Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I've been playing a lot of Xenoblade 2 recently and the game is bloody ruined by the RNG stuff imo. There's a lot of good content but the game just does not respect your time. You need RNJesus to help you acquire nearly all rare (i.e. powerful) blades, that they'll level up certain skills on merc missions, that vendors will have certain items for sale, that the weather is a certain way for you to get certain items once you get those vendor items, etc. It really is just nonsense and makes me resent the game a little tbh, as much as I'm enjoying everything else about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kat Bailey wasn't that impressed. Said it was better than she expected but expected it to be awful. Sounds like it's got issues a lot of which it has to do with boring side quests and how they are mandatory for finishing the game.

It's reviewing really well, have too big a backlog and not enough time/money to pick it up at the moment but will definitely get it in the future. Really enjoyed the first game and by all accounts this one is better.

I also keep forgetting it's on PC as well which blows my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

85 on Metacritic, pretty good.

Seems the game is only about 30-35 hours long too, which is sort of relieving in a weird way, every RPG and OWG seems to be a 100 hour commitment these days.

I started Xenoblade 2 which is hard to get into so far considering the last JRPG I played was Persona 5 (and the last game I played was BOTW!) and it feels so unpolished in comparison, but I might get this and play it instead for now because apparently it's A) better and B) only half as long.

• Advertisement

Cina wrote: »
    85 on Metacritic, pretty good.

Seems the game is only about 30-35 hours long too, which is sort of relieving in a weird way, every RPG and OWG seems to be a 100 hour commitment these days.

I started Xenoblade 2 which is hard to get into so far considering the last JRPG I played was Persona 5 (and the last game I played was BOTW!) and it feels so unpolished in comparison, but I might get this and play it instead for now because apparently it's A) better and B) only half as long.

Well as I posted above, I'm playing XC2 at the moment, I've about 75 hours played, and it feels like you could keep going forever, soon enough I'm going to have to just mainline the story or else I'll stop playing altogether. And the RPG I played before that was also Persona 5 which was another 80 hours or whatever. So yes the 35 hour mark sounds great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Most of the complaints with Ni no Kuni seem to be the usual problems with Level-5 RPG's. Its a shame, Dark Chronicle was probably one of my favourite PS2 games but since then it feels like every rpg they've made since then has been painfully mediocre. I haven't played their more kid focused ones like Yokai Watch though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I looked at a good few reviews for Ni No Kuni yesterday, I am a bit baffled by the high scores as they highlighted multiple issues with the game while only really praising it's aesthetic but still giving it a good score.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Xenji wrote: »
    I looked at a good few reviews for Ni No Kuni yesterday, I am a bit baffled by the high scores as they highlighted multiple issues with the game while only really praising it's aesthetic but still giving it a good score.

Brown paper envelope into the back pocket Xenji ;) :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I was baffled by how well the first scored. It looked great but was a bad game.

Level 5 I feel do great when working as a contractor. I love their dragon quest games but when they do their own ip it never really gels. It's like they need a guiding hand to steer them in the right direction.

Hino's awful writing and story never helps either. Just give up or hire someone competent.

• Advertisement

Some of there games like Fantasy Life could have been genuinely great if they had an ounce of character in the writing.

The teams behind Etrian Odyssey and Danganronpa are teaming up for Zanki Zero, a new dungeon crawling RPG, the hook is that during 13 game days characters age from child to elder with differing stats and boosts, cloning will play a big part of the game as well.

The teams behind Etrian Odyssey and Danganronpa are teaming up for Zanki Zero, a new dungeon crawling RPG, the hook is that during 13 game days characters age from child to elder with differing stats and boosts, cloning will play a big part of the game as well.

Do you know what staff from EO are on it? I knew about the game but hadn't heard anything EO staff being on it.

megaten wrote: »
    Do you know what staff from EO are on it? I knew about the game but hadn't heard anything EO staff being on it.

Famitsu had an interview with members of Studio Lancarse talking about the game, I don't know the names though.

S-E have setup a new internal studio headed by Hajime Tabata.
    Tokyo, Japan (March 27, 2018) – Square Enix Holdings Co., Ltd., today announced a newly established development studio, Luminous Productions Co., Ltd., based in Tokyo, Japan.

Luminous Productions was established with the purpose of developing new AAA titles and bringing innovative game and other entertainment content to a global audience.

Staffed with members of the creative team behind "FINAL FANTASY XV" developed within another Square Enix Group studio, Square Enix Co., Ltd., Luminous Productions further builds on Square Enix Group’s vision to create new intellectual properties alongside our existing studios.

More information regarding Luminous Productions’s new projects will be revealed at a later date.

Their main job will be rescuing Tetsuya Nomura disaster projects.

Fair play to Tabata. Him and his team have a reputation now of making great games and also just plain old getting **** done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Release date has been announced for the PS4 and PC versions of Dragon Quest XI, September 4th.

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2018/03/28/dragon-quest-xi-gets-a-ps4-release-date/

The UI has a big overhaul for the Western release over the original Japanese version btw.

Shame they couldn't sort out a orchestrated soundtrack for the western release. Still looking forward to it though.

Chrono Trigger is getting a patch later this month on Steam allowing you to use the original graphics.

Chrono Trigger is getting a patch later this month on Steam allowing you to use the original graphics.

Do you know if this includes the background art as well as sprites? It doesn't seem very clear.

• Advertisement

Hopefully it gets rid of the garbage filtering as well. If they fix CT hopefully they go back and fix FF5 and 6 as well which have the same filtering issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Sad news, he was made games from the golden era of Jrpg's.

Don't know if Blue Reflection was mentioned in this thread or elsewhere, but its gotten a price drop on Base to £16.
    Probably not my kind of game but its sure to appeal to a few here
    https://www.base.com/buy/product/blue-reflection-ps4/dgc-bluerps4.htm?1=1&awc=2694_1523024578_2bfe2d74c6c1753f388810cb0290dc8c

Etrian Odyssey X announcement, coming out August 2nd in Japan.

At least 19 classes are in the game:
    Protector (EO1)
    Medic (EO1)
    Survivalist (EO1)
    Ronin (EO1)
    War Magus (EO2)
    Gunner (EO2)
    Prince/Princess/Sovereign (EO3)
    Zodiac (EO3)
    Shogun (EO3)
    Farmer (EO3)
    Landsknecht (EO4)
    Nightseeker (EO4)
    Arcanist (EO4)
    Imperial (EO4)
    Highlander (EO1U)
    Pugilist (EO5)
    Harbinger (EO5)
    Hero (New)
    Four difficulty settings: Picnic, Basic, Expert, and Heroic
    The character creator from V returns, and you can use it on the portraits from the older games.
    There's a mix of old and new enemies. The old ones shown so far have all been from Etrian III, none of which have had 3D models until this point.
    There's voice acting for the characters and NPCs
    NPCs from previous games return
    Game looks like it uses the Force Boost/Break system from Etrian 2 Untold
    The game uses an overworld map, similar to Chrono Trigger
    DLC will be available for class portraits by guest illustrators. Those are Shigatake, Yuki Takahata, Shigenori Soejima (Persona), Mota (7th Dragon), and Shirow Miwa (7th Dragon 2020)
    Game uses updated menu design from Etrian V

Etrian Odyssey X announcement, coming out August 2nd in Japan.

Was hoping for a switch announcement :o

Took long enough!

Spotted Ys Origin on the Xbox store, worth a look? Not familiar with the series at all.

• Advertisement

Spotted Ys Origin on the Xbox store, worth a look? Not familiar with the series at all.

I would take a chance with it, fun games, action, hack and slash.

Advertisement