Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Predictions/Discussion L.C. 2012

• 28-05-2012 6:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭

S'up guys!

Seeing as almost every other subject has a load of threads about it, I decided to make one for music. I'm hoping for the A, I don't care what type of A- if I see an A on that sheet beside Music i'll be happy regardless. :pac: So, I said i'd make this thread so see what all of us Music peeps are deciding to study for Music on the 21st of June. I have 5 days off I think between Business and Economics and then Music the day after, so I have about 2.5 full days to cram the entire course and get the A.

So what do you think will come up? I'll make a poll a little later- but i'm studying the following:

LISTENING:

Set Works
    • Barry- Really well
    • Tchaikovsky- Really well
    • Queen- Okish. Gonna know the different sections, but not that much detail- I doubt it'll come up as Q.1
    • Bach- We didn't really do it :/ I'm just going to listen to it a couple of times, know the Sections and the keys and main features

Irish Music
    • I'm going to know the list of traditional/non-traditional instruments
    • Features of Traditional/Non-Traditional Music
    • Times/Features of Each Dance

Irish Music Essays
    • The Harp
    • Sean-Nós Singing
    • Fusion of Irish Music with Other Styles
    • The Influence of Irish Music in North America
    • Regional Styles

Aural Tests
    • :/ I don't know.. I'm just going to practise all of them possible from the papers

COMPOSING:

Question 1
    • Minor- I'm going to know all my rules/melodic/harmonic/modulations etc. I really think it's going to come up.
    • Anacrusis- I'm going to know how to structure one and modulations
    • Major- I'm going to know some bar layouts so I can do a good Melody
    • 6/8- I'm just going to look over some good 1-2-3, 1-2-3 rhythm paterns

Question 5
    • Learn the Cadence Points
    • Learn re: Minor Melodies (basically the same except for the diminished 2nd chord)

What are ye all learning for Music?

What Sections etc, will you be learning the best? (Listening Q.1) (Composing Q.1/5) 8 votes

Barry
    0% 0 votes
    Queen
    12% 1 vote
    Bach
    0% 0 votes
    Tchaikovsky
    0% 0 votes
    Minor Melodies
    12% 1 vote
    Anacrusis Melodies
    62% 5 votes
    Major Melodies
    0% 0 votes
    6/8 Melodies
    0% 0 votes
    Major Backing Chords
    0% 0 votes
    Minor Backing Chords
    12% 1 vote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭lolabearxx

have you started studying it yet?
    im thinkin study bach really well, im gona have to glance over barry and then tchaicovsky really well, and then briefly look over B.R, it should be grand!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

lolabearxx wrote: »
    have you started studying it yet?
    im thinkin study bach really well, im gona have to glance over barry and then tchaicovsky really well, and then briefly look over B.R, it should be grand!!
    No. I have way too much work to do for English/Geography/French before I even think about Music! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Pretty much have Queen and Tchaik done. I already know Barry's techniques (retrofrade, splicing, wedging, hand clusters) all fairly well, just need to revise the different sections. Pretty much set for Q5 Composing and am nearly there for Q1. Find composing really hard most of the time as I've no musical theory background but I've worked fairly hard at it! Leaving Irish music and whatever other revion until the days before the exam :p 4 days is loads of time! :pac:

Pretty much have Queen and Tchaik done. I already know Barry's techniques (retrofrade, splicing, wedging, hand clusters) all fairly well, just need to revise the different sections. Pretty much set for Q5 Composing and am nearly there for Q1. Find composing really hard most of the time as I've no musical theory background but I've worked fairly hard at it! Leaving Irish music and whatever other revion until the days before the exam :p 4 days is loads of time! :pac:

Are splicing and wedging basically the same thing? Like stretching out the notes or something?

Are splicing and wedging basically the same thing? Like stretching out the notes or something?
    well they're like opposites. Wedging is widening an interval and splicing is shortening the interval! Once you understand his techniques and when they're used it's not too bad :p

• Advertisement

well they're like opposites. Wedging is widening an interval and splicing is shortening the interval! Once you understand his techniques and when they're used it's not too bad :p
    Thanks. :P I'm so going for a drink when I leave Music Composition..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

No question 4 ? :'( :L

I'm praying for a Minor melody - teacher said to show off by modulating :L

Hopefully we'll have a nice irish music question! I have little to no practice on that question! :L Hope Barry is Q1, hope we get opening for Bach and strife theme for tchaik. Also, Bo Rhap - operatic section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Going to study all the works equally. They're all going to be on the paper, so no point not doing it! I've found from looking at past papers that just because a question isn't Q1, that doesn't mean it won't be difficult. I actually find Q1 a lot easier most of the time for some reason :P After that it's just a matter of knowing the Irish music. I'm good at the aural section of Irish music, and for the essays I think I'll learn Sean Nós, Micheál O'Suilleabháin (works for a composer and as an element of fusion/changes in Irish music in the 20th century), influence on the music of North America and I dunno, maybe something else :pac: Hope we get a nice Aural Skills question, I'm usually pretty bad at them.

I love the composition paper, find it so much easier than the listening :D I need to practise minor melodies and upbeat melodies some more, but I should be okay otherwise. I love backing chords, it's so easy and worth so many marks <3

Thanks. :P I'm so going for a drink when I leave Music Composition..
    Np man! I hear ya.. I'm finding it so hard in Q1 because I'm following the 'rules' but if I'm doing something there's always the question in the back of my mind 'Am I doing this right?' or 'Surely there's a better way of doing this' :p I'll be a nervous wreck after Music's done! Thank god it's my last exam :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭gfgfgf14

Barry and a minor melody i think.....minors are easier imo.....i would love bach as main question....i hate barry

• Advertisement
Advertisement