Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Ubiquity of Rugby

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

bullvine wrote: »
    they were ****e about 4 years ago

When they won the Heineken cup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

smash wrote: »
    I actually have a friend who's gone big into American football. He used to be a big soccer fan but he says these days it's just crap.

Fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

Are u ****in me rugby is played in every country in the world their just not good at it same way even gaa is played in other countries other than ireland
    Face the facts football is **** compared to rugby
    Footballers get little elbow to the head jumpin for the ball and he goes down like someone shot him rugby players get split open go off get stitches an go back on
    Proper mans sport
    And at least Ireland is good at it
    Their **** at football

*they're

and no rugby is not played in every country in the world and physicality does not define a sports success. What an awful post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I actually have a friend who's gone big into American football. He used to be a big soccer fan but he says these days it's just crap.

Ah fair enough then, if your mate said it football must be gone crap!

Ok this thread is finished now, move along folks, nothing to see here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Their **** at football

Euro 2012?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Are u ****in me rugby is played in every country in the world their just not good at it same way even gaa is played in other countries other than ireland
    Footballers get little elbow to the head jumpin for the ball and he goes down like someone shot him rugby players get split open go off get stitches an go back on
    Proper mans sport
    Their **** at football

Their they're there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

When they won the Heineken cup?

that was 3 years ago - 2009!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Leftist wrote: »
    rugby supporters are indeed very lucky to have irish teams to support. Even if they had to practically disolve all local teams in order to compete internationally.

but it cannot be compare to football as a sport. One is played in every country on the planet, the other is played in a hand full of south hemisphere colonies and north west europe.
    Proper mans sport
    Their **** at football

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

Proper mans sport
    Their **** at football

are you o.k pal? too many elbows to the head?

• Advertisement

Their **** at football

Euro 2012?
    Wow they qualify for first time in ages

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

It has become a lot more fashionable to like rugby since the dawn of the professional era, sky sports playing a huge part in this.

Irish people are event junkies in general, and sport junkies to a certain extent. Rugby events such as the heineken cup final and six nations games have had way more exposure in recent years, making these events bigger.

It will still never be as popular as Soccer or GAA in our lifetime, but it has certainly bridged a big gap recently.

are you o.k pal? too many elbows to the head?

Who you calling Pal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I've supported rugby all my life, and I still can't stand the "bandwagon" supporters line, as if the supporters of Man Utd are mancunian born and bred.

Success grows support and Ireland (and Irish teams) happen to be good at this sport, and people get behind them, you can like both rugby and football don't ya know.

Proper mans sport
    Their **** at football

*they're

and no rugby is not played in every country in the world and physicality does not define a sports success. What an awful post.
    It's played in over a hundred countries across 6 continents and is rising to be one of the most popular sports
    Do yeah maybe not every country.
    But most countries
    God what an awful post

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Football is a gentleman's game played by ruffians

Rugby is a ruffian's game played by gentlemen

gaa is a ruffian's game played by ruffians

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

markesmith wrote: »
    I know a lot of people with scant interest in GAA, and derisive attitudes towards 'soccer', but they wet themselves when the rugby is on.

A lot of women seem to be mad into it especially, despite having zero interest in any other sport.

The players themselves are lauded as gentlemen and warriors, and the epitome of manliness.

tl;dr version: Am I the only person that finds it puzzling that rugby is so popular?
    Rugby is a terrible game. Dull in the extreme.
    However, it is, or at least was, played by the type of tools who ran RTE, populated RTE, ran newspapers, populated newspapers and so forth.
    Therefore it gets far more coverage than it is entitled to in the press in both Britain and Ireland. Most fake tanned birds want to be famous, but have no talent outside the Wesley disco jacks so tend to latch on to whatever too-obese-to-play-real-sport lad they can get that will see them achieve their dream of appearing on the backpage of the Sindo at some other talentless famediggers party.
    Obese men love it because it requires very little skill.
    Only about 3 of the team can kick the ball. maybe 4 can catch a high ball. the rest of them are for running into other people or lifting the lads that can catch it.

As someone who is neither obese, fake tanned and able to catch, kick, run and jump like a normal person, I can't stand the lack of skill and fail to understand how the creme de la creme of the game cannot do things that I learned to do before I went to school - catching and throwing. It would be funny if these weren't at the top of their profession.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I have to say, I was amazed by the attitude in Dublin towards rugby when I first moved up here. It's definitely a Dublin centric concept that rugby is for posh folk. In the rest of the country it's just a game played by people, down in Limerick it's a game of the common man.

I used to laugh my ass off when I had people calling me a posh bastard because I used to play. I also used to play GAA (hurling and football), soccer and messed around with American Football in college.

Used to be a huge fan on soccer when I was younger but I kind of fell out of love with it around the late 90's. No real idea why, the game just seemed to change a little bit and i lost interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Dudess wrote: »
    It seems to have become flavour of the month all right in the past 15 years or so

Flavour of the month for 15 years!

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Can you explain to me the process of qualification for a team like Ireland for a Rugby world cup?

• Advertisement

Rugby has never been more popular than it is now in this country, its obvious, similar to soccer in the early 90's.

Soccer is the number one sport in around 95% of the countries on the planet, and its becoming hugely popular in China, Japan and the USA.

Can you explain to me the process of qualification for a team like Ireland for a Rugby world cup?
    "A Nation" status countries qualify automatically.
    There are ten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

However, it is, or at least was, played by the type of tools who ran RTE, populated RTE, ran newspapers, populated newspapers and so forth.
    Therefore it gets far more coverage than it is entitled to in the press in both Britain and Ireland. Most fake tanned birds want to be famous, but have no talent outside the Wesley disco jacks so tend to latch on to whatever too-obese-to-play-real-sport lad they can get that will see them achieve their dream of appearing on the backpage of the Sindo at some other talentless famediggers party.
    Only about 3 of the team can kick the ball. maybe 4 can catch a high ball. the rest of them are for running into other people or lifting the lads that can catch it.

As someone who is neither obese, fake tanned and able to catch, kick, run and jump like a normal person, I can't stand the lack of skill and fail to understand how the creme de la creme of the game cannot do things that I learned to do before I went to school - catching and throwing. It would be funny if these weren't at the top of their profession.

Trolling post is silly.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    You ruined your post with that line

Top level players are supremely fit
    and obese.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_World_Cup_qualification
    You have a computer look it up
    Il admit I wasn't sure but there u go

If it's so easy, and the players lack so much skill, I challenge you to make the Irish Rugby Team starting line up for 4 international matches.

If you can do this I will have a contract drawn up where I will give you every penny I earn for the rest of my life.*

*I won't really, I'm just pointing out how ****ing stupid your post is.**

** It's REALLY ****ing stupid.

Don't know about qualification for the tournament, but once you get there:
    Play one other team that cares.
    Play 2 teams that have two universities in the country that play the game because they were founded by englishmen.
    Go through to next stage, play another of the teams that care, blame ref, go home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I know a lot of people with scant interest in GAA, and derisive attitudes towards 'soccer', but they wet themselves when the rugby is on.

A lot of women seem to be mad into it especially, despite having zero interest in any other sport.

The players themselves are lauded as gentlemen and warriors, and the epitome of manliness.

tl;dr version: Am I the only person that finds it puzzling that rugby is so popular?

Really a tl;dr?
    Its so popular because we are good at it.
    Unlike Soccer where we are normally not in the major tournament.

If it's so easy, and the players lack so much skill, I challenge you to make the Irish Rugby Team starting line up for 4 international matches.

If you can do this I will have a contract drawn up where I will give you every penny I earn for the rest of my life.*

*I won't really, I'm just pointing out how ****ing stupid your post is.**

** It's REALLY ****ing stupid.
    I'll be honest, I couldn't stand the hi jinks in the showers after the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Childhood logic from the 1980's.

Why would I want to play a game that we (Ireland) are shíte at
    and with that in mind, wouldn't I have to go to a particular school to play it anyway?

To the park to play football! Yo-Ho!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Rugby has always been big in Limerick amongst all classes, although it has grown exponentially in the last 7/8 years. In Limerick is probably soccer that's the most popular followed very closely by rugby.

In Dublin it's mostly for the toffs.

I love rugby and soccer, but I'd pick rugby by a long shot as my favourite (from both watching it and definitely playing it.)

Playing rugby is much more fun that soccer IMO. I find that soccer players tend to think they are all unreal at soccer and get pissed off if you make a mistake or dont pass to them etc. whereas it's totally different in rugby. Social aspect and standard of training is far better in rugby at grassroots level anyway

mikemac1 wrote: »
    You ruined your post with that line

Top level players are supremely fit
    and obese.
    Guarantee their a lot fitter than some of the Irish football team and ten times stronger
    Can you run around a pitch for 80 mins constantly bein hit when you get the ball
    It's not as easy as sittin at a computer being a fat slob like yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Funglegunk wrote: »
    Ireland has a strong international team, and two of our provinces are among the best teams in Europe. It's also more often than not an exciting sport to watch.

That's why it's popular.

This.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Can't decide if you're a troll or not.....your post is that idiotic...

Dunno who you're calling obese, look at players like Cian Healy or Sean O Brien, far from it.

I'll be honest, I couldn't stand the hi jinks in the showers after the game.

The "touch, but don't look" rule can be a bit of a downer alright.

Guarantee their a lot fitter than some of the Irish football team and ten times stronger
    Can you run around a pitch for 80 mins constantly bein hit when you get the ball
    I don't get hit when I run around a pitch for 90 mins.
    Also, it's pretty easy to be fat and run into another fat lad. Ou est le skill?

The "touch, but don't look" rule can be a bit of a downer alright.
    If only it was enforced. Sticking fingers into orifices goes on the pitch, imagine what they're at behind closed doors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I have no interest in most sports but if there's one thing I don't mind sitting down to watch it's rugby.

It's fun to watch and has a nice back and forwards motion to it and there is generally a reasonable amount of scoring. Importantly it's not on my tv every single day.

