Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Dropped a few hours on Bersaria tonight. Nice and easy RPG so far. Bizzarrrly the poor frail, sick child must in fact become an excorsist to fulfill his life goals.

Japan everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Are either of the 'Tales of' games on PS4 any good?

Or any decent tactical JRPG games on PS4?

Berseria is very good, Zestiria is very bad

Valkyria Chronicles and Utawarerumono Mask of Deception are good tactical games

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Picked up I Am Setsuma on sale on the Switch. Seems like it's right up my street with the battle system.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Dragon Quest builders 2 coming west next year for ps4 and switch, pity there's no vita release.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Sieghardt wrote: »
    Berseria is very good, Zestiria is very bad

Valkyria Chronicles and Utawarerumono Mask of Deception are good tactical games

Zestriria is not as bad if you play it before Berseria, it's far better than both Xillia games, it's solid but has a few shortcomings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd go with Valkyrie Chronicles over Disgaea 5. VC is a game anyone can and should love. Disgaea can be an acquired taste. I know it's a good game myself but I can never get into it.

D5 is completely off the wall but it has miles more depth in terms of the battle system and just systems in general compared to VC. You could honestly just skip the whole story in D5 if you wanted. I'm really enjoying it anyway, making my way through the story but the postgame is where it really takes off.

Played VC back on the PS3 (I think it was), have it on PC and really need to play it again, also very good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

D5 is completely off the wall but it has miles more depth in terms of the battle system and just systems in general compared to VC. You could honestly just skip the whole story in D5 if you wanted. I'm really enjoying it anyway, making my way through the story but the postgame is where it really takes off.

Played VC back on the PS3 (I think it was), have it on PC and really need to play it again, also very good.

Oh I'm not going to argue Disgaea has bags of depth. It's has grea systems and I love how the game actively encourages the player to completely break its levelling system. Just wish it would click with me. I prefer my srpgs to be more about the tactical combat like Ff tactics or even shining force. Disgaea is more about breaking the game open and abusing the system.

I must give it a proper go on PC and finally see if it clicks with me.

Oh I'm not going to argue Disgaea has bags of depth. It's has grea systems and I love how the game actively encourages the player to completely break its levelling system. Just wish it would click with me. I prefer my srpgs to be more about the tactical combat like Ff tactics or even shining force. Disgaea is more about breaking the game open and abusing the system.

I must give it a proper go on PC and finally see if it clicks with me.

I'm not sure I'll ever play it again tbh but FFT is one of my favourite games of all time, don't think I've ever been so engrossed in a game ever, was just brilliant. As for Disgaea I find playing it portable is great so if you have a Vita loads of them are available there, could easily pick one of the games up in a sale. In terms of strategy, I think you're right re. the storyline missions. They'll throw in a map every couple of chapters that's clearly designed for powerlevelling, if you get stuck you just grind that map for half an hour and hey-presto, you're absolutely fine for the next couple of chapters. It's when you get into the post-game that breaking the game really becomes necessary.

Do we count Nioh as a JRPG? Playing it at the moment, only on the second mission. Really like it so far, it certainly ain't easy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Do we count Nioh as a JRPG? Playing it at the moment, only on the second mission. Really like it so far, it certainly ain't easy.

More of an action rpg I think .

Xenji wrote: »
    Zestriria is not as bad if you play it before Berseria, it's far better than both Xillia games, it's solid but has a few shortcomings.

Zestiria is probably the worst Tales of game I've ever played except maybe Symphonia 2. The character fusion gimmick is just awful, it makes battles boring as you pretty much really only have 2 characters most of the time and it also messes up the balance. Sorey is also the worst protagonist in a series with some really bad protagonists, looking you you, Luke!

It does have some nice towns and the elemental dungeons were fun at least, great music in those too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've heard tales of innocence is the real contender for worst. A fan translation was released recently as an april fools.... and april fools joke that took years to complete with thousands of man hours.

That's dedication.

It does have some nice towns and the elemental dungeons were fun at least.
    Except the water temple. Fuck that place

Been playing a lot of FF12 lately and for a game I couldn't stand at launch I'm kind of enjoying it.

The Zodiac job system adds a lot to the game meaning I'm using skills and items I would never have used in the base game. Still feel the gameplay is sort of lacking and it feels like a poor man's Xenoblade with it's more linear design although I'm using status effects a lot more.

Probably going to play this to completion and try to finish all the hunts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

I've heard tales of innocence is the real contender for worst. A fan translation was released recently as an april fools.... and april fools joke that took years to complete with thousands of man hours.

That's dedication.

Thats Tempest you're thinking of. It was done by the same fan translator as Innocence though. Innocence wasn't that bad as far as tales games go. It was pretty much a full 3D tales game on DS which was nice at the time.

The tales game on the vita that released in 2014 wasn't too hot either.

Zestiria is probably the worst Tales of game I've ever played except maybe Symphonia 2. The character fusion gimmick is just awful, it makes battles boring as you pretty much really only have 2 characters most of the time and it also messes up the balance. Sorey is also the worst protagonist in a series with some really bad protagonists, looking you you, Luke!

It does have some nice towns and the elemental dungeons were fun at least, great music in those too.

I would give the worst title to Destiny 2 or Dawn Of The New World from the ones I have played, Sorey is not as bad as Emil or Asbel, Emil hands down for me was the worst, but hey it is a big series and everyone will have different opinions.

Etrian Odyssey V is coming out on the 17th of October in North America and the 3rd of November in Europe.

Also the remaster of Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen is coming out on the 3rd of October.

Etrian Odyssey V is coming out on the 17th of October in North America and the 3rd of November in Europe.

Also the remaster of Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen is coming out on the 3rd of October.

All over Dragon's Dogma. Can't wait.

I would give the worst title to Destiny 2 or Dawn Of The New World from the ones I have played, Sorey is not as bad as Emil or Asbel, Emil hands down for me was the worst, but hey it is a big series and everyone will have different opinions.

I'd definitely agree with you on Destiny 2 and DotNW being down there. Really weird when they're sequels to two of the best games in the series too. I really disliked Luke from Abyss for being whiny but Sorey is just an actual scumbag. A creep who manipulates a girls feelings for him to get her to murder people for him so he can keep his hands clean and be "pure"

It does form an interesting contrast between Zestiria and Berseria though, the Berseria cast come off as bad guys at a surface level but deep down they're good, Zestiria's cast act nice and polite but they're all manipulative users behind it all

Past the Miriam Stilshrine in FF12 and the game has opened up big time. Also my class choices are really coming together now. The Zodiac job system really changes things up massive and makes it a much, much better game. No more walking around in circles to get MP back up, I'm actually really enjoying the game unlike the first time I played it.

A tonne of new hunts have opened up so could be next week before I get to continue the story. I'm enjoying the combat a lot more now as it makes more sense without everyone having every ability so I think I'm going to go for the post game super bosses on this run. I hope it's not as awful as the FFX post game borefest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Hopefully it comes to the PC, as i'd love to give it a go again.

Pretty sure it's a shoe in for a PC release. I've just always wanted to give it another go as I hated it on my first playthrough but figured I was playing it wrong since I enjoyed the Xenoblade games so much. The job system makes the game way more interesting.

Now when are they going to announce FF15 for PC :/

I got FFXV a while back when there was a price error on PSN, think they had it at 80% off by accident. Still haven't gotten around to playing it yet, have heard mixed things. As long as it's reasonably fun to play I'll forgive whatever story issues it might have.

Still think I'll wait for a PC version. I'd say it will improve on it significantly.

I sunk a good few hours into Disgaea 5 over the weekend. Still going through the story but think I've access to basically all the various systems now so it feels like it's opened up a good bit. It really is great fun, can't wait to hit the post-game. Little bit grindy has to be said.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Don't mind me, just popping in to say FFXV is an ungodly mess of a game where the cool features and entertaining quirks are outweighed by long stretches of tedium and terribly ill-judged design choices. A PC version will not fix it, because mechanically & artistically it's broken.

I sunk a good few hours into Disgaea 5 over the weekend. Still going through the story but think I've access to basically all the various systems now so it feels like it's opened up a good bit. It really is great fun, can't wait to hit the post-game. Little bit grindy has to be said.

The series is a bit notorious for grinding, if you are finding the a bit grindy now the post game ramps it right up, you could easily put another 100 hours into it, it is more bearable though than some previous entries.

Don't mind me, just popping in to say FFXV is an ungodly mess of a game where the cool features and entertaining quirks are outweighed by long stretches of tedium and terribly ill-judged design choices. A PC version will not fix it, because mechanically & artistically it's broken.

I kind of like my messy interesting JRPGs though. Squaresoft made dozens of them in the PS1 era so playing another weird mess of a game is not something I'd avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

I kind of like my messy interesting JRPGs though. Squaresoft made dozens of them in the PS1 era so playing another weird mess of a game is not something I'd avoid.

Thats just it, they have this big world with fxxk all apart from fetch quests and the main story. The spawn rate of enemies in places at night are worse than FFIX at its worst.

Literally fight Iron Giant walk back to car, drive 3m before being forced out by Imperials. Kill enemies walk back to car drive 100m encounter Iron Giant, repeat cycle.

And this happens within metres of arriving at a settlement.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah it's not interesting. The photography stuff, expensive spectacle and banter will keep you entertained for an hour or two, but when you get into the open world full of fetch quests, endless journeys (they literally reward you more for sitting through tedious automated car journeys), incredibly irritating enemy spawns that destroy any interest in poking around the world, the same sort of half-baked yet annoyingly convoluted systems seen in many attempts to 'modernise' JRPG combat, not to mention the worst levelling up system I've encountered in years... A few 'interesting' quirks do not remotely justify the time investment it asks.

Advertisement