the channel for 20 mins in soccer and there's a strong chance that when I go back, it's all going to be the same.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Needs more competition

Just my opinion
    There is several divisions in europe- european nations cup.
    The problem with relegation between the 6 nations and nations cup is that at the moment the nations cup is played over 2 seasons,
    It is still a world cup
    Big international rugby games are absolutely brilliant occasions.

I'm from Leinster but I find it hard to get fully behind them because I fucking hate a lot of their fans. Its such a shame that rugby in Leinster is so elitist
    Yes rugby in leinster was elitist and there is many who are too thick to realise people play rugby outside of a couple of schools in a few areas of dublin as well as a couple of other schools outside the city but things are changing due to players like Trevor Brennan in the past and Sean O Brien at the moment.
    Leinster Rugby are working a lot on improving that image. Look at their website or go to your local club and you will see the work the Leinster Branch are putting into developing the game all over the province

The game this morning is 1 of about 10 we play in the year so of course it will be hyped up. We only play 5 games in competition every year
    It is much easier to score and be competitive in soccer.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement