Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Certificate Home Economics 2012

• 28-05-2012 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭

Just thought I'll start up a thread for Home Ec to discuss predictions and various things within the paper and to ask any questions we got stuck on in the past papers.

I got stuck on this one

HL 2011 Section B Q2 (b)

"Classify artifcial sweeteners and give one example of each"

I couldn't find anything on this in my book, I found the heading but it didn't give any classifications.

Could anyone provide me with an answer please? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jamiered81

Intense sweeteners- used in small amounts as they are many times sweeter then sugar. Examples include Aspartame and Saccharin.
    Bulk sweeteners- used in large amounts as they have the same sweetening strength as sugar. Examples- Sorbitol and Manitol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

jamiered81 wrote: »
    Intense sweeteners- used in small amounts as they are many times sweeter then sugar. Examples include Aspartame and Saccharin.
    Bulk sweeteners- used in large amounts as they have the same sweetening strength as sugar. Examples- Sorbitol and Manitol.

Thanks very much! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Manic2

BRICKING IT FOR THIS!!

I'd bet carbohydrates and cereals for Q1!
    Also Leisure, Poverty and Unemployment for the Elective!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 pinkapple18

How do we feel about maybe the kettle coming up? hasn't appeared since 2005? Definitely think household technology as it comes up every second year except for last year! Also, sensory analysis is a biggie my teacher said! Any other ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Chalc2012

Would love if carbs came up with cereals! I have a feeling obesity is going to come up? My teacher thinks the irish food industry is really topical now and sensory analysis? There is so much in Home ec :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I honestly have no idea whats going to come up, I'm dreading this as much as I'm dreading English Paper 2

• Registered Users Posts: 10 pinkapple18

I honestly have no idea whats going to come up, I'm dreading this as much as I'm dreading English Paper 2

You'll all be fine! I'm think it will be okay...english paper 2 and geography are freakin' me out....are we all studying Plath?
    :P :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

You'll all be fine! I'm think it will be okay...english paper 2 and geography are freakin' me out....are we all studying Plath?
    :P :eek:

Hopefully so anyway! thank god for the extra marks with the journal. I think my class must be the only 6th year class who didn't do Plath..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

My teacher said sensory analysis/Haccp for one of the questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Siobhnk wrote: »
    My teacher said sensory analysis/Haccp for one of the questions.
    Definately avoiding that one then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 gaahurling

sensory analysis... what would a typical question on this subject be?

I saw this short question in the HL Sample Paper 1

"Explain the terms, swing or display labels in terms of the Fire Safety Order 1988"

I couldn't find anything on this in my book, no mention of swing or display labels.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭rosualt

Fergus_ wrote: »
    I saw this short question in the HL Sample Paper 1

"Explain the terms, swing or display labels in terms of the Fire Safety Order 1988"

I couldn't find anything on this in my book, no mention of swing or display labels.

Is your book lifelines? If so it's on p265... Otherwise I could write it up for you? :)

rosualt wrote: »
    Is your book lifelines? If so it's on p265... Otherwise I could write it up for you? :)

I have a different book :(

That would be great, thanks!

Fergus_ wrote: »

I have a different book :(

That would be great, thanks!

Ah sure no problem, glad to help :P here ya go...

Fire Safety Domestic Furniture Order 1988, 1995

The purpose of this order is to reduce fire-related accidents. The regulations apply to beds, cots, pushchairs, upholstered furniture, loose covers and pillows. The order requires that:
    - Fabrics used in any of the above must pass a number of fire safety tests.
    - Permanent safety labels on all items must be securely attached, clearly legible and durable.
    - A display or swing safety label must also be attached to all items.
    - Any foam filling used must be CMHR ( combustion modified high resilience) foam or filling.

Types of labels:

Display/ swing labels:
    (a) Square- Both fabric cover and filling meet safety requirements.
    (b) Triangle- Used when outer fabric is not match resistant but a fire-resistant interliner is present.

Permanent labels:

- are usually stitched on.
    - include a warning 'carelessness causes fire'
    - include name, address, date of manufacturers; importers identity/ batch number; despcription if fillings and cover material; details of interliner if used.

:)

Fergus do you use Living Life? It's on page 219 if you use that! Or do you use the other book that's around, can't remember the name of it but my friends brother used it and it was an old enough book? :/

Lads in 2009 and asked for the profile of a value added food (production, packaging etc). Could you use flour for this? And just say vitamins are added during production? Just because on the marking scheme it doesn't give the names of any foods.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 aineeeeee

Fergus do you use Living Life? It's on page 219 if you use that! Or do you use the other book that's around, can't remember the name of it but my friends brother used it and it was an old enough book? :/

Lads in 2009 and asked for the profile of a value added food (production, packaging etc). Could you use flour for this? And just say vitamins are added during production? Just because on the marking scheme it doesn't give the names of any foods.

pretty sure cheese is the one for ADF, flour is extensive processing. That's what I learned anyway!
    Dreading Home Ec. more than almost anything, I need an A1 in it :(

aineeeeee wrote: »
    pretty sure cheese is the one for ADF, flour is extensive processing. That's what I learned anyway!

But there's nothing added to cheese to make it a value added food? Super milk would be one, but I was almost sure fortified flour came under that umbrella.

But there's nothing added to cheese to make it a value added food? Super milk would be one, but I was almost sure fortified flour came under that umbrella.

The nutrients (fat, protein etc) are more concentrated due to water loss, or so my teacher says :P I guess fortified flour would work too though!

The nutrients (fat, protein etc) are more concentrated due to water loss, or so my teacher says :P I guess fortified flour would work too though!

Oh right I get ya now! Oh lord but this question has me confused now, googled added value food and it turns out its not something that's fortified?? It's like milk being processed into cheese or yoghurt! We'll I'd have been f*cked in that, would have lost 26 marks!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Oh right I get ya now! Oh lord but this question has me confused now, googled added value food and it turns out its not something that's fortified?? It's like milk being processed into cheese or yoghurt! We'll I'd have been f*cked in that, would have lost 26 marks!!!!!!
    Close one! Glad I could help :)

Oh God me too! :O
    What elective is everyone doing?

Poor us... Like I've been working so hard in this damn subject to do well, the paper can be bloody awful :(

I'm doing the social elective :) you?
    I love the whole sociology side of things, but I never have enough time to write a decent answer for it, we need more time :/

Poor us... Like I've been working so hard in this damn subject to do well, the paper can be bloody awful :(

I'm doing the social elective :) you?
    I love the whole sociology side of things, but I never have enough time to write a decent answer for it, we need more time :/

Same :) most of my class is doing textiles though, I don't know how they found the time to make a skirt on top of everything else :O I find time is an issue for question one especially, do you? and I never do seem to do well on the chart part no matter how long I spend on it :(
    Had been hoping for the A1 but its looking unlikely at this stage...

I use Get Living and couldn't really find any information in it.

I don't really do well on that Q1 chart either.

I do Social Studies for the Elective, pretty straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭AnnaKin

Hey peoples!!
    So, I was just looking at the questions and I was just wondering, finance has come up the past couple of years..whats the chances of it coming up next week? I reaaaallly dont want it to, since I just learnt off the small appliances and stuff! Any opinions? As well as that, anyone got any ideas for the Q5's?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ejcostello

So what does everyone think will come up then? Carbohydrates & Cereals? My teacher hinted at lipids but I dunno. What about micro-nutrients? Help

The thing is the course is so broad there's no knowing really :/ you could narrow it down but not be definite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 jamiered81

Can anyone explain the property Plasticity in relation to Lipids to me? the explanation in my book is pretty useless.

Advertisement