Soccer is a good game ruined by a whole lot of falling over that leaves me exasperated after 10 minutes of watching it. Couple that with the overpaid pretty boys playing it, the fact that it's on every paper and in the news with pundits dissecting ever last play and every last word a manager has said as well as the mind numbing facebook updates I need to scroll through during and after every match makes me thoroughly sick of soccer.

There's some merit in what you say even if its not all correct.
    The Chicago Bears got an obese guy called Perry some years ago to charge through the opponents. The refrigerator thay called him. It works.

Now loads of rugby teams get big fat blokes to charge about.

• Advertisement

I don't get hit when I run around a pitch for 90 mins.
    Also, it's pretty easy to be fat and run into another fat lad. Ou est le skill?
    But yet you get a little tackle and next thing your down holding your ankle screaming waitin for someone to take you off in a stretcher for a swollen ankle being little girls

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'm a huge football fan, not so much into Rugby. I find it reasonably entertaining and will watch it when it's on.

The popularity of Rugby in recent times is down to the success of the Irish team and said success being marketed well, which makes supporting rugby fashionable. Obviously not all rugby fans would fall into that description and I know there are plenty of hardcore supports borne out of the last 10 years or so. People like to follow the winning team it's nothing new and there's no point getting bent out of shape about it.

Football, for all my love for it, has some massive flaws; mainly playacting and officiating inconsistencies. It's something 99% of football fans will agree on. To call all footballers overpaid is a bit silly though, the sport exist outside of the 0.1% at the top who fill the headlines.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

BizzyC wrote: »
    Can't decide if you're a troll or not.....your post is that idiotic...

Dunno who you're calling obese, look at players like Cian Healy or Sean O Brien, far from it.
    There's lads with their bellies hanging out over their shorts. And people laugh at darts players? At least they have a skill.

But yet you get a little tackle and next thing your down holding your ankle screaming waitin for someone to take you off in a stretcher for a swollen ankle being little girls
    I do, yeah.
    Good lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

I also like it because there's no real time wasting and the only way there is now, there's a new law coming in so they can't waste time at the back of the rucks.

The best team usually wins.

Referees are more consistent even though it's a tougher game to referee than a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

I'm a huge football fan, not so much into Rugby. I find it reasonably entertaining and will watch it when it's on.

The popularity of Rugby in recent times is down to the success of the Irish team and said success being marketed well, which makes supporting rugby fashionable. Obviously not all rugby fans would fall into that description and I know there are plenty of hardcore supports borne out of the last 10 years or so. People like to follow the winning team it's nothing new and there's no point getting bent out of shape about it.

Football, for all my love for it, has some massive flaws; mainly playacting and officiating inconsistencies. It's something 99% of football fans will agree on. To call all footballers overpaid is a bit silly though, the sport exist outside of the 0.1% at the top who fill the headlines.

+1. You could argue that footballers are actually underpaid, considering the revenue it generates, what with tv rights, merchandise etc etc.

Someone as loathsome as John Terry commanding a six figure weekly salary is not a true representation of your run-of-the-mill professional.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

It's a proper full contact sport. Soccer is shíte.

Yawn.

Any graceless, awkward person can throw a ball backwards and run forwards.

Soccer takes a lot more skill. Much harder to be a good soccer player than a rugby player.

And yeah, I'd know.

I have a controversial opinion, I believe a lot of footballs popularity is due to its actual problems such as bad refs, no video replays, diving, play acting etc, and if these werent in it, if it was a cleaner sport like Rugby, I'm not sure if it would be as popular.

Pal wrote: »
    There's some merit in what you say even if its not all correct.
    The Chicago Bears got an obese guy called Perry some years ago to charge through the opponents. The refrigerator thay called him. It works.

Now loads of rugby teams get big fat blokes to charge about.
    Different game.
    The fridge was employed to make short gains for 1st downs or TDs and played about 4 mins a week in a stop start game. He could hold on to the football when he got it, invariably.
    He wasn't lauded as anything other than he was - a bulldozer. A great bulldozer, though. Anyway, he was one player. Most rugby players wouldn't last 2 minutes in an american football match. The game requires supreme levels of skill.
    Samich wrote: »
    I also like it because there's no real time wasting and the only way there is now, there's a new law coming in so they can't waste time at the back of the rucks.
    Yesh, gimme 20 minutes of crouch touch pause snore any day of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

It isn't my cup of tea*. But then, tea isn't my cup of tea either. So, yeah, don't really go around expecting anything of people. Oh, don't fall in to the trap of "If person like X they must be Y." It isn't the truth, and for people who feel this way, any person they counter in X that isn't Y they'll just say "Oh its just that one person" ignoring all the other "just one person" like whatever they come across. There are cool people in to all manner of things, and sucky people in to just the same array of things.

Edit: * Applies to sport writ large.

foxyboxer wrote: »
    +1. You could argue that footballers are actually underpaid, considering the revenue it generates, what with tv rights, merchandise etc etc.

So If I work for a company that generates circa 60 million a year I should get paid more too?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement