Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BBC propaganda stunt on Syria massacre backfires.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭AnamGlas

What, the media, lying?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

how could they confused a 2003 photo of dead iraqis with the current syria issue?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

how could they confused a 2003 photo of dead iraqis with the current syria issue?

I hadn't seen that photo before, have you?

That said, running unverified photos through image matching software probably should be considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,312 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah, it's not like the BBC ever makes mistakes. It's not like they, oh... I don't know... mixed up the logo for the UN with a logo from Halo

Mistakes happen. Deal with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

For one brief moment they thought they were RTE?

They all make mistakes though really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

So the news is now about an incorrect picture of an event instead of being about the event itself? Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Unavailable for Comment

So they used the a photo of a massacre of civilians to illustrate the wrong massacre of civilians while stating they could not verify this particular photo was of the correct massacre of civilians.

Who cares? The fact that a massacre of civilians occurred is surely what's important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I hadn't seen that photo before, have you?

That said, running unverified photos through image matching software probably should be considered.

I really would have thought they'd already do that in relation to photos submitted by so called activists. I can't help thinking that if it was in relation to British wrongdoing they'd be a little bit more careful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Every now again again the mass media is so dishonest it gets caught out. BBC came a cropper only a few hours ago but there’s been no acknowledgement and I suspect BBC staff would like their ‘mistake’ flushed rapidly down the Memory Hole.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/9293620/BBC-News-uses-Iraq-photo-to-illustrate-Syrian-massacre.html

Happened in Sept 2001 as well in the US when the shameless pro-Israeli media over there showed footage they claimed was of Palestinians celebrating the attacks in New York.

Of course the footage was old had nothing to do with what had just happened, but another way of pro-zionists trying to portray the victims of occupation as evil.

I was listening to a radio show before christmas, i think November. It was one of those newstalk shows. They had some "expert" on from the states talking about the economy of the world etc ... He said the world is needing a war right now and dont be surprised if one is started intentionally. When asked were this war would be, he said Syria.
    He mentioned the propaganda machine will start rolling, strategically placed influential people placed within the country will do their thing and eventually a war will happen.

I remember saying to my other half about putting money on this. Everything he said was correct. I think it was Moncrieff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Sure the BBC reported Building 7 collapsed during 9/11 before it even happened...twice !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

I was listening to a radio show before christmas, i think November. It was one of those newstalk shows. They had some "expert" on from the states talking about the economy of the world etc ... He said the world is needing a war right now and dont be surprised if one is started intentionally. When asked were this war would be, he said Syria.
    He mentioned the propaganda machine will start rolling, strategically placed influential people placed within the country will do their thing and eventually a war will happen.

I remember saying to my other half about putting money on this. Everything he said was correct. I think it was Moncrieff.

Predict the same thing often enough and eventually you'll be 'right'.

Predict the same thing often enough and eventually you'll be 'right'.

Did he predict it before ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Nearly as bad as reporting WTC7 collapsing 20 minutes before it did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Never mind all that, what I want to know why they pretend that there are jeans out there that can go from Blue to Black in a matter of strides??

A bloody fool I felt last week asking for pair in Guineys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Did he predict it before ?

people have been making that kind of prediction since god knows when.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

Pretty bad mistake to make, but I'm not sure why it ranks as a propaganda stunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Standard. That's exactly what happened in the run up to Iraq 2. Watched a very interesting documentary on how the corporate media is little more than a tool of those pulling the levers behind the scenes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Every now again again the mass media is so dishonest it gets caught out. BBC came a cropper only a few hours ago but there’s been no acknowledgement and I suspect BBC staff would like their ‘mistake’ flushed rapidly down the Memory Hole.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/9293620/BBC-News-uses-Iraq-photo-to-illustrate-Syrian-massacre.html

Standard. That's exactly what happened in the run up to Iraq 2. Watched a very interesting documentary on how the corporate media is little more than a tool of those pulling the levers behind the scenes.

so are the three of you claiming the massacre didn't take place and that the whole thing about 10,000 civilians killed by the Syrian authorities is just the west creating propaganda in the run up to an invasion?

seriously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Propaganda machine in full swing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

so are the three of you claiming the massacre didn't take place and that the whole thing about 10,000 civilians killed by the Syrian authorities is just the west creating propaganda in the run up to an invasion?

seriously?
    Yes I do believe that this is a part of a well organised Zionist propaganda machine with a far greater agenda ahead of it.

Yes I do believe that this is a part of a well organised Zionist propaganda machine with a far greater agenda ahead of it.

so who killed 56 people in Syria then? or did it simply not happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭tiger55

Good stuff, was just about to link this story.

http://www.infowars.com/bbc-caught-in-syria-massacre-propaganda-hoax/

probably the radical muslims who are attacking assad.

seriously?

How much are you being paid?

There is a number of ways to look at this incident.

1/ It was a genuine atrocity carried out by the Syrian Government.

2/ It was a "false flag" carried out by NATO insurgents with the intention of putting blame on the Syrian Government.

3/ Did it even happen at all, IE staged event.

With big journalist blunders like this in main steam media I would tend to discredit the 1st option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Tym

Meh, think it was more trying to get money from a story rather than propaganda.

Apparently anybody who disagrees with the propaganda bandwagon are called paid trolls, led on by "mass media", or (wondering if this will come up) being controlled by subliminal messaging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

The first casualty of any war is the truth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭tigger123

BBC probably were short of a visual but wanted to go ahead with the story, or could have just made a mistake.

Either that's what happened, OR!!!! The BBC are now a tool of a US propaganda machine (according to some posters). Hmmmmmmmm ...

• Advertisement

2/ It was a "false flag" carried out by NATO insurgents with the intention of putting blame on the Syrian Government.

With big journalist blunders like this in main steam media I would tend to discredit the 1st option.

So, you don't think this massacre happened at all? I've just seen footage taken on mobile phones on the Channel 4 news ... you really believe this is a lie?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 saladin

tigger123 wrote: »
    BBC probably were short of a visual but wanted to go ahead with the story, or could have just made a mistake.

Either that's what happened, OR!!!! The BBC are now a tool of a US propaganda machine (according to some posters). Hmmmmmmmm ...

Well said I begin to worry about how gullible people are believing in Hilderberg, illuminati conspiracies and the like thank God (pardon the expression I'm atheist )
    there are still sane young people.

I wonder if the Run of the mills thinks 9/11 and moon landings are conspiracies just because you find a small inconsistency doesn't outweigh the tons of other evidence plus general coupon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Didn't something similar happen during the conflict in Libya? They showed video footage of protestors in Egypt and passed-it-of-as/mixed-it-up-with demonstrations taking place in Tripoli.

edit// Actually, it was footage from India

Notice in the footage segment itself how it says 'Live From Tripoli'.. that's some mistake to make!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

RichieC wrote: »
    Nearly as bad as reporting WTC7 collapsing 20 minutes before it did.

It was about to collapse. That or the BBC is in control of the Zionist-Corporate-Miscrosoft-White-Patriacrhical conspiracy... though owned by the state.

The BBC probably was anti-War in general. In any case it would give lots of space to the anti-War side, as per it's remit.

I'd go with Assad.
    So, you don't think this massacre happened at all? I've just seen footage taken on mobile phones on the Channel 4 news ... you really believe this is a lie?

They are blaming the Zionist-Alien-Corporate-Apple Computer conspiracy. I think.

Crazy how loon-talk has become mainstream. As for Zionists, who I wouldn't really call blameless in other aspects of the Middle East, I am perfectly sure that they would prefer Assad to the alternative, which is probably some class of an Islamic State. There are actual real neo-conservative news papers out there, in the US the National Review and the Weekly standard, are either pretty equivocal on this proposed intervention, or downright hostile. Nor is anyone really talking about war.

Me, I despise Assad, but he might be better than the alternative. However, as the OP knows full well, conspiracy forum that way ==>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

saladin wrote: »
    Well said I begin to worry about how gullible people are believing in Hilderberg, illuminati conspiracies and the like thank God (pardon the expression I'm atheist )
    there are still sane young people.

I wonder if the Run of the mills thinks 9/11 and moon landings are conspiracies just because you find a small inconsistency doesn't outweigh the tons of other evidence plus general coupon.

9/11 whether is was an inside job or not is still a conspiracy.

tiger55 wrote: »
    How much are you being paid?

could you tell me the best way to prevent aliens anal probing me, it is my biggest nightmare.

• Advertisement

I would guess option 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Tym

How?

It was one of the options I suggested but I would be more inclined to go by option two.

I do believe it could well be a false flag.

2,977 innocent lives were murdered on the morning of September 11th 2001 so 66 lives would be nothing to them.

RichieC wrote: »

Pedantic much? You know what they meant by the post.

It was one of the options I suggested but I would be more inclined to go by option two.

I do believe it could well be a false flag.

2,977 innocent lives were murdered on the morning of September 11th 2001 so 66 lives would be nothing to them.

"Them"?

Who are "Them"?

• Advertisement

"Them"?

Who are "Them"?

The Zionist-New-World-Order-Lizard alliance, who run the BBC and the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

If it was from a mobile phone then it must be true. And the free syrian army wouldnt have massacred a load of people and filmed it for their own purposes. Hmmm

Borderfox wrote: »
    If it was from a mobile phone then it must be true. And the free syrian army wouldnt have massacred a load of people and filmed it for their own purposes. Hmmm

They could have, but do you have any

1) Proof they would?
    2) Proof that Assad didn't?
    3) Explanations of why locals blame Assad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

They could have, but do you have any

1) Proof they would?
    2) Proof that Assad didn't?
    3) Explanations of why locals blame Assad?

Apart from what's being fed to us by the media, what proof for anything could any of us possibly have?

The fact that the BBC have not admitted that they mistakenly used the incorrect footage is just as damaging as it would be if they had used false images on purpose.

The Zionist-New-World-Order-Lizard alliance, who run the BBC and the world.

This explains. :)

r8z0jo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

Has our Taoiseach Victor Garber weighed in on this yet?

Apart from what's being fed to us by the media, what proof for anything could any of us possibly have?

The fact that the BBC have not admitted that they mistakenly used the incorrect footage is just as damaging as it would be if they had used false images on purpose.

OK, so if the media are controlling everything, how do we account for social media and it's role in these conflicts? The raw footage that's taken and instantly uploaded to places like you tube? Stuff like this ...

NSFW ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwOYTXv-ngM - if someone could embed this for me I'd be grateful, I don't know how.

There's a whole host of "amateur" footage in the links on the right, although it's not for the faint hearted. Are all these people actors?

And all the footage from Libya? And from the Arab Spring? The protests n such?

That or they haven't got around to saying it was a mistake - although I didn't see the broadcast, they were equivocal about the source of the footage to begin with.

OK, so if the media are controlling everything, how do we account for social media and it's role in these conflicts? The raw footage that's taken and instantly uploaded to places like you tube? Stuff like this ...

NSFW ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwOYTXv-ngM - if someone could embed this for me I'd be grateful, I don't know how.

There's a whole host of "amateur" footage in the links on the right, although it's not for the faint hearted. Are all these people actors?

And all the footage from Libya? And from the Arab Spring? The protests n such?

All social media showing assad in a bad light = lizards. Shure, assad is a dote.

All social media showing assad in a bad light = lizards. Shure, assad is a dote.

I like it! Not the people running the social media are lizard zionists, but the social media itself is a lizard zionist ... this thing goes all the way to Mark Zuckerberg! :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement