Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Voter Turnout Predictions

• 28-05-2012 5:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭

It seems a certainty that voter turnout will be less than 50% . Paddy Power have it at 4/9, the high number of Dont Knows in the polls, the fact that it's on a Thursday rather than a Friday. So what prediction would you make for percentage turnout? I'll go with 47%.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Would probably put it at 40-ish% myself. I honestly hope most of the people who vote actually have some idea about what the referendum is actually about and don't just vote based on the posters they see or for reasons unrelated to the actual treaty. If this means there is a low turnout, then so be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Stuck Cone

Im not voting and neither is my granny because i dont know whats going on anymore, not just this treaty but life in general

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Stuck Cone wrote: »
    Im not voting and neither is my granny because i dont know whats going on anymore, not just this treaty but life in general

If you can type, You can read, If you can read you can learn what the treaty is about... We are lucky and privileged to actually have a vote so use it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Stuck Cone

charlemont wrote: »
    If you can type, You can read, If you can read you can learn what the treaty is about... We are lucky and privileged to actually have a vote so use it..

How is my one vote going to make a difference to the massive pensions of this corrupt cuntry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭beeftotheheels

Fair play sir (Ma'am?).

Too many people are saying I don't know so I'll vote x which ignores the fact that both a yes and a no vote will have consequences.

If you don't know, then the sensible answer is the one you proposed, which is not to vote. Low turnout should be read as a protest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Hey, give the chap (or lady) a break. Not everyone in interested in this stuff and not every citizen over the age of 18 needs to vote just for the sake of it. Better than making a blind decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I have to say I'd have a bit more sympathy with this. The Referendum Commission produced a very readable document explaining the Treaty. I think it's important that there be no obligation or pressure on anyone to vote; nevertheless I do marvel at how the "we didn't understand the question" complaint re-appears referendum after referendum.

On the other hand, you have to appreciate that some people have to deal with personal crises like unemployment and personal insolvency which are strongly related to the financial and sovereign crisis.

I'm sure these people would quite happily exchange time spent dwelling on their own immediate troubles for concern over this Referendum, if they could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

The documentation is good, and lays out the changes well. It's the implications of those changes that are harder to grasp. Throwing on top of that the ratio of rhetoric to solid analysis/predictions out there, it's easy to see people trying to read up and being left undecided

Advertisement