Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Ubiquity of Rugby

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Where I'm from nobody plays rugby.
    Maybe you need to stop moaning and establish a club?

Why is that moaning???
    I'm just stating a fact!

As for starting up a rugby club - the only times I've been inside one is on a good Friday looking for sauce. That is not going to change much.

Tip - turn the collar of your T-Shirt up. You'll have no problem getting in :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Why is that moaning???
    I'm just stating a fact!

As for starting up a rugby club - the only times I've been inside one is on a good Friday looking for sauce. That is not going to change much.

Wait a minute..

This is the same person who posts in the rugby forum.

Have you got a split personality or just a really odd sense of humour?

:confused:

Naomi00 wrote: »
    Why is that moaning???
    I'm just stating a fact!

Wait a minute..

This is the same person who posts in the rugby forum.

Have you got a split personality or just a really odd sense of humour?

:confused:

An odd sense of personality perhaps ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

An odd sense of personality perhaps ;)

Mod

Oh, now I see, you are trolling.

Don't post here again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Mod

Don't post here again.
    To be fair, I think I flagged him for trolling on this thread about a week ago... :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Dolphin and Sundays Well are both located at musgrave park so are almost the same club....

What a thing to say :eek::eek::eek:

Nothing could be further from the truth.

Its like saying that Inter Milan and AC Milan are 'almost the same club' because they share the San Siro. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Rugby isn't nearly as popular as the media would have you believe. In Dublin, I know way, way more people who have played football in a competitive capacity. Indeed, there are large parts of the country which have no interest in rugby, and the GAA and football dominate. I don't think rugby will ever become as popular as these sports, regardless of the media attention. Ireland is a football country(notwithstanding the fact that we're no good at it!) with the GAA also widely popular.

Lapin wrote: »
    Dolphin and Sundays Well are both located at musgrave park so are almost the same club....

What a thing to say :eek::eek::eek:

Nothing could be further from the truth.

Its like saying that Inter Milan and AC Milan are 'almost the same club' because they share the San Siro. :eek:

I'm not allowed to reply

St.Spodo wrote: »
    Rugby isn't nearly as popular as the media would have you believe. In Dublin, I know way, way more people who have played football in a competitive capacity. Indeed, there are large parts of the country which have no interest in rugby, and the GAA and football dominate. I don't think rugby will ever become as popular as these sports, regardless of the media attention. Ireland is a football country(notwithstanding the fact that we're no good at it!) with the GAA also widely popular.
    I think nobody is more aware that rugby is less popular than soccer, GAA and hurling than rugby people, so I'm not sure who you are trying to convince. :)

On the other hand, there's no other sport where you can see top level international competition on a weekly basis in this country (more's the pity).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

To use twitter as a measuring stick, this morning after the match 8 of the 10 trending topics in Ireland were about the match and a pretty similar thing happened last week. Rugby isnt as popular as football or the 2 main gaa sports combined but it is a very popular sport in Ireland and only getting bigger.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I'm not allowed to reply

If you were allowed to reply, what would you say. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Mod

Don't post here again.

The guys attempts at trolling have been decidedly bargain basement.

Thread's a clusterfcuk though, being going nowhere for a long while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Thread's a clusterfcuk though, being going nowhere for a long while.
    Yes, please lock this thread mods, it's an embarrassment to genuine sports fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

At the risk of adding fuel to the fire... http://youtu.be/5xLn-X8YJRg
    Good o'l Onion :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Rugby isn't nearly as popular as the media would have you believe. In Dublin, I know way, way more people who have played football in a competitive capacity. Indeed, there are large parts of the country which have no interest in rugby, and the GAA and football dominate. I don't think rugby will ever become as popular as these sports, regardless of the media attention. Ireland is a GAA country with the football also widely popular (notwithstanding the fact that we're no good at it!).

FYP ;)

Yes, please lock this thread mods, it's an embarrassment to genuine sports fans.

60-0
    An embarrassment to genuine sports fans is the correct phrase to use!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

60-0

It was surreal to watch them this morning. The scary thing was you felt that the ABs could have ran up even more them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

I wonder if after a few more humiliations like this that oopma-loopa looking birds will still think they're all totes hot

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭flag123

If you could be offered tickets to the Fifa World Cup final or the Rugby World Cup final which one would you pick?

That's the way I'd look at it!

• Site Banned Posts: 222 ✭✭bee_keeper

60-0

wouldnt like to be irish and living and working in new zealand for the next week , the kiwis are insufferabley smug when thier rugby team is winning

• Advertisement

flag123 wrote: »
    If you could be offered tickets to the Fifa World Cup final or the Rugby World Cup final which one would you pick?

That's the way I'd look at it!

depends which final

1970 = yes :)

1994 = no :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

I think its funny how people like to think theyre more manly because they like a full contact sport like rugby. If it takes a playing or looking at a sport to make you feel manly you have some problems.
    Obviously people have other reasons for liking rugby but i hate the argument that rugby is a manly game and soccer is for soft boys or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭flag123

I'd much rather get into a row with O'Connell or Kearney rather to Vinny Jones or such!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

flag123 wrote: »
    I'd much rather get into a row with O'Connell or Kearney rather to Vinny Jones or such!

What about Sonny Bill Williams? Give me Vinnie Jones every day of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Okay I've played both sports and will watch either on the tele but I prefer watching football. I find rugby boring to watch if it doesn't involve Ireland or Munster, whereas, I can watch most games of football and find it interesting.
    I don't think either is more skillful than the other. I don't mind people following it now that wouldn't of dreamed of it a few years ago. It is referred better and move adaptive to change, which is a major plus for it.
    What gets to me about it is the whole 'rugby is a mans sport because they don't roll around like the soccer fellows.' attitude. The footballers roll around to gain an advantage/cheat, do rugby players not try to cheat or gain advantages also? They might not roll around pretending to be hurt because it does't gain them an advantage as play just goes on, which is another good facet of the sport, but there is cheating in the game remember than fake blood incident. If the refs in football would just play on you would see a lot less simulation.
    Impact injuries are different to strains, tears etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The funny thing listening to people on rugby threads is that they actually think Ireland could be competitive against New Zealand be it not for Kidney.

60points difference. Even God(dont believe, but get my drift) himself could not close the gap.

Players im sure gave it 100% but fans here think we are some sort of world beaters which we have never have and not presently been.

I honestly cant think of another team in the world that is thought of so high, but yet is so average.

Wait till 6 nations next year and the optimism all over again until somebody like Scotland beat us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

A lot has been made in this thread of "simulation" aka diving and rolling around feigning injury in soccer. To be fair this a fairly new development and seems to have gone hand in hand with the influx of money into the game. With the monetary rewards for things like CL qualification and maintaining PL status being so great it seems to have encouraged this behaviour introducing a win by any means necessary attitude. I would be shocked if players were not encouraged to dive in soccer.

Now that rugby has become professional it will be interesting to see how this impacts on the game, especially considering that it is growing in popularity. More popularity = more money. In twenty years time we may well see rugby become a more cynical game.

All just my opinion though. I enjoy both rugby and soccer.

The funny thing listening to people on rugby threads is that they actually think Ireland could be competitive against New Zealand be it not for Kidney.

60points difference. Even God(dont believe, but get my drift) himself could not close the gap.
    Yes, great point. It's not like they needed a last second drop goal to beat us only a week ago or something.

Jeez, people are gas. People were moaning when there was an all-Ireland Heineken Cup final, and Leinster proved themselves the best team in HEC history. Now the same people are complaining when the national team gets hockeyed.

Do you want us winning or losing or what?

Yes, great point. It's not like they needed a last second drop goal to beat us only a week ago or something.

Jeez, people are gas. People were moaning when there was an all-Ireland Heineken Cup final, and Leinster proved themselves the best team in HEC history. Now the same people are complaining when the national team gets hockeyed.

Do you want us winning or losing or what?

Wow pick out the one decent result they got in past few meetings. Amazing you forgot to mention the result before that.

The last few results against NZ have 60-0,22-19, 42-10, 38-18, 66-28.

Not exactly competitive games bar one is it?

Of course I dont expect them to go close cause they are not world class side.

simples really.

I never moaned about HC final so please dont be placing words in my mouth.

Im a realist thats all.

• Advertisement

Wow pick out the one decent result they got in past few meetings. Amazing you forgot to mention the result before that.
    Yes, it's not like you would pull a cheap trick like that. Oh no wait you just did.

Yes, it's not like you would pull a cheap trick like that. Oh no wait you just did.

what cheap trick now Monty?

Tell me where have I lied in my posts?

does the truth hurt you Monty?

what cheap trick now Monty?

Tell me where have I lied in my posts?

does the truth hurt you Monty?
    You gave out to me for picking out a game from a week ago, having just picked out the game from this week to declare Irish rugby armageddon.

