Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did you go to the Tech or the CBS/Convent ?

• 28-05-2012 3:18pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

. . . and did it have an influence on your future career.

There was always a snobbishness thing about the CBS over the Tech.
    The Tech never did themselves any favours with their poor academic results, awful drop out rate aswell.
    The CBS was meant for kids going on to 3rd level & the Tech was for lads going on to do apprenticeships.

Is this still the case or have the Tech's raised their game academically ?.
    I'd like to know what people ended up as as a product of both systems.

I went to the CBS & ended up as a degree qualified engineer.
    I've a brother who attended the Tech but got expelled at 14, now unemployed.
    2 sisters who went to the convent ended up as a teacher & a bank official.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I guess the Tech had the advantage of fewer rapes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

What's a tech? Is that like a pobalscoil?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

phasers wrote: »
    What's a tech? Is that like a pobailscoil?

School run by your local VEC

What's a pobailscoil? I don't know that one

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I went to the CBS.

That said, fellow students in my CBS class ended up as drug-pushers, crooks and concert pianists.
    They could have become any of those if they wanted to, had they attended any of the options you listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Boarding school in the Austrian Tyrol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i went to both.

the CBS in carlow upto 6th year but i repeated my leaving in the Tech.

imo the tech was actually the better of the two schools.

1. CBS was boys only Tech was co-ed
    2. The tech offered more subject choice than the cbs
    3. The tech in carlow also has PLC courses the CBS didnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Biggins wrote: »
    I went to the CBS.

That said, fellow students in my CBS class ended up as drug-pushers, crooks and concert pianists.
    They could have become any of those if they wanted to, had they attended any of the options you listed.

Few penists in my old school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

All girls convent - may cause sexual repression or rampant promiscuity. Both not necessarily independent of each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Dudess wrote: »
    All girls convent - may cause sexual repression or rampant promiscuity. Both not necessarily independent of each other.

any experimental lesbianism happen there? ;)

neither

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

mikemac1 wrote: »
    School run by your local VEC

What's a pobailscoil? I don't know that one
    That's what the non-church school around here is called, it's Irish for public school I think. Weirdly it's not a Gaelscoil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

I guess the Tech had the advantage of fewer rapes.

If we stick to the pupils, maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

No soccer teams in our CBS, just not the done thing
    No rugby either

It's GAA or GTFO

We played rounders too which I think is originally an old Irish game.
    Used to love the rounders

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭fearcruach

Went to a Tech, qualified as a pharmacist and work for a major pharmaceutical company. A fried of mine in the same year is currently studying in Notre Dame Universtity in the USA to complete his PhD.

So it's not all bad. To be fair, the general results weren't great but a lot of us did go to 3rd level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

convent primary, tech secondary, as above convent all girls while tech was co-ed. There were apx 22 boys for every 8 girls per class so there was never a dull moment. It was a recently established school too so there were a lot of young/student teachers who hadn't a clue how to teach and most pupils came from a densely populated area with high unemployment. Lot of failures career wise out of it, few went on to third level, me being one. But school was fun. (I did return to education time and again over the years but never had a specific career path)

CBS. A wide variety of people coming out from drug addicts to lads with full scholarships to various colleges here and abroad.
    You alone decide what you want to do in your life, your surroundings and upbringing decide the level of difficulty in achieving your goals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 ClosedAccount

Is 'Tech' the name of a specific school?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Ended up in a CBS in Dublin but not for long, so mercifully, I wasn't in the hands of the sadistic bastards for long.

I'm not sure that the career-defining differences that you outline between CBS and Tech made much difference in workling class Dublin schools. :)

V.E.C. schools, I went to a community college as opposed an educational centre funded by a religious organisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

Are we talking about the tech in tuam or mountbellew

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    . . . and did it have an influence on your future career.

There was always a snobbishness thing about the CBS over the Tech.
    The Tech never did themselves any favours with their poor academic results, awful drop out rate aswell.
    The CBS was meant for kids going on to 3rd level & the Tech was for lads going on to do apprenticeships.

Is this still the case or have the Tech's raised their game academically ?.
    I'd like to know what people ended up as as a product of both systems.

