Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wexford on a Saturday night

Options
  • 28-05-2012 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

This may not go down well but its true. I work in Wexford town at night time driving a taxi and am left wondering what this town has come to.Every night there are girls and guys on the quay openly going to the toilet bad enough for a man to do it but a girl to show off everything with cars beeping and guys shouting at her.

Not only this but fights and lots of them every night you see someone covered in blood or hitting someone or something like shop windows.Christmas lights had to be put back up every Sunday morning. Hanging baskets going up today i belive they if like last year they will be monkey bars to swing on.

The general lack of respect for anyone or anything is unreal.They get into the taxi and tell the driver they are only paying X amount and if its any more we can F..k off or they will punch the head of us we are told.They eat in the cars when asked not to. And drop litter, chips, sauces, and throw bottles or cans out the windows when asked to put them away.

All in all iv had enough as far as i can see we have been left with a lot of scum who want to break abuse or one of these days kill someone.At least 10 taxis have gone to Dublin because they can't stick the abuse. I have worked up there in the past and 99% of customers pay what's on the meter don't even try to get in before they finish their food, are polite and thank you for bringing them home and most will give a tip.Down here 60% tell you that you are a robbing Bast..d slam the door trying to break it and throw the money at you saying that's all your getting lad...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Diamond_Ninja

Agreed, there's some scummy people around. Our taxi driver was saying those very things to us the other night it really makes you think how drunk or just plain ignorant people are? No matter how much of a hoop i've ever been in, i've never abused anyone, shouted at anyone and never thrown money at a taxi driver, granted I dont always tip but I never refuse to pay a fare, it's plain old good manners!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Same as every other provincial town in Ireland every Saturday night. Pure scumbags. Pubs and clubs have a lot to answer for though - forever serving drunk people totally against the law but it happens, all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

I agree drink has a lot to do with it. As far as i can see the drink as much as the body can hold and then more for good luck.Its not about going out and having a good night its about how many shots and drinks they can have before passing out.I see them on my facebook page and the main topic is getting pissed out of their head.

I do think one problem is the guards come 2am they are not that easy to find 10pm there will be lots of drink driving check points but iv never seen one after 2.30am. There should be guards at Redmond SQ rank to stop the fights and around the corner at the chipper where they kill eachother.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

vicwatson wrote: »
    Same as every other provincial town in Ireland every Saturday night. Pure scumbags. Pubs and clubs have a lot to answer for though - forever serving drunk people totally against the law but it happens, all the time.

Would agree with this and its like this for many years as well. Wexford12 i am not sure that Dublin is much better. All of the incidents below happened in the last three years not pub drunks related i admit but taxi driver related.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/nigerian-taximan-dies-after-beating-that-left-him-in-a-coma-2944532.html

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0329/1224314049746.html

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0316/dublin.html

http://www.herald.ie/news/courts/killer-used-car-as-a-weapon-to-crush-taxi-man-2942703.html

Would agree with this and its like this for many years as well. Wexford12 i am not sure that Dublin is much better. All of the incidents below happened in the last three years not pub drunks related i admit but taxi driver related.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/nigerian-taximan-dies-after-beating-that-left-him-in-a-coma-2944532.html

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0329/1224314049746.html

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0316/dublin.html

http://www.herald.ie/news/courts/killer-used-car-as-a-weapon-to-crush-taxi-man-2942703.html

You would have to remember yes there are many problems up in Dublin but there are 12 thousand taxis up there so the amount of problems for each driver is very very small. And what you don't see on every street is fighting people peeing all over the place and punching breaking windows. Wexford is near to out of control

Just had a look at those links and it reminded me that we had a taxi driver killed in Wexford a number of years ago and if its left been a lawless town we will have another driver killed. I have been told many times i will be taken out of the car and my head stamped on and did i want a knife in my face.

