Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Certificate Home Economics 2012

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭siobhanod93

gaahurling wrote: »
    sensory analysis... what would a typical question on this subject be?

2007 had a question on it I think

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Breifne72

what's everyone thinkin in terms of predictions? fingers crossed for fish/carbohydrates as a q1, also my teacher said to look at the minerals like calcium or iron and vitamins c and d, t minus 3 days.. gettin nervous lads! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭rosualt

jamiered81 wrote: »
    Can anyone explain the property Plasticity in relation to Lipids to me? the explanation in my book is pretty useless.

Plasticity: Lipids can have properties of both a solid (saturated) and a liquid (unsaturated) fat, e.g. margarines have shape and structure but they are also soft and spreadable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

I thought I had everything basically covered, as in Q1, the elective, Q4 consumer studies and Q2 food commodities, special diets .. but now Im realising I might need to know additives, food posioning .. all that extra crap that I haven't a clue of.
    Could I be safe enough without it? Dreading this exam! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭rosualt

biohaiid wrote: »
    I thought I had everything basically covered, as in Q1, the elective, Q4 consumer studies and Q2 food commodities, special diets .. but now Im realising I might need to know additives, food posioning .. all that extra crap that I haven't a clue of.
    Could I be safe enough without it? Dreading this exam! :(

Depends what you mean by safe I suppose! short questions can be from anywhere on the course but as for the long ones, you're probably fairly safe, might be one or two parts you don't know though!

• Advertisement

rosualt wrote: »
    Depends what you mean by safe I suppose! short questions can be from anywhere on the course but as for the long ones, you're probably fairly safe, might be one or two parts you don't know though!
    Im not really focusing on the short Qs. Ah well, think its all I can do at this stage. I'll know the microbio from Biology so I'll just have a quick read over the other possibilites night before I guess!

Oh and by safe I guess I mean I could do with an A .. Oh god Im screwed :/

AnnaKin wrote: »
    Hey peoples!!
    So, I was just looking at the questions and I was just wondering, finance has come up the past couple of years..whats the chances of it coming up next week? I reaaaallly dont want it to, since I just learnt off the small appliances and stuff! Any opinions? As well as that, anyone got any ideas for the Q5's?
    Yeah I learned finance and then looked at the papers, I really cant see it.

I reckon family resource management or come kinda appliance. :)
    Thats purely just my opinion, no help from my useless teacher!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭silversky

So bored of studying Hamlet atm, so the below are my Home Ec teachers predictions.

For Q1: Lipids, Fats and Oils, Fat Soluble Vitamins, Obesity, Cholesterol. Instead of fats and oils though she said meat or cheese could come up.
    or
    Carbs, cereals, B group vits, bowel disorders etc.

(really hope its lipids)

The next few questions she said to focus on:

Consumer Studies + Household Technology

Microbiology

HACCP System and all that stuff associated with culinary cleanliness

Sensory Analysis

Oh and for the short Q's the only thing I suppose your usually guaranteed is to list the terms of a law or something like a loan from the finace section. They usually always come up

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jamiered81

For the household appliances do you have to draw a diagram of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭AnnaKin

jamiered81 wrote: »
    For the household appliances do you have to draw a diagram of them?

I do draw them, purely because it helps me remember other stuff to write!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

silversky wrote: »
    So bored of studying Hamlet atm, so the below are my Home Ec teachers predictions.

For Q1: Lipids, Fats and Oils, Fat Soluble Vitamins, Obesity, Cholesterol. Instead of fats and oils though she said meat or cheese could come up.
    or

(really hope its lipids)

Microbiology

Sensory Analysis

Oh and for the short Q's the only thing I suppose your usually guaranteed is to list the terms of a law or something like a loan from the finace section. They usually always come up

i'd agree with all of the above.
    but would add, go over all symbols etc for short q's - they came up in Q12 for the last two years and haven't been well known so know those - if you have a junior cert book handy, look up all the consumer studies symbols in the consumer protection chapter, and add to that the textiles symbols (esp red triangle and green square symbol) along with the radura symbol (see irriadiation in preservation)

and defo do go over short q's -- they are damm hard! if you want to write in the answers now (if you haven't already) do so and then on tues night have some printed off from examinations.ie to go over again. section a is worth 60 marks -- look at all the work you put into the elective and compulsory question for 80 marks .. 60 out of 320 is a heck of a big chunk not to go over...
    remember to avoid essay type answers and use bullet points!
    and to paraphrase the chief examiner's report from last year (very useful tips btw) those that explained using both a diagram and written description usually scored higher than those that just used either one on their own ... so do include diagrams for chemical structure of nutrients, working principle of an appliance etc.
    hope this helps somewhat and best of luck to everyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

or

(really hope its lipids)

Microbiology

Sensory Analysis

I really hope its along the lines of this, it'd be perfect. My teacher is thinking HACCP and Sensory Analysis will come up this year too and Microbiology is perfect for someone like me who does Biology too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭silversky

One Question Home Ec people: Can I leave out studying social studies of the family totally? I really hate those chapters.

I know a lot of people say you can make the stuff up on the day, but you're penalised if you just waffle on throughout the answer (which I will end up doing)

I'm thinking of just reading over the family laws to cover myself for the short Q's. What do ye think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

One Question Home Ec people: Can I leave out studying social studies of the family totally? I really hate those chapters.

I know a lot of people say you can make the stuff up on the day, but you're penalised if you just waffle on throughout the answer (which I will end up doing)

I'm thinking of just reading over the family laws to cover myself for the short Q's. What do ye think?

ok yes you can leave out social studies of the family as that is question 5 in section B - but then you are limiting yourself to answering two questions from 2,3 and 4.
    btw there are no short questions from the social studies section at all
    but to address the point re waffling -- if you did decide to answer that question, read the question properly, use headings to structure the answer and bullet point all answers instead of 'waffling' in paragraphs. would also be a good idea to reread the question after 2/3 bullet points to make sure you are still on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ele1992

Nerves setting in also! Meat and fish were kinda up in 2010 though? I'm repeating and i mean did nothing the first year and got B1 in higher. all the about the paper! Hopefully we'll all be lucky this year :)

Advertisement