I went to the CBS & ended up as a degree qualified engineer.
    I've a brother who attended the Tech but got expelled at 14, now unemployed.
    2 sisters who went to the convent ended up as a teacher & a bank official.

a little more info on the interweb for the boards police to find you.

cena wrote: »
    VEC schools were referred to as technical colleges/institutes originally, or the tech. At least where I'm from they were.

Babybuff wrote: »
    V.E.C. schools, I went to a community college as opposed an educational centre funded by a religious organisation.

I went to Chanel, Marist Bros school iirc :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Babybuff wrote: »
    VEC schools were referred to as technical colleges/institutes originally, or the tech. At least where I'm from they were.
    Yeah they are. There's one in Kilkenny too. I went to a CBS and there was the same bullshít snobbishness there as well as in St. Kieran's College, especially considering the state of some of the students in those schools.

Me for instance....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I went to a tech in the countryside. Needless to say, I dont feel like I received adequate education. Also, daily classes consisted of making the teacher cry, and throwing chairs through the ceiling, and getting 20 lads together to ram down the thin partition between each prefab.

One thing that annoys me is when people from nice city schools complain about how bad they have it. When in reality their schools are huge 5 story building with giant gyms and great facilities. We had 1 indoor basketball court, which also served as the canteen (better than some schools I guess). We didnt even have any desks that were still intact, they were all just fúcked around the room and you would have to pick up a random table frame and a flat wood board to go with it. I always wanted to go to the nicer schools but my parents still believe to this day that the one they sent me too was the best because town schools are full of "thugs and lack resources for extra support". My bollox!!! 230 points in my LC, which I was surprised with.

We also could hardly even pick what subjects we wanted to do. I never wanted to do Art for the JC, but I was forced to. I never wanted to do ****ing french either, but we never had choices. While I hear how city schools offer mandrain and nihongo in 6th year these days! Yes im very jealous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Went to a community college (the name people use for techs in the last 30 years :rolleyes:) and have a degree/stable job. It worked out ok for me, thanks.

And most of the girls in my local Loreto were incredibly promiscuous/ knackery. (a few were sound girls though).

any experimental lesbianism happen there? ;)
    Didn't see any but I'm sure it happened... unless TV and movies have lied to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

i went to both.

the CBS in carlow up to 6th year but i repeated my leaving in the Tech.

but in saying that Tech was and still is a kip! You should see the scum that go there now, and i am including some of my own relatives! In my experience, many of my relatives who went to the Tech ended up doing nothing in life or else dropped out. With the Tech in Carlow it has gotten to the stage that if the kids dont care then the teachers wont either.

I went to the Presentation school, it was alright because it was a mixed school and the subject choice was fair enough. Some of my cousins went to the convent school and now that have done really well for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,118 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tech, Degree In Engineering. Currently working for an international company in a superb position.

I found no relevant difference in the people i know, from either CBS or 'the tech' in terms of their outcome in life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Yes, you either went to the Tech, or the CBS. :rolleyes:

I went to a Vocational school. Which was known locally as "the Tech". After I left, it became a Community College, with a brand spanking new building.

I went to school with a lot of boys and very few girls, I think it made it so I can converse with them without thinking of them like a separate species but I also stopped thinking of them as anything more than friends too. Most of the girls were fairly sound though, there was no bitchiness really. There's a lot that to be said for that. I still have difficulty understanding the mechanics of females in group scenarios. The nuns wouldn't have been happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

I went to a Salesian Brothers, whom I think may be some breed of Jesuits, so I was > than all you povs.

My mother used to threaten me with the tech, if I didn't get into honours maths.

This was 20 odd years ago when honours maths was hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

cena wrote: »

No, Athenry.

harmoniums wrote: »
    I went to a Salesian Brothers, whom I think may be some breed of Jesuits, so I was > than all you povs.

My mother used to threaten me with the tech, if I didn't get into honours maths.

This was 20 odd years ago when honours maths was hard.