• Advertisement

wexford12 wrote: »
    You would have to remember yes there are many problems up in Dublin but there are 12 thousand taxis up there so the amount of problems for each driver is very very small. And what you don't see on every street is fighting people peeing all over the place and punching breaking windows. Wexford is near to out of control

Just had a look at those links and it reminded me that we had a taxi driver killed in Wexford a number of years ago and if its left been a lawless town we will have another driver killed. I have been told many times i will be taken out of the car and my head stamped on and did i want a knife in my face.

I am sorry but you are not making alot of sense. You say that because there are more taxis in Dublin the likelihood of being killed is less, yet you its a real possibility you could be next. Yet in Wexford you are more worried about abuse and threatening behaviour.

I remember when I lived in Dublin the same behaviour went on as you described earlier, no different from wexford. However I do think in Dublin you can make a living without having to do the nightclub shift 1am to morn at the weekends am i right? Coversley I suspect in Wexford that the nightclub shift is your main earner and you have to be taking nearly every fair no matter how drunk whereas in Dublin you might pass up a what you believe to be a drunk person and pick and choose you could say. Perhaps not comparing like with like although I do agree people should not be behaving in this manner towards you.

I hope I'm not killed in Wexford lol but joking aside a punch in the head can kill someone. So far i have been lucky and talked my way out of been hit etc. Lots of drivers have been assaulted over the years and cars damaged windows broke etc. Its a small town and for the size it has problems be it with taxis or shop windows and fights every weekend . Dublin has far fewer problems and you do have the option of who to pick up and not talk the very drunk guys. If you pick and choose down here you will go home with very little money at the end of the night.

I hope I'm not killed in Wexford lol but joking aside a punch in the head can kill someone. So far i have been lucky and talked my way out of been hit etc. Lots of drivers have been assaulted over the years and cars damaged windows broke etc. Its a small town and for the size it has problems be it with taxis or shop windows and fights every weekend . Dublin has far fewer problems and you do have the option of who to pick up and not talk the very drunk guys. If you pick and choose down here you will go home with very little money at the end of the night.

There in lies the problem then as i said in the previous post. What do you think you opinion would be of dublin if you had to pick up drunk people like you do in Wexford. I think its a problem nationwide to be honest, go out in any town or work as a taxi man in any town and you will see the same.

Well its very sad to think that every small town is the same

Well its very sad to think that every small town is the same

Sad but true, ask any Garda next time you are talking to one.

Edit - of course the fact that they are all the same doesn't excuse the scum for terrorising towns and it's people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I am sorry but you are not making alot of sense. You say that because there are more taxis in Dublin the likelihood of being killed is less, yet you its a real possibility you could be next. Yet in Wexford you are more worried about abuse and threatening behaviour.

I remember when I lived in Dublin the same behaviour went on as you described earlier, no different from wexford. However I do think in Dublin you can make a living without having to do the nightclub shift 1am to morn at the weekends am i right? Coversley I suspect in Wexford that the nightclub shift is your main earner and you have to be taking nearly every fair no matter how drunk whereas in Dublin you might pass up a what you believe to be a drunk person and pick and choose you could say. Perhaps not comparing like with like although I do agree people should not be behaving in this manner towards you.

I think the point being made is that there are a lot more people and taxi's in Dublin with relatively little trouble. There seems to be a lot of trouble in Wexford relative to the population and amount of taxi drivers there.

I rarely go out in Wexford at night any more, the cost, crap night life and having to get up in the morning with a small kid don't make it worthwhile. From what I have seen out and about in Wexford in the last 2-3 years is mainly people falling around the place drunk with no respect for themselves or anyone else for that matter. Drinking in moderation doesn't seem to be an option for most :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

I've always thought that Wexford does have a higher level of scumbags in the town than other places.

I hate going for a night out in Wexford now, to the level where I don't. I genuinely feel safer walking around Dublin than walking down Wexford main street. :(

Lola92 wrote: »
    I think the point being made is that there are a lot more people and taxi's in Dublin with relatively little trouble. There seems to be a lot of trouble in Wexford relative to the population and amount of taxi drivers there.

I rarely go out in Wexford at night any more, the cost, crap night life and having to get up in the morning with a small kid don't make it worthwhile. From what I have seen out and about in Wexford in the last 2-3 years is mainly people falling around the place drunk with no respect for themselves or anyone else for that matter. Drinking in moderation doesn't seem to be an option for most :rolleyes:

And I have made the point in the next post that when wexford12 was a taximan in Dublin he was able to pick and choose who he wanted as a fare so his experience of things is different to Wexford town where he has to take a fare to make money even though he doesnt really want to (people too drunk etc.). So the viewpoint of the saintly taxi goers of Dublin may be biased. I personally think most places are the same.
    I rarely go out in Wexford at night any more, the cost, crap night life and having to get up in the morning with a small kid don't make it worthwhile. From what I have seen out and about in Wexford in the last 2-3 years is mainly people falling around the place drunk with no respect for themselves or anyone else for that matter. Drinking in moderation doesn't seem to be an option for most rolleyes.gif

I would say the cost of drink is high nationally not just in Wexford and you are in a small regional town so the nightlife is going to be minimal. People not drinking in moderation isnt a recent epidemic its being going on for decades.

Zhane wrote: »
    I've always thought that Wexford does have a higher level of scumbags in the town than other places.

I hate going for a night out in Wexford now, to the level where I don't. I genuinely feel safer walking around Dublin than walking down Wexford main street. :(
    her
    Perhaps but I think its the same everywhere now. I am currently living in a rural area and the amount of robberies, vandalism and drugs in the area is crazy. There is actually a thread in the waterford city region section saying how their city is gone to the dogs as well.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056646920

All this is probably a by-product of the recession to be honest.

I think its a bit of a cop out to say every small town is the same.So should everyone just have to put up with this I don't think so. Its time the guards did something about it Wexford is a lawless do what you want town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

her
    Perhaps but I think its the same everywhere now. I am currently living in a rural area and the amount of robberies, vandalism and drugs in the area is crazy. There is actually a thread in the waterford city region section saying how their city is gone to the dogs as well.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056646920

All this is probably a by-product of the recession to be honest.

By definition a recession should have the opposite effect. The principal reason, IMO, is the price of drink. Far from being expensive, drink is dirt cheap. There is a thread in Bargain Alerts advertising beer at €1 a can, so the average scumbag on the dole can afford get pissed 7 days a week, litre bottles of spirits are often advertised at ridiculous prices. If I remember back to my late teens and twenties, I couldn't afford to have a drink more than twice a week and even then, thought hard of it.
    Move on then to the PC, bleeding hard culture in which we live today. There is no authority, unruly children can't be disciplined, teachers are attacked in their classrooms, kids of twelve and thirteen are blind drunk on our beaches. These children grow into unruly adolescents and unruly adults, The Government ignores it, the Gardaí ignore it, the Courts excuse it, how many times have you seen a solicitor advance the defence "He wouldn't have done it only he was drunk, Your Honour" and this is supposed to be a mitigating factor? The reason they ignore it is because it doesn't affect them, there are no cider parties on Westminster Road in Foxrock, there are no pitched battles at taxi ranks in Dartry, Gardai on foot are a rarity and the average patrol car can outrun even the fittest scumbags.
    Basically, the Celtic Tiger era has seen the rise of the "Mé Féiner", there is no society any more, the demise of the Church as a moral authority has meant that people have no one left to look up to. The Government, Gardaí, Courts etc are seen as acting against, rather than for the people and have lost all confidence and respect, in truth, if the authorities continue in the same vein it can only get worse.

I think its a bit of a cop out to say every small town is the same.So should everyone just have to put up with this I don't think so. Its time the guards did something about it Wexford is a lawless do what you want town

I'm simply stating a fact, that said the fact doesn't mean it should be tolerated in society but in good aul Ireland it seems like it is acceptable.

IMO it's completely unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Do'nt think it's any worse than ever it was. Lad's have had a fight after a drink since the year dot. Normally the same few every night off thier heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

And I have made the point in the next post that when wexford12 was a taximan in Dublin he was able to pick and choose who he wanted as a fare so his experience of things is different to Wexford town where he has to take a fare to make money even though he doesnt really want to (people too drunk etc.). So the viewpoint of the saintly taxi goers of Dublin may be biased. I personally think most places are the same.
    No one said anything about 'saintly taxi goers' anywhere. Although there are more fares in Dublin there are also a lot more drivers and most of them are finding it hard to get by if media reports are anything to go by, so there is still a lot of competition for the work available. Tbh, I don't know how much 'picking and choosing' there is to it? Surely in most cases it is a matter of waiting in a rank and picking up whoever happens to come along.
    I would say the cost of drink is high nationally not just in Wexford and you are in a small regional town so the nightlife is going to be minimal. People not drinking in moderation isnt a recent epidemic its being going on for decades.
    Sorry maybe I should have been clearer, I didn't mean the cost of drinking in Wexford alone, the cost of going out in general. Combined a night of food and/or drinks, taxi and a babysitter is not something that we can afford regularly any more, no matter where in the country we might be. Also with regard to what you said about people drinking to excess being a long term problem - should that make it any more acceptable? Most young Irish people can not just go out and have one drink, or two, it has to be over the top. Also I think that the 'pre-drinking' culture has also had a big impact on this. Many people are now drinking a considerable amount of cheap alcohol at home then hitting the pubs and clubs to drink even more again.

No one said anything about 'saintly taxi goers' anywhere. Although there are more fares in Dublin there are also a lot more drivers and most of them are finding it hard to get by if media reports are anything to go by, so there is still a lot of competition for the work available. Tbh, I don't know how much 'picking and choosing' there is to it? Surely in most cases it is a matter of waiting in a rank and picking up whoever happens to come along.

I made a quip about the saintly taxi goers in Dublin as some posters here think that the people that take taxis in Wexford are all scumbags and it would rarely happen in Dublin etc.

The picking and choosing is in relation to not picking drunk people in Dublin and still being able to make a living. I have seen taxi men doing it and have been told by several that they do it so i didnt invent it in my mind. If you are in a rank you can lock your doors you know if you dont want their fare (seen this happening alot actually). Wexford12's situation is different as he cant use this process as he wouldnt get any business in a Wexford this way with a smaller pool of people but I feel he may have employed this tactic along with his mates in their time in Dublin and it has tainted his and their view as Dublin having nice taxigoers as they have effectively avoided the scum intentionally.

Sorry maybe I should have been clearer, I didn't mean the cost of drinking in Wexford alone, the cost of going out in general. Combined a night of food and/or drinks, taxi and a babysitter is not something that we can afford regularly any more, no matter where in the country we might be. Also with regard to what you said about people drinking to excess being a long term problem - should that make it any more acceptable? Most young Irish people can not just go out and have one drink, or two, it has to be over the top. Also I think that the 'pre-drinking' culture has also had a big impact on this. Many people are now drinking a considerable amount of cheap alcohol at home then hitting the pubs and clubs to drink even more again.

No I wouldnt agree that drinking to excess is acceptable but I myself have come to terms with that fact that people will do it in Ireland no matter what. There is no quick fix to it in my eyes. Supermarket booze has changed the game but years ago people went to the pub earlier so still had the same amount of drink in my eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

I actually think things were worse years ago. In the 80's a crowd of people from Wexford visiting Enniscorthy, or vise versa, would get the sh1t kicked out of them. There was a lot more anger about.

There's a lot less chance of that happening these days.

Put simply, young lads + alchohol = rowdy behaviour. You can say that about any city, town or village in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Town is much quieter at the weekends now than it was 10 years ago.

Im out every weekend and its very rare I see any trouble.

Advertisement