Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rubbish on our beaches

Options
  • 28-05-2012 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I’m really browned off. Went to my local beach on Wednesday past, beach was spotless. Went down with the kids yesterday evening rubbish all over the beach. Will the council not enforce the law. As far as i know there is a possible €800 max fine. My question is what can you do if you see someone leaving litter behind. Without breaking the law?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

take their car registration if you can see it clearly (you could casually walk by it) and report it to the local council and garda

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Fact is most people dont seem to care about litter laws least of all the cops. A very large minority of Irish people are dirty buggers and see no problem in carrying on as there is no penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭CiaranMcDCFC

I went home a number of weeks ago and noticed that someone had very kindly left two full bags of rubbish just out side my parents gate. We presume it was left there as my parents would just throw it into their own bin and get rid of it. I look it upon myself to go through the two bags, got two different pieces of documentation which gave me a name and address. Rang my local councillor and informed him, he got straight on to the litter warden and the culprit was promptly given a €150 euro on the spot fine. I think it is in all of our interests to start reporting litter droppers or at least to put pressure on our local councilloers and TD's to have the relevant authorities start enforcing the laws that are already there, same goes for dogs fouling on public beaches, pavements and greens etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 manfield

It would be a big help if this was treated as a serious problem. Its costing us a fortune to clean up. Two weeks ago our local community made a big effort to clean up, local area looked great. People go to the beach and don’t seem to have a problem taking goodies to the beach but can’t carry it 30 meters to the bin provided. You only need to take one or two to court people soon get the message when it hits their pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

The fines are not a big enough deterrent, should be forced to work at the local dump sorting out rubbish for two weeks if caught littering

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

someone posted a pic on facebook yesterday, think it was the surf school in rossnowlagh of the beach and all along the waterline were cans and rubbish...

really disgusting to think that people can go and enjoy their day out at the beach and enjoy what nature provides for us and couldn't be bothered to even lift the rubbish they take with them :mad:

really does boil my blood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Out at Murvagh yesterday, place was destroyed.

What's the rule on camping? About 40 tents in the woods with bottles and campfires all around the place. Place looked dreadful. Hardly a southern reg to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Moonfruit

Portsalon today! Once voted the World's 2nd most beautiful beach in a poll by the Daily Telegraph. ( attached pic)

Photo taken by 'Adventure one Surf school' who with organise volunteers to beach clean throughout the year. It must be maddening for him to witness this.

I met a man from England last year who had was in the middle of loading his 5th bag (coal bag size) of rubbish left behind from a party that had taken place on Warden beach Portsalon. There was evidence that the goods were purchased in Sainsbury's?? Beer bottles were being smashed against rocks over an area frequented by families with young kids. The man was furious and was on his way to deliver the bags to the nearest Garda Station. Don't know if anything materialised from it but I felt embarassed for this man's now very negative impression of the people of the area who likely had nothing to do with the mindless selfish behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Moonfruit wrote: »
    Portsalon today! Once voted the World's 2nd most beautiful beach in a poll by the Daily Telegraph. ( attached pic)

Photo taken by 'Adventure one Surf school' who with organise volunteers to beach clean throughout the year. It must be maddening for him to witness this.

I met a man from England last year who had was in the middle of loading his 5th bag (coal bag size) of rubbish left behind from a party that had taken place on Warden beach Portsalon. There was evidence that the goods were purchased in Sainsbury's?? Beer bottles were being smashed against rocks over an area frequented by families with young kids. The man was furious and was on his way to deliver the bags to the nearest Garda Station. Don't know if anything materialised from it but I felt embarassed for this man's now very negative impression of the people of the area who likely had nothing to do with the mindless selfish behaviour.
    The first thing that strikes me from that pic is the lack of an appropriate number of bins. The bin is clearly "stacked to the throat" which of course is great to see people making full use of it but surely there should have been at least 3 or 4 bins at this location.

• Advertisement

Ya Muffler, I totally agree. the council for the area should know by now that this is bound to happen. It was a lot worse on an occasion last year, so it has obviously happened in the past. Very little foresight. But the same happens in Rossnowlagh with bags left sitting beside an overflowing bin. I can't comment on any other beaches. Surely with the benefits that tourists bring to the area, councils/businesses could provide suitable amenities to accommodate the surge during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

Well bin or no bin, if people can manage to take the suff to the beach in the first place then they should be able to take it home in put in their own bin there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

someone at a party in Murvagh 2 years ago accidently set fire to the rushes that stretch the full length of the beach. The entire enbankment from above the carpark down to almost the golf course was ablaze. If the wind had caught it, the forest could have gone up like tinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

muffler wrote: »
    The first thing that strikes me from that pic is the lack of an appropriate number of bins. The bin is clearly "stacked to the throat" which of course is great to see people making full use of it but surely there should have been at least 3 or 4 bins at this location.

That's an excuse that you see thrown around a lot.

The idiots that think it is okay to leave stuff beside/on top of a very full bin instead of taking it home with them are just that, idiots.
    If you had more bins there, what ends up happening is other idiots come along with their household waste and use these bins for it, hence why local authorities aren't too eager to put more bins in.

It's down it idiots who couldn't care less for other people who use the same resource and have scant regard for their environment and the effects of littering it. Breaking glass on or near a beach is one of the worst things that happen and should be punishable by far more than a fine.

How does this change? Well, resources are getting put towards kids in school (green schools and the like) which appear to be working and might have an impact on this kind of thing in years to come. Councils have to actively police these beaches on weekends like this and fine accordingly, perhaps with police presence also in case of any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,621 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As much as there is no substitute for manners and breeding, there needs to be more bins at the beaches, to at least take away one of the main complaints people have at the beaches.

My local beach is very popular when the sun's out, but it has 2 relatively small bins. A couple of families having a picnic would easily fill them, let alone dozens and dozens of families.

At least give them bins, and plenty of them. I know that many still won't use them, but that's another issue.

And considering the county is overflowing with unemployed people, could a few 'beach attendants' not be employed for the summer, to enforce rules?

NIMAN wrote: »
    As much as there is no substitute for manners and breeding, there needs to be more bins at the beaches, to at least take away one of the main complaints people have at the beaches.

My local beach is very popular when the sun's out, but it has 2 relatively small bins. A couple of families having a picnic would easily fill them, let alone dozens and dozens of families.

At least give them bins, and plenty of them. I know that many still won't use them, but that's another issue.

As I said above, the proven problem with bins/too many bins, is that some people will bring their household waste to the beach and use the bins for that. It happens all over the place and was one reason they removed a lot of bins from a Dublin City centre (I dont agree with this by they way)

Ultimately some personal responsibility has to come into it and rigid enforcement of the law if this doesnt happen. People can take what they want to the beach, they should be able to take their rubbish home as well.

Absolutely agree. In a perfect world, yes. But things are far from perfect, reflected in the actions of many people who only come to these beaches when the sun is shining. For many like myself who are there all year round, surfing, walking or whatever it's hard to comprehend why anyone would abuse such a beautiful commodity. It feels like someone coming into your home and crapping on your floor.

But its a problem that won't go away and at least providing ample bins would be a step.

Ideally it should be policed by those granted the power to enact the laws that already exist, but can we see this happening?

Good organisation links:

http://www.irishsurfersagainstpollution.org/

https://www.facebook.com/ISAPireland

kippy wrote: »
    As I said above, the proven problem with bins/too many bins, is that some people will bring their household waste to the beach and use the bins for that. It happens all over the place and was one reason they removed a lot of bins from a Dublin City centre (I dont agree with this by they way)

Ultimately some personal responsibility has to come into it and rigid enforcement of the law if this doesnt happen. People can take what they want to the beach, they should be able to take their rubbish home as well.

Good point
    That's what will happen.

Has something fundamentally changed in how people are rared these days (or over the last couple of decades)?

I remember coming from NI to Donegal beaches with my parents maybe 25 to 35yrs ago, and you would never have seen the mess you do now. I know for a fact that my parents would never have left rubbish anywhere, and if the bins were full, would have taken it home.

Now, as a parent myself, I too will instill this into my kids. Its fairly simple, so I can't believe we have now created a generation that has so little manners and raring that they think its acceptable to dump rubbish at their ass.

Only thing that will counteract this is fines that are actually enforced, CCTV and chasing people up afterwards and fining them then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

There seems to be a lack of planning/imagination from the council here; the odd bin that they do have on the beaches are ok in catering for off peak times.
    When the weather gets good they should deposit much larger bins (skips) that have lockable hatches, even different compartments for plastic/glass etc. That way they can be opened in the mornings and secured in the evenings - say 6pm. This way there would be ample room for 1/2 days beach waste, & would not encourage ppl to bring their household waste.

• Advertisement

Firblog wrote: »
    There seems to be a lack of planning/imagination from the council here; the odd bin that they do have on the beaches are ok in catering for off peak times.
    When the weather gets good they should deposit much larger bins (skips) that have lockable hatches, even different compartments for plastic/glass etc. That way they can be opened in the mornings and secured in the evenings - say 6pm. This way there would be ample room for 1/2 days beach waste, & would not encourage ppl to bring their household waste.

Fair enough but you cannot blame the council for the absolute appalling behavior of people, the resources required for such a scheme (without actually guaranteeing the problem will be sorted out) is a step too far for a lot of over stretched local authorities.

Exactly, and that's why its time to start fining people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Think they should do both, provide adequate & secure dumping facilities and come down like a ton of bricks on anyone who doesn't use them once provided...

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭leedslad

Moonfruit wrote: »
    Surely with the benefits that tourists bring to the area, councils/businesses could provide suitable amenities to accommodate the surge during the summer.

Don't think the ones that leave behind the Sainsbury and Asda bags are much use to the local economy TBF.
    I'm with those who feel that there shouldn't be any bins at the beach whatsoever.If you're able enough to carry it to the beach,then you're able enough to carry the bloody thing home.
    On the issue of wardens and fines,I think this could be self funding.A visable presence would deter litter louts and if they handed out 3/4 on the spot fines per day, would more than cover wages/insurance /tax

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

Disgraceful. Mate of mine took a pic of the mess left in a cove in Portsalon. Looks like it was a very large party going on. 2 cooler boxes and paint buckets full of alcohol and pillow cases too.

Have pic from her Facebook but not sure if I should put up as she sent it into the newspaper who shall not be named and it's on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

kippy wrote: »
    That's an excuse that you see thrown around a lot.

The idiots that think it is okay to leave stuff beside/on top of a very full bin instead of taking it home with them are just that, idiots.
    If you had more bins there, what ends up happening is other idiots come along with their household waste and use these bins for it, hence why local authorities aren't too eager to put more bins in.

Anytime Iv been up north there's loads of bins at picnic areas and even special dog poo bins all along footpaths, never been to any beachs up there so can't comment on those but going by picnic areas loads of bins seems to work, the areas are kept clean and well maintained and you never see an overflowing bin with rubbish stacked around it. If it works up there why can't it work down here? :confused: Why should everyone lose out because a few louts might put household waste in the bins, if that's the case we need more fines handed out to discourage them but not remove the bins altogether, the louts who are going to do that anyways will just find a ditch or someone elses wheelie bin to throw it in.

In my opinion thats just a lazy excuse by the council, screw the honest people and make them carry home their own rubbish just because their too lazy to add in extra bins, empty them regularly and employ more litter wardens to catch the offenders, fine them and discourage others. I agree in the case of someone who maybe brought a big crate of beer, they should bring home the empty bottles but for something like a few ice cream wrappers and dog poo bags who wants to put those in their pockets to carry home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I went home a number of weeks ago and noticed that someone had very kindly left two full bags of rubbish just out side my parents gate. We presume it was left there as my parents would just throw it into their own bin and get rid of it. I look it upon myself to go through the two bags, got two different pieces of documentation which gave me a name and address. Rang my local councillor and informed him, he got straight on to the litter warden and the culprit was promptly given a €150 euro on the spot fine. I think it is in all of our interests to start reporting litter droppers or at least to put pressure on our local councilloers and TD's to have the relevant authorities start enforcing the laws that are already there, same goes for dogs fouling on public beaches, pavements and greens etc!

Well isn't that just great, I got fined €150 for forgetting a cardboard box at a recycling bottle bank, think I had about 4 boxes full of bottles and I forgot one of the boxes there.
    I get a letter a week or two later fining me €150. I obviously disputed this but when I went down to the office they showed me the cctv of me leaving it behind.

I was annoyed at myself for leaving it behind and because it seemed quite petty but I paid up no problem. But reading this has annoyed me even further, because some scumbag who dumps two bin bags of rubbish outside someones house gets the same fine as me??? :mad: A €150 fine is not a deterrent

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Anytime Iv been up north there's loads of bins at picnic areas and even special dog poo bins all along footpaths, never been to any beachs up there so can't comment on those but going by picnic areas loads of bins seems to work, the areas are kept clean and well maintained and you never see an overflowing bin with rubbish stacked around it. If it works up there why can't it work down here? :confused: Why should everyone lose out because a few louts might put household waste in the bins, if that's the case we need more fines handed out to discourage them but not remove the bins altogether, the louts who are going to do that anyways will just find a ditch or someone elses wheelie bin to throw it in.

In my opinion thats just a lazy excuse by the council, screw the honest people and make them carry home their own rubbish just because their too lazy to add in extra bins, empty them regularly and employ more litter wardens to catch the offenders, fine them and discourage others. I agree in the case of someone who maybe brought a big crate of beer, they should bring home the empty bottles but for something like a few ice cream wrappers and dog poo bags who wants to put those in their pockets to carry home.

Why blame the council? I really don't get it. The only way they can be blamed is for lack of enforcement.
    What do you do if you are out walking your dog and there are no bins around in general, do you leave the dog poo bag on the pavement (from another thread here, it appears this does happen).
    If ice cream wrappers and dog poo bags were all that went in these bins there's be no issues but as you can see from one or two of the pictures of overflowing bins on this thread, its not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

I regularily walk on lisfannon beach and one day after a warm weekend I was walking amongst the dunes when I came across a paper cloth spread out with paper plates and plastic knives and forks all set out from a picnic, there were empty soft drinks bottles and other bits and pieces that these folks had just got up and walked away from, it was like something from the Marie Celeste:eek:...on the other hand my daughter and her mates headed to the beach last weekend complete with cool box and picnic stuff , several hours later I was texted to drop down to the beach where I met my daughter and her mates with all their rubbish collected and I removed it home to my bin and the bottles to the bottle bank, thats because it was the way it was always done at home or on picnics when she was younger.

I have some german freinds who are regular visitors to Ireland and they are appalled at the way we treat our country:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭leedslad

A €150 fine is not a deterrent

Bet you won't be forgetting your empty boxes anymore though

Advertisement