Does the truth hurt you, Hoor?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Why can't this thread just die

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Tox56 wrote: »
    Why can't this thread just die

Why can't rugby just die

You gave out to me for picking out a game from a week ago, having just picked out the game from this week to declare Irish rugby armageddon.

Does the truth hurt you, Hoor?

No need to be childish, but I give you second chance.

No truth does not hurt. Why would it? Sure I mentioned the scorline in my 2nd post.

It seems to me that your hurting, hurting bad. Which is understandable. I mean we have been humiliated by a great side.

The thing is I half expected the result this morning, you more then likely gave Ireland some hope of putting of a miracle.

Still proud to be Irish. When you are beaten by far superior team you just got to hold your hand up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

It's ok. Ireland are still in worlds top 10 rugby playing nations.

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    It's ok. Ireland are still in worlds top 10 rugby playing nations.

Indeed and lets hope it stays that way.

No need to be childish, but I give you second chance.

No truth does not hurt. Why would it? Sure I mentioned the scorline in my 2nd post.

It seems to me that your hurting, hurting bad. Which is understandable. I mean we have been humiliated by a great side.

The thing is I half expected the result this morning, you more then likely gave Ireland some hope of putting of a miracle.

Still proud to be Irish. When you are beaten by far superior team you just got to hold your hand up.
    I don't disagree with anything you are saying here, but I'm not sure why you are telling me how I'm feeling? It just seems a bit odd.

And your username is an obvious pun, I didn't think it would be offensive to address you by a shortened version of it same as you did with mine. :confused:

I don't disagree with anything you are saying here, but I'm not sure why you are telling me how I'm feeling? It just seems a bit odd.

And your username is an obvious pun, I didn't think it would be offensive to address you by a shortened version of it same as you did with mine. :confused:

Well when you get accused of something that is not case then its only fair you bite back.;).

We are nice decent side, but nothing of the World class standard that the likes of South Africa, New Zealand and France produce.

Players and management give 100% thats all you can ask for. Its the fans perception that we can go out and beat New Zealand on consistent basis which is way OTT and unrealistic.

Lot of waking up was done today, which may not be bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

You're making things up now

Do we expect to beat NZ consistently? No, we expect to be competitive and certainly don't expect to lose by 60 points and score 0.

Do we think we're as good as the SH big three? No, we can give them a game

I think you are also overestimating France, they've some great players but are extremely inconsistent like us, they are currently 6th in the world rankings

Do we expect to have 15 world class players on the pitch? No, but that doesn't mean we are unable to produce quality players.

If you're a football fan it's impossible to imagine Ireland being at the top of any worldwide sport, but Ireland do have some of the best players in Europe and a few are the best in the world. It's impossible to quantify but they do.

The management is incompetent and not getting the best out of these players whatever way you slice it, we have gone close and/or beaten all 3 SH superpowers with one-off performances.

Those performances show what we're capable of, whether you choose to accept it or not, we have some very very good players

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

mackg wrote: »
    A lot has been made in this thread of "simulation" aka diving and rolling around feigning injury in soccer. To be fair this a fairly new development and seems to have gone hand in hand with the influx of money into the game. With the monetary rewards for things like CL qualification and maintaining PL status being so great it seems to have encouraged this behaviour introducing a win by any means necessary attitude. I would be shocked if players were not encouraged to dive in soccer.

Now that rugby has become professional it will be interesting to see how this impacts on the game, especially considering that it is growing in popularity. More popularity = more money. In twenty years time we may well see rugby become a more cynical game.

There has always been diving in soccer, maybe not as prevalent, but it has always been a feature of the game . And not a European disease as the commentators would have you believe . Let us not forget the great Franny Lee or to to give him his proper title Lee(pen). I could name loads more . Though a lot of guys that did go down after been hacked by Charlton Storey Madeley Hunter etc did'nt need to feigh injury .

imho this is where the rot started when players were not protected by referees and thus the process of exageration began and now the pendulum has swung to the other extreme , though surprisingly little in these Euro's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,546 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

What an awful result for Ireland today. I compare this morning's result to what happened yesterday's against France by the junior rugby side at the world championship in South Africa.

The result of fifth place for the juniors is a great achievement for them. I dunno how many times the juniors have played against France which have won or lost. It has to be said IMO that I am not a true rugby expert.

Anyway I do enjoy and prefer rugby much more than football. I played football for most of my life and in most occasions, I still cannot kick a football into the back of the net. It took me the best part of five years to score a goal into a football net, Ah here FFS.

Even when I get a football injury or get a goal which is rare in both counts, on most occasions I get laughed at some people who call me a girl or the like are just practically sad.

