Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No confirmation email from hotel

Options
  • 28-05-2012 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

I booked a hotel room for a wedding that I will be attending. I called the hotel and gave them my credit card details, etc to confirm the booking.

I was told that a confirmation email would be sent to me. I never got one, so I emailed the hotel. Still got nothing, so I decided that I would phone.

Spoke to the same person who took my booking and found her to be very rude. She told me in no uncertain terms that the email had been sent and that she had received my email and didn't understand my problem since it had been sent. I gave her an alternative email address, but got nothing.

I have spoken to someone else, who has not received an email either.

My issue is this; if I turn up on the day without an email of confirmation, I may well be turned away or they may offer me a room at different (higher) rates.

Should I contact the hotel again? If I should, should I just contact the manager, or should I try again with the unpleasant lady in reservations?

I really feel that it is more than a minor mistake since I have emailed and called. I am also worried that if I keep pushing, they may be 'overbooked' on the night.I have never had this problem before, I presume that they might think that they have a captive audience and we will pay what we are asked to on the night.

Does anyone have any advice on what to do next? Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Maybe their email to you has been blocked out by some spam filter. These things happen.

You made your booking, you confirmed, so all you need to do now is turn up and enjoy your time in the hotel.

I wouldn't worry at all about a confirmation email.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

check your spam or junk mail folder and see if its there. These things tend to get put there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You've been told on the phone that your booking was accepted, and that it is confirmed. There is no need to do anything else, and no real need for a confirmation from them. If, when you rang them, you were told there was no record of the booking then you would be worried, but that's not the case.

The email could be in your spam filter, or there could be an issue with the hotel's outgoing emails that they're not aware of. Either way, you don't need it since you have confirmed the booking is in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

Checked the spam folders on both email accounts. To be honest, I expected civility on the phone but the reservations person just snapped at me. If she is like that on the phone, just worried that I will get a more unpleasant welcome.

I have never been allowed to check into a hotel without the confirmation email before and I always call to confirm the booking in advance.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I have never been allowed to check into a hotel without the confirmation email before and I always call to confirm the booking in advance.

I've done it many times. Once I know I've booked (and confirmed), I turn up give my name and then check in. I've never had a problem.

You're booked in and have confirmed. Nothing else is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

I can't remember the last time I brought a booking confirmation with me to a hotel. I just turn up, tell them my name and get my room keys. If she was able to find it on the system, you're fine. That's the same system they'll check when you get there.

Apart from a lesson in customer care for the reservations lady! Seriously rude and it was totally unnecessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

Make sure you get the reference number for your booking, if you haven't already done so.

And don't take any cheek from anybody regarding the confirmation email. Emails do get lost / fall victim to spam filters / etc, that's just a fact of life. So unless they have a non-repudiation system in place to verify that you received and/or read the email they have to accept your word.

And unless they are complete amateurs, they should do so in a polite and respectful fashion.

LLU wrote: »
    Make sure you get the reference number for your booking, if you haven't already done so.

And don't take any cheek from anybody regarding the confirmation email. Emails do get lost / fall victim to spam filters / etc, that's just a fact of life. So unless they have a non-repudiation system in place to verify that you received and/or read the email they have to accept your word.

And unless they are complete amateurs, they should do so in a polite and respectful fashion.

Thanks LLU. She just snapped at me and told me to check my spam folder. I offered her another email address just in case, but she didn't seem very interested. I was polite and nice, cos I have had plenty experience being on the other end of moaning phone calls.

I will give them another ring and take a name this time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

if she confirmed its booked then there's nothing more to be done except mention her behaviour to the manager when you arrive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Request a reservation number over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Or go retro, ask them to send you a confirmation letter by post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭beeroclock

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Or go retro, ask them to send you a confirmation letter by post.

was going to suggest this also, and get the reference number too over the phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

How about sending them an email asking to confirm the booking?

Advertisement