Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Value for household appliances!!

• 28-05-2012 4:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32

Hi Iv just bought a house with my brother...we have to furnish it so i was wondering where people found the best value??
    We need a fridge/freezer ,washing machine ,Dryer ,Microwave ,kettle ,toaster etc...
    Was just wondering if buyin them all in one place would get a discount...or would it be cheaper to go up north over the border??
    Also the house cost 68,000 so would we qualify for interest relief??
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

From the few bits I've bought, generally each of the major retailers will be best in price for one specific class of item, or specific item if you've got yourself set on specifics. Nobody appeared to be cheapest across the board.

If you've got the time, I can only recommend that you try Harvey Norman, PowerCity (if there's one near enough), Currys and the local Expert franchise or equivalent and ask for a price for each item individually *and* one for the lot.

Harvey Norman have made it public that you can haggle with their sales staff and there seems to be an instant margin on some stuff you can knock off. I've also got discounts in a Currys in NI - on a single item - and my father has in Power City when buying a few items together so there's definitely room there to discuss with them. Probably can't go as hard as you can on a car though - or a house!

There doesn't seem to be a floor on mortgage interest relief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Argos.... always! If you live near the border even better,, Argos

At a pinch Tesco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

I would try your local expert shop. A friend of mine got a good deal buying all of her household items from expert. They delivered these things also.
    I will give you some advice re buying household items. I moved into a house with a washer/dryer and I would not buy a washer dryer. The drum is small and the dryer is very poor. A good brand of washing machine is a Bosch.
    If your buying a hob do not buy one with solid rings - take ages to heat up & cool down.
    For a fridge/freezer get one that is not integrated as it will be cheaper. Bring your sizes with you re width and height. Also take into consideration the way the door opens. You may need to change this - see how easy this will be change. I have been looking at these recently with some one. The ones with 3 drawers in the freezer seem to be better as the drawers have some depth ie will take a loaf of bread. See if one of the drawers is deeper for big items.
    Also I would buy good saucepans as cheap ones are a waste of money.
    I would look at Stellar saucepans - these can be on offer in the like of Arnots or good kitchen shops. Re a microwave get one with out a grill as you will use the microwave for heating up things, cooking veg and defrosting items. If you have any further questions re buying household items put it up on boards. Good luck in your new home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 Froggyman

Thanks for all the help guys,plenty of shopping around to be done..also we live in an area with alot of lime scale and the previous homeowners have taking the water softner with them so Thats the first thing we'l have to get! anyone know where to buy them or how much would you be talkin?were in the laois,tipperary,kilkenny area!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Argos? No way, always at the higher end of RRP, and they market reductions all the time to make it look as if the items are good value.

At the beginning of this year we got great value in Power City for 'most' items for a house. Samsung hob and oven, bosch washer and indesit dryer. But then the fridge was cheaper in Harvey norman so we bought that there. Went back to PC later in the year for the kettle, toaster, microwave and they knocked a few quid off again. A few weeks later saw the same kettle and toaster on 'offer' in woodies for far more than we had initially paid. We paid €25 each and woodies were marketing the kettle as €47.99 'reduced' to €30 IIRC) so it definitely pays to shop around.

Check websites for current prices, also if you can hold out for the sales you might get a few more quid off. If you're prepared to do early morning queuing then the likes of Harvey Norman and Power City do specials for the first few customers in the door, again details are always on websites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,587 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Argos are actually good prices, however they have no stock in Ireland so waiting periods apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Baralis1

Most smaller appliances, microwaves, toasters, kettles, sandwich toasters, George Foremans etc can be bought in Tescos very cheaply. While they may be basic and not look that fancy, they are functional and I have absolutely no problem with anything I've bought from them. Why pay 3 or 4 times the price for something that does the same thing but looks slightly fancier in Curries etc?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Don't bother with going North- the exchange rate at the moment is particularly atrocious. Have a look online- and don't be afraid to bargain. Even firms like DID Electrical etc- will bargain with you (I've never left one of their stores without getting at least 10% of the sticker price). Where-ever you go- ask for a discount- and double check all your prices online.

It is your own home- so you're probably better off getting reasonable quality stuff- rather than the cheapest stuff out there- look around, decide what you want- price it online- and armed with information- try a few retailers (many might pricematch the online prices, or even undercut them)

Re: mortgage interest relief- you qualify timewise until 31st Dec 2017- you need to check out the rates and ceilings chart on Revenue's website for details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Check adverts.ie also - my friend got a lovely fridge freezer there, for really cheap.

• Advertisement

Cheers guys thanks for all the help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭MariMel

if you can get over the border my folks bought all their household appliances in Watters Electrical in Culloville. Few months ago my mother was buying a kenwood mixer and every make and style of it was from between €200 and €450 cheaper than the other 5 places I rang for quotes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

MariMel wrote: »
    if you can get over the border my folks bought all their household appliances in Watters Electrical in Culloville. Few months ago my mother was buying a kenwood mixer and every make and style of it was from between €200 and €450 cheaper than the other 5 places I rang for quotes.

I was about to recommend the exact same Place. I went to Harvey Norman n there was a big hoo ha about delivery because I was in Meath, Watters didnt even charge for delivery I think, I bought everything off them. Fridge could have been bought for cheaper down here but I still ended up paying a lot less for everything so it was a small price to pay

Just keep the exchange rate in mind- its at a 3 year low against sterling. If you're intending on buying up North (or online from the UK) you really are better off waiting until the exchange rate isn't so poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭muttley-dps

Power world in Bridgend or Killea - donegal side of the border. Lot of goods with cosmetic damage on which he'll do a deal and will guarantee. Just got tumble dryer there myself.

Has anyone ever got stuff off www.discountappliances.ie ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

I have. On the plus side, really friendly, good service. Some of the appliances are practically new (apartment development clear outs etc).

Having said that, there are often such good deals in electrical shops out there, you can get the same appliances new for the same price with a better warranty.

Advertisement