Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Spotted Ys Origin on the Xbox store, worth a look? Not familiar with the series at all.

Meant to be one of the best in the series so go for it. Ys are some of the best action RPGs ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Ended up buying Blue Reflection despite my initial reservations. At the start it seemed very tepid but once I accepted it was a gust games with a magical girl skin of paint instead of the magical girl game I wanted I've been enjoying it a good bit. Stuff like the soundtrack and crisp UI make it really relaxing. The characters are a bit stiff though which is disappointing since the last gust game I played was probably Atelier Rorona which had great characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Anyone playing Alliance Alive on 3DS? Keep hearing it mentioned in the same breath as Suikoden.

Anyone playing Alliance Alive on 3DS? Keep hearing it mentioned in the same breath as Suikoden.

I wasn't paying attention to at all but it seems to be getting a lot of good buzz. (or as much as a late 3DS game can.)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It is meant to be a small improvement over The Legend of Legacy which I found a bit mediocre, the story and characters seem very generic again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

New Sakura Wars game announced, maybe it'll even be localized this time

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

megaten wrote: »
    Ended up buying Blue Reflection despite my initial reservations. At the start it seemed very tepid but once I accepted it was a gust games with a magical girl skin of paint instead of the magical girl game I wanted I've been enjoying it a good bit. Stuff like the soundtrack and crisp UI make it really relaxing. The characters are a bit stiff though which is disappointing since the last gust game I played was probably Atelier Rorona which had great characters.

It's almost up there with Persona in terms of UI slickness but I haven't gone back to it in a long time. The girls just seem a bit one dimensional. Thought it would be more like Sailor Moon/Card capture with girls with loads if personality, crushes and loads of comedy but it takes itself way too seriously and it's like nothing happens outside of school. Also there's really only 4 dungeons in the game which kind of grated. There's a good game in there but it needed a bigger budget and more 90's anime than ****ty modern anime.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's almost up there with Persona in terms of UI slickness but I haven't gone back to it in a long time. The girls just seem a bit one dimensional. Thought it would be more like Sailor Moon/Card capture with girls with loads if personality, crushes and loads of comedy but it takes itself way too seriously and it's like nothing happens outside of school. Also there's really only 4 dungeons in the game which kind of grated. There's a good game in there but it needed a bigger budget and more 90's anime than ****ty modern anime.

Magical Girls is defiantly an untapped theme for RPG but I don't know if well developed characters is exclusive to any decade. I think I was looking for something that leaned heavier on the melodrama than Blue Reflection which has a much more peaceful atmosphere even in dungeons. As you said I think the ideal magical girl RPG is probably both out of budget and beyond the skill level of any developer that would actually try to attempt it.

Well I wouldn't mind some Puella Madoka levels are insanity and darkness but what I really want is the mix that the best 90's magical girl animes had. They just had the perfect levels of fun, where the monster of the week was secondary to the girls personalities. I actually find Sailor Moon rather well written, the relationships between friends are quite realistic, in particular Rei.

As it stands Blue Reflection characters are kind of Sword Art Online levels of one dimensionality. I really wish Gust got the budget to expand the game more, it's obviously a labour of love as they lavished care and attention on what little assets they have in the game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Well I wouldn't mind some Puella Madoka levels are insanity and darkness but what I really want is the mix that the best 90's magical girl animes had. They just had the perfect levels of fun, where the monster of the week was secondary to the girls personalities. I actually find Sailor Moon rather well written, the relationships between friends are quite realistic, in particular Rei.

As it stands Blue Reflection characters are kind of Sword Art Online levels of one dimensionality. I really wish Gust got the budget to expand the game more, it's obviously a labour of love as they lavished care and attention on what little assets they have in the game.

Mana Khemia does possibly the best gradual transition from cute fluffy anime to incredibly dark serious story ever, shame they couldnt replicate that here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Preorders are now open for Little Witch Academia, you get a preorder mini game featuring the Grand Charion mecha from the anime.

Price is €50 on PSN and is out on May 15th.

My only worry is that the developer is Bandai Namco, the internal development team is well versed in pumping out licensed anime garbage.

I'm not expecting much. I haven't been impressed by anything LWA related except for the original OVA.

My only worry is that the developer is Bandai Namco, the internal development team is well versed in pumping out licensed anime garbage.

Could be worse could be their My Hero Academia game where similarly to the Koei Attack on Titan games, called A.O.T and A.O.T 2 here, they aren't allowed to use the actual name of the series. They are calling the game My Hero Ones Justice :pac:

megaten wrote: »
    I'm not expecting much. I haven't been impressed by anything LWA related except for the original OVA.

So I'm not crazy!

Adored the original OVA and watched some of the TV show wondering why the hell I didn't love it as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Sleeping Sucy was the only episode I really enjoyed, contentious but for me it topped the OVA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Preorders are now open for Little Witch Academia, you get a preorder mini game featuring the Grand Charion mecha from the anime.

Price is €50 on PSN and is out on May 15th.
    Is it getting a physical release too?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Not in the west I don't think.

• Advertisement

It is not.

It is not.
    That's a pity, art book would have been cool for it as a pre ordee thing.

So I'm not crazy!

Adored the original OVA and watched some of the TV show wondering why the hell I didn't love it as much.

The TV show had some good themes but the pacing was very poor and a lot of the single episode stories were quite weak. I think they really struggled to expand on a premise that was only intended to be seen for 25~mins

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

More Octopath news, the Hunter and Thief.

Also, 4 disc soundtrack releasing on same day in Japan. Have to say the music is one of the highlights of the game so far so might be a nice purchase.

I hope it's good. Demo was so full of dialogue I quit it in boredom before I did any combat.

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    More Octopath news, the Hunter and Thief.

Also, 4 disc soundtrack releasing on same day in Japan. Have to say the music is one of the highlights of the game so far so might be a nice purchase.

Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Interesting video on when Eidos Montreal pitched their Final Fantasy idea to owners Square Enix.

Playing xenoblade chronicles 2, must say I'm really loving it, any chance of chronicles x coming to switch do ye think? I'm dieing to play it but can't justify a wii u just for that.

There's been rumours. I'd put money on a release. X is a bit different. Very little story and what is there is crap but exploring the world is so much fun.

• Advertisement

Is there no physical release for Strange Journey in the EU?

Advertisement