Ohhh I hated honours maths. The teacher was a weirdo/sex predator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

All of siblings went to a tech, I'm doing a PhD and my sister is a barrister. So I guess that worked out well. There was always a bit of snobbery towards my tech school, especially in football when playing the likes of Clongowes Wood. I think the only benefit of going to a tech was doing some sort of a practical subject. I did Metal Work and then Engineering and it was the best subject by far as it thought you a skill or a way of thinking that I still haven't forgotten about (i.e. How to make Bakelite plastic and how to use an oxy acetylene welder).

• Advertisement

i went to both.

the CBS in carlow upto 6th year but i repeated my leaving in the Tech.

I started the repeat leaving cert course in the tech in Carlow.
    Hated the place.
    Decided to go back to Dublin and take my chances with my pathetic original LC results. Was ok, it was eight years ago so there was plenty of work to be had.

But on the subject of secondary schools, yes, I went to the convent school; both tech and convent were co-ed but the snobbery definitely existed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I went to the local community school, ours wasn't the worst community school in Cork though. Anyone in the school that wanted to get on did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I went to a VEC school. It was rough enough tbf (the building was literally falling to pieces but we moved into a new one when I started 6th year).

My brothers went/go to the community school and there definitely seems to be much more focus on academics then was in my school. I think I'd have done a lot better in exams if I'd have went to their school, but I'd have missed out on all the craic :pac:

Also, a bomb went off in the school when I was in 5th year. Good times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I went to a tech and I found it way better because we got to do engineering and metalwork, whereas the CBS only had woodwork as the only kind of practical subject.

On average we scored higher in our leaving compared to them as well!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I went to a tech school or as we use to call it the thick school:p alot of my mates went to CBS with a few throwing in sly digs about people going to my school,One thing the cbs boys would say to me was that I would end up working on a building site as a labourer while they be working in a nice warm office.
    How f**king wrong were they:D I ended up running the flight&ground operations for a very large airline while some of the cbs boys worked in ware housing doing pick&pack etc,It's not the school you go to that counts it's the student who wants to do well and with determination make it work.
    I remember during the late 80s early 90s our school was one of the first to get the likes of CAD& CNC lathes etc and most of the teachers were top notch with some letting us come in on a saturday to finish off our engineering projects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Went to an Educate Together primary school and an all-girls convent for secondary. They couldn't have been more different. The 'Tech' in my area wouldn't have been considered a good school, with less subject choice, geared towards less academic people or troublemakers. A lot of people ended up there having been expelled from the convent or CBS. However I think it's becoming more popular in recent years as people want their kids to get a co-ed education and the facilities are actually quite good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I went to a convent boarding school. I hadn't a hope really.

This snobbery about Techs passed me by though, there was one near us and I just thought it was just another school. And then I'm reading this eye opening article in the Irish Times at the weekend about all these people who got expelled and 'no one would take them in but the Tech' afterwards. To imagine I have lived my adult life in ignorance of the fact that Techs were in fact dumping grounds for kids from 'good' schools. Kids who went from being 'the worst trouble maker in a class to the least troublesome' according to the article. Made every Tech in the country sound like a holding pen for juvenile delinquents. Surely they weren't that bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

CBS for primary, Tech for secondary, both were so bad,they were
    closed down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

The choice in my town was either the Loreto or the Tec.

Tec was a bit rough
    Loreto wouldn't have me due to a chromosomal abnormality:P

So, neither then and went to a CBS 20k away. That said the tec would have had better facilities.

There wasn't much of an ambitious culture in my school - mediocrity reigned. It was a state school/convent in the centre of Cork with girls from all kinds of backgrounds. I don't know why there was this apathy to education going on. I don't think it was the teachers - and the place had good facilities; possibly the attitude of the popular, "cool" groups of girls, which trickled down. Lots of them used to act tough and we'd be afraid of some of them, but looking back, they were all talk (bar the odd one, who really was a scary bitch). They're absolutely grand now. Any girls who worked hard were... not explicitly bullied, but demonised to a point. I was somewhere in the middle - not a complete waster, but nowhere near hard-working enough to reach my full potential. I still got arts in UCC though.
    If I was misfortunate enough to have to do it all again, I would have gone to my local community school - or a girls' school across town which was secular and didn't seem to have the same attitude-charged atmosphere going on as the one I went to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement