Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dubai — The best parts in 5 days?

Options
  • 28-05-2012 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

I'm to be in Dubai for 5 days and was just hoping somebody might have some recommendations on what to do or see in this time? I understand it's not exactly a city to be visiting on a budget but I am on a bit of a tight one regardless so nothing too expensive. The only plans I have as of yet are to run to the Burj Khalifa for a little while on the observation deck.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Book the Burj Khalifa in advance on the web. The walk up price is almoat 4 times the web price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

I lived there for 8 years and as you said its quite expensive. Also its getting into summer so expect temps of high 30's. Definitely head towards the souq in deria, best done in the evening. There is the gold, spice souq (market). You can get the Dow from deira to bur Dubai, old fashioned people ferry, very traditional, only costs a few dirhams. Obviously then you have the other end of the scale, burj al Arab, 7* hotel, palm islands, Atlantis hotel,plus there is the indoor ski center, golf courses. Evening entertainment the Irish village near airport is always popular, nice to sit outside in evenings and have a few drinks. If staying in sheihk zayed road fibber magees is a good spot. Some fabulous restaurants, night clubs, heavily advertised. There is a public mosque in jumeirah, the largest in Dubai, great to go and see. As said it is expensive there, I left couple of years ago but think all of above still there. Enjoy yourself try a local Arab cafe, used to love sitting there people watching. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭mikedublin

If you are trying to do it on a budget - then try and get a Nol card for the metro. The metro line runs from the airport and is very clean, safe and efficient. I was staying at a hotel out near the Mall of The Emirates (on the Sheik Zayed road) and used the metro all the time getting in and out of the city.
    Also - another good budget thing to do is take a bus (nice air conditioned modern buses) from Dubai to Abu Dhabi. You get to see a bit of the desert on the way, and Abu Dhabi is an interesting side-trip if you have the time. (I also took a bus from Dubai to Sharjah which is another of the emirates to see the Blue Souk).
    And for budget buying - there is a big Carrefour supermarket in the Mall Of The Emirates (where they sell absolutely everything).

Advertisement