Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rubbish on our beaches

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

leedslad wrote: »
    Bet you won't be forgetting your empty boxes anymore though

The fine isn't the deterrent (that is obvious)
    The deterrent is actually getting caught.

More of a presence is required on these types of weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

kippy wrote: »
    Why blame the council? I really don't get it. The only way they can be blamed is for lack of enforcement.
    What do you do if you are out walking your dog and there are no bins around in general, do you leave the dog poo bag on the pavement (from another thread here, it appears this does happen).
    If ice cream wrappers and dog poo bags were all that went in these bins there's be no issues but as you can see from one or two of the pictures of overflowing bins on this thread, its not.

I don't entirely blame the councils but I don't think they should get no blame either, at the end of the day it's the individuals who litter's fault. I was brought up to always either throw my rubbish in a bin or put it into my pocket until I do get to a bin, obviously others aren't taught this.

But from my experience up north (and also abroad in lanzarote where tourism is the backbone of the island) something there is working and there are more bins, maybe there is more of a deterant for littering through enforcement or fines I don't know. I always pick up my dog's poo and carry it with me until I find a bin or bring it home, but I have 1 small dog and it's bad enough carrying a smelly bag of poo in the heat, I pity anyone with 2 or 3 larger dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Zapperzy wrote: »
    I don't entirely blame the councils but I don't think they should get no blame either, at the end of the day it's the individuals who litter's fault. I was brought up to always either throw my rubbish in a bin or put it into my pocket until I do get to a bin, obviously others aren't taught this.

But from my experience up north (and also abroad in lanzarote where tourism is the backbone of the island) something there is working and there are more bins, maybe there is more of a deterant for littering through enforcement or fines I don't know. I always pick up my dog's poo and carry it with me until I find a bin or bring it home, but I have 1 small dog and it's bad enough carrying a smelly bag of poo in the heat, I pity anyone with 2 or 3 larger dogs.

That's one of the associated issues with owning a dog.

Just to state my final thoughts on this.

1. There should be more bins (especially during the summer months)
    2. There should be more wardens on the beach, especially during decent weather.
    3. Ultimately however it comes down to education and social acceptance. Idiots who find it completely acceptable to litter beaches/break glass on beaches should be punished harshly.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

kippy wrote: »
    That's one of the associated issues with owning a dog.

Just to state my final thoughts on this.

1. There should be more bins (especially during the summer months)
    2. There should be more wardens on the beach, especially during decent weather.
    3. Ultimately however it comes down to education and social acceptance. Idiots who find it completely acceptable to litter beaches/break glass on beaches should be punished harshly.

Only place I ever saw dog bins in Donegal was Buncrana, along the shore walks. Everyone walks their dogs there.

It is the same down here. Filthy people.

Advertisement