Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stay where I am or move to Dubai: what should I do?

Options
  • 28-05-2012 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I am 29, male, and work in the IT industry having re-skilled in 2010/2011 by completing an MA. I did an internship in mid-2011 in a large, multi-national software company. They gave me a permanent position last September and I've been there ever since. In addition to my MA, I now have one year's experience in the profession and an impressive portfolio.

I really enjoy my job. The salary is good (€35k + full medical insurance + €4000 pension per year). I have no dependents or substantial debts, so it's a very comfortable salary. My colleagues are all very courteous and professional. Every day I learn something new. So things are pretty good, with the caveat that although the company pays lip service to notions of promotion, in reality it will be very hard to be promoted and to progress my career to the next level.

Socially, my life is pretty boring. I'm finding it quite hard to meet new people and the crowd at work are rather anti-social, which makes for a gossip-free workplace (always good), but no sociability whatsoever. People just sit in their cubes all day. Many of my friends have moved away, and I am unattached. There's no adventure in my life.

Two weeks ago, I was contacted on LinkedIn by an internal recruiter from a very reputable software giant. He wanted me to apply for a permanent position in their office in Dubai. He explained the company's expansion plans for the region. They are ambitious, and the company has an excellent reputation. I would be the first employee doing my particular type of work in the Dubai office. My team-mates would be spread among Ireland, Germany, China, and the US (which is pretty much the way it is where I am; I'm used to working in a distributed team). The difference is, as this company expands in Dubai over the next 2-3 years, I would have the chance to develop and manage a team beneath me. So, from a career development point of view, that would be an attractive development.

In terms of compensation, the recruiter asked me what I am currently on (including benefits) and said that his offer would be "very attractive". I have a lengthy interview this coming Friday, which I am pretty cool about. If I am offered the job, I'm thinking that they will offer slightly more per year (perhaps €38k). Dubai is tax-free, so that's a plus. Also, it's common for employers to fully pay for accommodation over there. If they did this, I could be better off per year to the tune of €15k net.

I guess I'm very conflicted about what I should do if I get this job in Dubai. It would be a big risk socially, but professionally - and maybe financially - it would be a good move.

I'd like to get some views about what professional considerations I should prioritize when deciding whether to stay where I am or leap into the unknown.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Norinoco

Hi Op,

I also work in IT - started in Dublin -then picked up a decent IT job in Sydney then got transferred to the States to manage a team.

First thing I did before making each of these moves was to make a pro's and con's list - keep the piece of paper with you and add to it as you think of things.

For me:
    Pros - international experience on CV, more money, experience of working outside your comfort zone, experience of living in a different country,warm weather, new work experience, learning to manage a team (invaluable on a CV) - and in your cause, only 7 hours from home.

Cons - Living away from the comforts of home (though I listen to Irish radio, TV and have all the foods from home so not a big deal), going in to the unknown, not knowing the culture.

There were about 30 for both pros and cons when i finished my list, and then i weighted them on accordance to their importance!! ... it will give you a clearer view on what to do.

Remember though, moving to a new city can be lonely - make sure you get stuck in to as many clubs as possible out there.

Also, have a look on-line and see what they are paying in Dubai for your position. reckon you could get a lot more than $38k out of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Good advice from the last poster.

I'd add two thoughts:

If you're lonely where you are, you will be more so in a new city - any new city. Meeting friends at works is a bonus, not a given, and (based on many posts we see here) not something that happens for lots of people. If you want to solve your social life problems, it would be a good deal easier to do it where you are. (Take up a new sport or hobby, join committees, etc)

And with 1 year's experience, are you really ready to recruit and manage a team? I guess that partly depends on whether you've had people-management expereince before doing the Masters - even in a different industry. But don't under-estimate how difficult it is, especially in an ex-pat / multi-cultural situation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Also I'd expect more then "similar" salary tax free; keep in mind that Dubai is more expensive, travel costs and that it is a VERY different legal status for you (for example fired directly but rather then with notice period; thrown in jail and your bank account locked down if you're in debt until it is settled etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

OP back. Well, I've accepted the job! I've thought long and hard about it and there are far more pros than cons.

@ Norinoco: you were right; they offered way more than 38k. Closer to 65k actually, all things considered. But really, it's not about the money for me -- more a change of scene. And I like being an expat.

@ JustMary: Thanks for the comments! I wouldn't be managing a team for two or three years in all likelihood. I also have sadly found that it's quite hard to make friends in Ireland for the past year, what with most of my old friends gone. Conversely, when I was an expat in Germany two years ago, it was extremely easy. I'm hoping for a similar experience in Dubai.

It'll be very hard to leave my current employer though, as I love my current job so much. My coworkers are great. But the move is about the totality of my life really, and the new job sounds great too.

Time for an adventure!

Advertisement