Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recruitment company lost my passport & license

Options
  • 28-05-2012 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi all,

A recruitment company I've been in contact with requested my original passport & driver's license. In the process of posting it back to me, they say by registered post, the package appears to have been lost. I've traced the tracking number they told me was on my package, and it was delivered to their UK office. However, the UK office claim they don't have it/ this tracking number was for a different package. :(

I've been trying to track this down since April. Believing that this would've been resolved, I booked 2 flights for 2 separate job interviews, but it looks like I wont have my passport back in time to travel (despite consistent attempts to track down my stuff with the company & postal services).

Altogether, with flights & train transfers, I will be losing €360. When I consider cost of replacement passport & license, it will be €460. Does any1 know if I have the right to request compensation for this from the company? Not tryin to make a quick buck, it's a serious amount of money to me. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Of course you can ask them for the money.

But, if they are in the UK, you will most likely have a tough time collecting it.

Do they have an office in Ireland?

If so, you could try to pursue them in the Small Claims Court if they refuse to compensate you for your damages.

In the meantime, you can try to mitigate your losses by applying for an emergency passport and driving license replacement. Then ask for the costs associated with these.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

KatieMM wrote: »

A recruitment company I've been in contact with requested my original passport & driver's license.

Is this normal for a recruitment company?

Maybe this is how foreign intelligence agencies come by Irish passports...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Why on earth did you post your Passport and Driver's licence to some company in the UK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

The onus is upon them to return your documents. It is upon them to track and trace as they posted them. Request they return the documents and if they cannot, request a written explaination and a reimbursal of costs you will incur in replacing them. If they are lost in registered post they can claim compensation - they posted it so you cannot. Then report them lost and get replacements.

You would have no right to compensation from them for your flight tickets, but your travel insurance will probably cover you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 KatieMM

Why on earth did you post your Passport and Driver's licence to some company in the UK?

Because I am desperate to get work in my field and sent it by registered post to an apparently reputable recruitment company at the correct address. It arrived there safely. It has not been returned to me with the same care.

• Advertisement

The onus is upon them to return your documents. It is upon them to track and trace as they posted them. Request they return the documents and if they cannot, request a written explaination and a reimbursal of costs you will incur in replacing them. If they are lost in registered post they can claim compensation - they posted it so you cannot. Then report them lost and get replacements.

You would have no right to compensation from them for your flight tickets, but your travel insurance will probably cover you.

Thank you for your informative reply. I have had very little assistance with this from the company, and am fairly resigned now to informing the relevant agencies re lost passport and getting a new one. Thanks again.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Of course you can ask them for the money.

But, if they are in the UK, you will most likely have a tough time collecting it.

Do they have an office in Ireland?

If so, you could try to pursue them in the Small Claims Court if they refuse to compensate you for your damages.

In the meantime, you can try to mitigate your losses by applying for an emergency passport and driving license replacement. Then ask for the costs associated with these.

Thanks for your info. They have an office in Northern Ireland, this was the one I posted my documents to. I'm gonna get my emergency passport asap. Thanks again :)

Advertisement