I have played the tag rugby only once or twice in my life when being taught by boys from Blackrock College while in primary school. I enjoyed it more as I scored a try in my first game which was a good achievement. However, I did strain to my neck the day after which was pretty sore. If I receive an injury in rugby, the guys who taught the game were very understandable and respectful of the outcome.

Even when both are shown on TV, I do think that Rugby is more enjoyable and practical than football.

With all those opinions come to mind, Rugby is better than football for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I like rugby but when there are only 8-10 nations that actually play it, it's hard not to be a top nation at it.

Tox56 wrote: »
    You're making things up now

Do we expect to beat NZ consistently? No, we expect to be competitive and certainly don't expect to lose by 60 points and score 0.

Do we think we're as good as the SH big three? No, we can give them a game

I think you are also overestimating France, they've some great players but are extremely inconsistent like us, they are currently 6th in the world rankings

Do we expect to have 15 world class players on the pitch? No, but that doesn't mean we are unable to produce quality players.

If you're a football fan it's impossible to imagine Ireland being at the top of any worldwide sport, but Ireland do have some of the best players in Europe and a few are the best in the world. It's impossible to quantify but they do.

The management is incompetent and not getting the best out of these players whatever way you slice it, we have gone close and/or beaten all 3 SH superpowers with one-off performances.

Those performances show what we're capable of, whether you chose to accept it or not, we have some very very good players

Making things up? Afraid not, have had lot people who go to see Munster, Leinster and Ireland tell me this. More then I care to think of.

Many people have stated we are better then Australia and South Africa on boards in past(when we have beaten them)

France have been above us in table for quiet some time. We have only beaten them once since 2006. In that time they have given us some right hammerings.

Blaming management for a 60 point drubbing is getting beyond a joke. you could have got the best backs and forwards coaches in there this morning and we still got beat by 40+ points. Nobody was blaming them in 2009 were they?

We can get close in 1 in 5 games against decent sides, but on consistent level we dont have the world class players to produce it time after time.

When NZ got fright last week and woke up this morning they really showed our players where they stand.

However I hope in years to come I be thinking differently and talking about Ireland beating South Africa and New Zealand and being able to do it in 2 of 3 or 4 games. Not once in blue moon.

Real Life wrote: »
    I think its funny how people like to think theyre more manly because they like a full contact sport like rugby. If it takes a playing or looking at a sport to make you feel manly you have some problems.
    Obviously people have other reasons for liking rugby but i hate the argument that rugby is a manly game and soccer is for soft boys or whatever.

its a moronic arguement , by that criteria , rafael naddal is a nancy boy , so too ussain bolt or michael phelps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Its the fans perception that we can go out and beat New Zealand on consistent basis which is way OTT and unrealistic.

Really?

That's not a viewpoint I've ever heard expressed by fans of the game tbh.

As I said earlier in the thread, Rugby is central to that nation's identity and deeply interwoven into the fabric of its society. Ireland could replicate every system in place in NZ Rugby and we would still fall well short, as you simply cannot import the myriad intangibles that have coalesced there, the totality of which make them the most gifted Rugby players in the world.

mackg wrote: »

rugby might be growing in ireland but it has decreased in popularity in some places like australia for example

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Really?

That's not a viewpoint I've ever heard expressed by fans of the game tbh.

As I said earlier in the thread, Rugby is central to that nation's identity and deeply interwoven into the fabric of its society. Ireland could replicate every system in place in NZ Rugby and we would still fall well short, as you simply cannot import the myriad intangibles that have coalesced there, the totality of which make them the most gifted Rugby players in the world.

Yes afraid I have. Especially around 2009 and 2010 after winning 6 nations.

marienbad wrote: »
    There has always been diving in soccer, maybe not as prevalent, but it has always been a feature of the game . And not a European disease as the commentators would have you believe . Let us not forget the great Franny Lee or to to give him his proper title Lee(pen). I could name loads more . Though a lot of guys that did go down after been hacked by Charlton Storey Madeley Hunter etc did'nt need to feigh injury .

imho this is where the rot started when players were not protected by referees and thus the process of exageration began and now the pendulum has swung to the other extreme , though surprisingly little in these Euro's

That's the thing, it was unusual in times past but seems to have been adopted as a de facto tactic. Players who before wouldn't have done it now have increased motivation due to the rewards on offer for success. I agree that the euros have been good in regard to it.

bee_keeper wrote: »
    rugby might be growing in ireland but it has decreased in popularity in some places like australia for example

A big decrease?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement