Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best 17HMR or 22wmr

Options
  • 28-05-2012 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

I think it's time to get me a 17hmr ?

I'm going for the Cz 452 Varmint in 17hmr as i have the cz in 22lr and i'm very happy with it, great little rifle.
    but i have 2 questions first as i love my 22lrs but have little experience with anything else so i will ask those of you with more knowledge than me. :D

No.1,
    I shoot bunnies, crows, magpies and the like so i'm happy enough with the 22lr but i need a bit more range so would the 17hmr be the best or would the 22wmr be the better option ? full picture, eg. Noise level, cost to feed and for the extended range over the 22lr. (I'll be keeping the cz452 .22lr/ Selling a Ruger 10/22)

No. 2,
    I know Cz are great rifles for the money, but is that just the 452 in .22lr or are there other rifle calibers as good, eg. not a one trick pony.

iv'e read loads of old threads about the 17hmr/22wmr comparisons but they seem to conflict and you never really get the answer.
    I have been thinking long enough and now I'm about ready to buy so any help making the final decision would be appreciated, Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭virminhunter

hope I'm not going to far off topic here, but if I like you already had a .22lr and was keeping it, for my second rifle I'd be getting a centerfire:o

I'm guessing you'd only be extending your effective range on the .22lr by about 100yards with the wmr or hmr.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭gearoidol

I have a cz 455 thumbhole with a hawke sidewinder 30 6-24x56.i love the gun,insanely accurate .4 inch @100 yards being my best group, .6 inch all day long. Have shot alot Of medium range rabbits 150 to 165 and maybe 20 rabbits between 170 and 180. I find shot placement very important at these distances to ensure a kill first time .
    I suppose the major downfall is wind. To achieve accurate long range you need favorable conditions. > 12 mph can blow that light bullet hugely when shooting over 150 yards.
    I shoot alot and have already put about 40 boxes through it in the last 3 months.i find the hornady 17 grain groups very well . Budget as much as possible for a good scope at least 300 to 400 IMO .
    I use a sak silencer and find one a must. It makes the gun extremely quiet at source and is a must if you shoot in pairs.
    I have taken 3 foxes to date and again I would say shot placement is very important and I would be happy enough out to between 120 to 150 yards with it.
    I have found cleanIng is very important as it is such a small caliber.budget for a decent one piece rod.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

hope I'm not going to far off topic here, but if I like you already had a .22lr and was keeping it, for my second rifle I'd be getting a centerfire:o

I know what you mean but i'm slightly disabled and don't go far, i have my permissions but stay around home mainly, ( i'm lucky to have them on my door) i use the 22lr every day and love it and would never sell it.
    if i got a centerfire i might not get the full use out of it and can not afford it to sit in the safe unused.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭virminhunter

well then I think your answer lies in not which caliber is better as they both have their advantages but which appeals to you more, if it was me I'd go for the flatness of the .17hmr, it also has a bit more energy than the wmr somewhere after 100yards.

I was thinking the 17hmr would be right but i had to ask first as i would be keeping it for a long time, would hate to make the wrong choice through lack of knowledge

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Id pick the hmr over the wmr any day. It is flatter, has a longer range and like verminhunter said it has more power than the wmr after 100 yards

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Ive a hmr myself now since november and have about 400 rounds gone through it, a friend also has a .22wmr wit a good few years and ive probably more rounds gone through that myself.

Id go for the hmr, I found it much better past 100 yards as it doesnt drop as much and packs more punch too.
    ammo has seemed to drop in price too and is on par almost with the .22mag now.

Another friend got a cz thumbhole in hmr with a 16" barrel, its a lovely gun and is dead accurate.

I'd go for the cz, Bushnell banner 4-16x50 (£100 in the uk) decent mounts, and a sak mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

i'd wait a while until the .17 hornet get here

landkeeper wrote: »
    i'd wait a while until the .17 hornet get here

Is there any time frame know about this yet, and would it be better than the 17hmr

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Erk

Is there any time frame know about this yet, and would it be better than the 17hmr

No time frame that i know of? Maybe someone else could give you a time? My guess would be a year i say! As for it being better it looks like a good foxing gun to 200 yards easily and a long range varmint gun. Depending on price for bullets would be a major factor for me whether it would be better or not. If it's similar to the 22 hornet €45 euro for bullets then i'd stick to the .17hmr. But i would still love to get one when it comes out :o the .17hmr is a great caliber. I have the CZ 452 in it and find it great with a 4-16x50 i shoot out to 250 yards at targets on a calm day and find it great craic. Wind is the major issue with it though, that's the only negative IMO.

• Advertisement

So i made the little trip down to duffy's in galway today and asked about the cz452 in 17hmr and brian threw a spanner in the works and got me all confused again..:confused:

He showed me the Marlin 917v, black synthetic stock and a heavy barrel.
    much cheaper than the cz and i now i don't know what to do.
    My thoughts are to stick with the cz, but there is €200 in the difference
    is the cz €200 better.
    I would want to keep the gun for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Stick with the cz IMO. I've used both and i found the cz better. Better trigger,nicer wood and,for me anyway,a nicer rifle to shoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I have the marlin vs, it's got a stainless heavy barrel and a Monte Carlo laminated gray stock.

Its a great little gun. I dont see the cz been worth 200 more, you'll have a bi-pod, threading and moderator on the marlin for that money.

mine groups well under an inch with most ammo.

Advertisement