Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do Irish people cheek kiss?

• 28-05-2012 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

This is what I'm talking about:
    http://www.nypost.com/rw/nypost/2012/03/12/pagesix/web_photos/BrazilPrinceHarry110833--300x300.jpg

In Terra Brasilis it is pretty common to do that when you're introduced to someone (guy and girl or girl and girl, never guy and guy).

In America, though, people don't do that; I've been introduced to several ladies and the closest I got to what we do in Brazil is a handshake (which is usually reserved for guy-guy situations).

A friend of mine, who's Dane, said they don't do that in Denmark either.

What about you, my dear Irish people? Do you guys also cheek kiss people that you meet (in social situations, of course) or do you only reserve it to those you already know for a while? Or is it just a Brazilian thing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Only time I have ever saw it happen was after a wedding. Other than that, no we dont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Depends on which cheeks and who's doing the kissing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

yeah, I know a bunch of people who give cheek kisses. It's ok now that I've grown accustomed to it,almost prefer it to a handshake because my handshake is weak and flimsy and I find people analyse that crap too much. Just kiss my cheek and stfu.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭crfcaio

El Siglo wrote: »

It's not like we French kiss each other's cheek; it's more of a touch of the cheeks, you know?

I mean it more in situations where you just get introduced to someone by a friend, or in family situations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

El Siglo wrote: »

Merkel, Enda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I hate that cheek-kissing bs.
    Just grab their left tit with your hand and jiggle it a little. It's not that difficult. No need for dribbling saliva down each other's cheeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

English people do. We don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Babybuff wrote: »
    ...my handshake is weak and flimsy and I find people analyse that crap too much. Just kiss my cheek and stfu.

If at a job interview, make the effort (oh dear, SOOO much effort to shake a hand, amirite?).

Weak handshake = no job.

I'd like cheek-kissing to become normal here, but Irish people are too awkward and distant ("What do they think they're doing?!?").
    Until four pints in, at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭Archeron

A girl I know does this eveytime she meets people. I recently gave her a lift into Dublin, and as she was getting ready to get out of the car, she turned her cheek towards me. I done a MWAH thing (which I hate, but didnt want to be rude as I know she does it).

Turns out she was just reaching down to get her handbag off the floor, and we both felt really awkward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

I'm Irish and I kiss some of my foreign female friends on the cheek when saying hello/goodbye. Wouldn't kiss my Irish friends though.

I read somewhere that in the 1800's it was customary for a gentleman to fondle a ladies breasts upon greeting her. However this was only accepatable if the two were related.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

No, we don't usually. It's not just a Brazillian thing though, the French do it, and the Italians, lots of Europe really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

maglite wrote: »
    Merkel, Enda

Arse-licking is slightly different to kissing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

No not really. I find it awkward as I usually end up going the same way as the woman and nearly head butting her. Damn these social conventions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Linoge wrote: »
    English people do. We don't.

Since when?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

crfcaio wrote: »
    This is what I'm talking about:
    http://www.nypost.com/rw/nypost/2012/03/12/pagesix/web_photos/BrazilPrinceHarry110833--300x300.jpg

In Terra Brasilis it is pretty common to do that when you're introduced to someone (guy and girl or girl and girl, never guy and guy).

In America, though, people don't do that; I've been introduced to several ladies and the closest I got to what we do in Brazil is a handshake (which is usually reserved for guy-guy situations).

A friend of mine, who's Dane, said they don't do that in Denmark either.

What about you, my dear Irish people? Do you guys also cheek kiss people that you meet (in social situations, of course) or do you only reserve it to those you already know for a while? Or is it just a Brazilian thing?

I always do in fairness. Its just being polite I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,282 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I prefer a kick in the face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I used to live next to 2 Belgian girls and any time I ran into them they would always give me a kiss on the cheeks. The first time I met them I recoiled a bit when they went to kiss me and I think I insulted them a bit. I just did it with them as it seemed customary, I'd never do it with Irish people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Is it ok to drop the hand if it's just a cheek kiss?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

irish people lick each other's left ear as a greeting... OP you should try it ;)

never lick the right ear... its seen as a challenge or dual if u want one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

did ya slip the tongue in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

nope, i like my personal space!

when i lived in France, the french were crazy into it! Every time i met someone new i had to do the kissing the cheek thing! every.single.time

nope, i like my personal space!

when i lived in France, the french were crazy into it! Every time i met someone new i had to do the kissing the cheek thing! every.single.time

you should lick their left ear :P

That makes me sad, since I love Ireland :(

I feel like it's extremely unfriendly when people don't do it.

you should lick their left ear :P

maybe lick the whole cheek while im at it?? :pac:

maybe lick the whole cheek while im at it?? :pac:

you could also nibble the left ear lobe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Go to Copper Face Jacks - girls there love to have their cheeks kissed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Tim the Enchanter

I know a bunch of lads that do this but its not your continental style kiss its a proper smacker on the cheek. Kinda weird if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

grindle wrote: »
    If at a job interview, make the effort (oh dear, SOOO much effort to shake a hand, amirite?).

Weak handshake = no job.

I'd like cheek-kissing to become normal here, but Irish people are too awkward and distant ("What do they think they're doing?!?").
    Until four pints in, at least.

well I just had a job interview and I shook hands and I got the job so it mustn't be too bad :P

I met a few people out recently and one of them was a handshaker and she said ew, what do you call that, thats not a handshake, this is a handshake..*crunches fist
    I asked her was she from a farming background, turns out she was.

you could also nibble the left ear lobe

and to make the greeting extra special a massive hickey...sure they'd only love it! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Will Smith ain't too fond of it:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Some particularly cuntish D4 types do it.

I quite like it as a form of greeting but despise the type of people who seem to have adopted it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Lived in portugal for years,They all do it there and now I do it here :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

My Dutch relatives do.
    I usually try to dodge the whole kissy thing, but they can be quite insistent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Denise90

We don't particularly like to show too much emotion, cheek kissing could be construed as a happy/excited emotion upon meeting a friend. No go.
    I have an Austrian relation who does a double cheek kiss every time we meet and I find it awkward. I think on birthdays, weddings, etc. it's acceptable though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Cant stand that sh1te false cheek kissing thing that some people try and do.
    That and there was a feckin hugging phase that emo's and some youger people
    were doing for a while.

for the young'uns Its like an excuse for horny young male teenagers to try and get some bodily contact with a female without looking like a perv.

Fair enough if its a greeting for another culture where its a traditional greeting.
    but in Ireland its NOT. and then you got the half ass air kissing attempts
    which probably started off with women not wanting to mess up their lipstick
    and now the feckin men are doing the whole air kissing fiasco. What
    next will we be rubbing noses with each other.

Come dine with me and posh people that like to give the illusion they are cultured are to blame.

Another thing that annoys me is that people that want to shake your hand
    each and every time they meet you. While I've no problem shaking hands
    with somebody when I've been first introduced or if your congratulating someone on something but as a greeting like an Hello or Hi each time you meet
    its a little much.

~B

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Ive only ever done this with siblings or close friends. None of this foreign two kisses each side stuff, just one on either side.

I prefer an understated greeting like that over overblown squeals and hugs that seems to be all to popular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I wouldn't call that an understated greeting.
    What's wrong with a simple 'hi' or a smile or perfunctory nod?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭CdeC

depends on how long I know them.

Strangers

Guy : Handshake
    Girl : Handshake

Friends

Guys : Hand shake
    Girls : kiss on cheek

Really good friends

Guys : Hug (sometimes)
    Girls : Kiss on Cheek

My Mam : tongues

Growing up in Portlaoise, any cheek-kissing would have got you knifed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

For a person like me who likes to see how close people can become, without ever touching at all this could only equate to kissing arse cheeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I was at a French class giving by a girl a Swiss girl who could not understand why we Irish would hug people as a greeting but not kiss cheeks

I was at a French class giving by a girl a Swiss girl who could not understand why we Irish would hug people as a greeting but not kiss cheeks

we like a sneaky grope ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Tbh the hugging is a new thing and I blame emo teenagers. Firm handshake or a curt nod is sufficient for most social encounters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

I have a lot of European friends, and the guys and girls would do it as common practice. When I was introduced to my Austrian friend's boyfriend for the first time, he went for a kiss on each cheek and I was very taken aback! Now, I'm used to it and I don't bat an eyelid when he does it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Bambi wrote: »
    Tbh the hugging is a new thing and I blame emo teenagers. Firm handshake or a curt nod is sufficient for most social encounters

Handshakes bother me.
    I don't like the feel of hands, god knows what the person has touched before touching your hand, and also it's just plain stupid.
    I do know the biological/body language reasons, but that doesn't change how I feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

CdeC wrote: »
    depends on how long I know them.

Strangers

Guy : Handshake
    Girl : Handshake

Friends

Guys : Hand shake
    Girls : kiss on cheek

Really good friends

Guys : Hug (sometimes)
    Girls : Kiss on Cheek

My Mam : tongues
    Same here. Its common this side of the world. Get used to it.
    Apart from the kast one ya dirty fecker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Why? It's just not how things are done in Ireland. Don't see how kissing both cheeks makes you any friendlier....it can be as cold and insincere as a handshake if you're doing it to multiple people and to strangers.
    Denise90 wrote: »
    We don't particularly like to show too much emotion, cheek kissing could be construed as a happy/excited emotion upon meeting a friend. No go.
    I have an Austrian relation who does a double cheek kiss every time we meet and I find it awkward. I think on birthdays, weddings, etc. it's acceptable though.

That's pure rubbish. The Irish aren't cold people generally speaking and the Irish are as comfortable with displays of emotion as the continentals. I think the Irish are quite exceptional in Northern Europe for this (definitely more gregarious with our emotions than the Austrains IME). Here in Spain they do the kissy-kissy thing but when you do it everyday to everyone you meet including strangers, it becomes routine and standard, just like a handshake. It's not any friendlier in my book. I don't think twice about it. I've been given stoney-faced kisses from strangers in groups who wouldn't acknowledge me beyond that. It can be affectionate if the person means something to you but in Ireland we'd usually hug someone who meant something to you anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement