Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2018/02/27/chrono-trigger-gets-surprise-steam-release.aspx

Chrono Trigger got released on steam today, never played it, worth playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2018/02/27/chrono-trigger-gets-surprise-steam-release.aspx

Worth playing, but not the steam version. Square just did another lazy port of the mobile version.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

lazy port of the mobile version.

Ewww mobile port.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

FFS SEGA, give me a release date already! I need to grind up the disc and snort it, or dilute it down and run a VC4 IV-drip!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Bandai Namco are going to announce a Record of Grancrest War game next week, it was created by Ryo Mizuno the same man behind Record of Lodoss War, looks like it Aquria, the studio behind most of the Sword Art Online games will be handling it.

The anime adaption is a mess, but the source material is meant to be decent.

• Advertisement

Got stuck back into ff15 over the weekend after abandoning it a year ago, I enjoying it waaayy more this time around, just onto chapter 5.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Released on the PC tomorrow as well, so looking forward to picking it up at the end of the month.

Kiith wrote: »
    Released on the PC tomorrow as well, so looking forward to picking it up at the end of the month.

Is all the DLC included?

Is all the DLC included?

Believe so, its the Royal Edition being released on PC.

Believe so, its the Royal Edition being released on PC.

Is the DLC any good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Think the DS port is probably the best version of it - the translation is much better than the SNES and there's extra content.

Record Of Grancrest War trailer, it is getting a PS4/PC release in the summer, no word on a western release yet but it should get one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Think the DS port is probably the best version of it - the translation is much better than the SNES and there's extra content.

Nope, SNES version is the better. Translation is on par with the DS version and the DS extra content is kind of terrible.

Saying that, the DS version is a fantastic conversion and if you don't want to shell out a fortune to play the SNES version it's a great way to play it, it's very close. They put a lot of effort into and made it as close as possible to the SNES. The music is the most impressive aspect as it's very hard to emulate SNES music but it's near perfect on DS.

I wish the DS version was the one ported :( The mobile ports are so lazy. The per tile filtering is garbage and makes all the tile edges stand out. It's the exact same on the FF5 and 6 ports. They could have either applied a post processing filter to the entire image or not bothered with filtering as it looks awful but they put in a lazy solution that makes everything look worse.

My favourite rpg. Not sure which version is best at this stage. I'd emulate the snes version personally.

Is FFXV any use? I haven't touched a FF game since IX. The art style has never done anything for me.

Is FFXV any use? I haven't touched a FF game since IX. The art style has never done anything for me.

I love it personally but a lot of people hate because of the open world and repetitive side quests, I love the combat, its fun and fast moving.

Not sure about the new Royal Edition which adds some new content plus all the previously released dlc but I was disappointed with the base game myself.

The story towards the end was a mess and the world map is largely empty space. Combat was interesting, but frustrating in the end game dungeons especially when you come across enemies that resist physical damage due to the magic system being poor(creating magic grenades that took a lot of resources to craft high level spells).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

There's an 80gb texture pack if you want to melt your computer :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Nope, SNES version is the better. Translation is on par with the DS version and the DS extra content is kind of terrible.

Why is the SNES version better than the DS?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's kind of a fascinating mess. Hard to recommend as it's quite polarising.

Pac1Man wrote: »

Why is the SNES version better than the DS?

Music and sound effrcts are negligibly better.

Negligibly better resolution.

DS extras are awful. Cutscenes don't add anything.

Basically DS version is so good you might as well play that. SNES version is better but it's by such a small margin it doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

FFXV is a 9/10 Bros on a road trip game and a 4/10 epic fantasy game about summons and war

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Started replaying VC1 in the run up to VC4. Using the rebalance mod on PC...and man is it hard! Snipers reaction fire is crippling me, constant bullets flying into spawn and any time I step out of cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Sieghardt wrote: »
    FFXV is a 9/10 Bros on a road trip game
    Jojos Bizarre Adventure the game :pac:

The valkyrie profile news is a port of the original to smart phones....

The valkyrie profile news is a port of the original to smart phones....

Which will then be horrendously ported to pc :pac:

Ys: Memories of Celceta will be getting a PC release later this year, HYDE, Inc will be handling the port.

Valkyria Chronicles 4 is coming out on the on the 16th of October, hopefully it is not the same month as Fire Emblems console return, Sega might regret this mistake with Yakuza 6.

• Advertisement

Just finished ch 13 of FF XV, I think I understand whats going on but its messy tbh, not sure what to make of the story, the battle system is great though, I can FF7 remake using that system.

Bit pissed off that the royal edition has extra story content outside of the DLC's?

Xenji wrote: »
    Valkyria Chronicles 4 is coming out on the on the 16th of October, hopefully it is not the same month as Fire Emblems console return, Sega might regret this mistake with Yakuza 6.

Trophy list here, its out in Japan this week.

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/7399-valkyria-chronicles-4

Advertisement