Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Bring back XSeed. They seem to at least care about the games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Great news!

https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/06/19/valkyria-chronicles-4-launching-on-switch-playstation-4-pc-and-xbox-one-on-september-25

Valkyria Chronicles 4 Launching On Switch, PlayStation 4, PC, And Xbox One On September 25

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

No it is bad news with Code Vein, Fist Of The North Star, Dragon Quest 11, Yakuza Kiwami 2 and now Valkyria 4 all being released in basically the same month, strangely 3 of them are Sega titles and you think they would know better, but my poor bank account!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Oh wait its out on PC the same day....whoo! Thought it was going to be released later as was no mention in most articles on the release date.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Xenji wrote:
    107315494 but my poor bank account!

Poor Xenji.........

*plays the worlds smallest violin just for Xenji*

:pac: :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Xenji wrote: »
    No it is bad news with Code Vein, Fist Of The North Star, Dragon Quest 11, Yakuza Kiwami 2 and now Valkyria 4 all being released in basically the same month, strangely 3 of them are Sega titles and you think they would know better, but my poor bank account!

Sega and sound business decisions don't mix.

'Let's release Resonance of Fate at the same time as FFXIII and SMT: Strange Journey. Sure it'll be grand'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Fist Of The North Star and Kiwami 2 on the same date is the real head scratcher since they're literally the same type of game by the same developer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

TBH I don't think many people would be into all of those games anyway.
    Plus it's not like the old days when they had to rely on purely physical sales; having all titles available same day is fine.
    If they're good, they'll keep selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Anyone played Lost Sphear? It's half-price on Switch this week. Didn't like I Am Setsuna and this looks like more of the same.

STAR OCEAN™ - THE LAST HOPE worth a look?

• Advertisement

STAR OCEAN™ - THE LAST HOPE worth a look?

Well it is far better than Integrity and Faithlessness so it has that going for it, the real problem were the cut scenes, honestly one goes on for about 50 minutes at the end of the game, for a game that can be done in about 55 hours, 8 hours of that is spent on cut scenes, some people like that and others do not.

In my opinion the story is awful, even more so compared to Till the End of Time whether you liked the twist or not, the characters are mostly unlikable and annoying, but the combat is good and graphically if you are going for the remaster it does look decent, also be thankful that the Japanese audio came with it, the
    English voice acting was one of the worst S-E put out.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭blackwave

Got trails in the sky 2 on the steam sale should keep me occupied for a while anyway.

blackwave wrote: »
    Got trails in the sky 2 on the steam sale should keep me occupied for a while anyway.

I'd be interested in hearing your final play time when you done now that the game has a turbo mode. Mine's clocked at 77 hours and I think the turbo update came out when I was on the final chapter.

megaten wrote: »
    I'd be interested in hearing your final play time when you done now that the game has a turbo mode. Mine's clocked at 77 hours and I think the turbo update came out when I was on the final chapter.

What's turbo mode? and was the 77 hours for one play through?

What's turbo mode? and was the 77 hours for one play through?

Turbo mode just boosts the speed of everything except the music. 77 hours is steams count. The ingame clock is probably shorter but its still pretty long. (For reference steam says I have 50 hours for FC)

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭blackwave

megaten wrote: »

I am usually slow enough going through RPGs lately so give me a few months still have to go through the first one first

Playing zodiac age atm and I must say I'm enjoying it alot more this time around than when I played it way back in 2007, I remember I got stuck on the first death wall and didn't realise you could skip it and move on to the next one,which is a piece of cake compared to the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,788 ✭✭✭Evade

Playing zodiac age atm and I must say I'm enjoying it alot more this time around than when I played it way back in 2007, I remember I got stuck on the first death wall and didn't realise you could skip it and move on to the next one,which is a piece of cake compared to the first.
    I finished Zodiac Age the other day, it's ridiculously easy compared to the original. At first I thought it was the job system making everyone more focused that did it but then I read they scaled back the difficulty for some reason. Apart from overlevelled hunts and optional bosses there's almost no risk of losing a fight.

Evade wrote: »
    I finished Zodiac Age the other day, it's ridiculously easy compared to the original. At first I thought it was the job system making everyone more focused that did it but then I read they scaled back the difficulty for some reason. Apart from overlevelled hunts and optional bosses there's almost no risk of losing a fight.

One or two bosses caused me hassle alright but only had to restart once because of a boss fight and that was the first death wall and then I ran from that,
    Mateus
    caused me a bit of hassle last night but once I figured out
    using thunder on the minions kills them fast
    it was easy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,788 ✭✭✭Evade

One or two bosses caused me hassle alright but only had to restart once because of a boss fight and that was the first death wall and then I ran from that,
    Mateus
    caused me a bit of hassle last night but once I figured out
    using thunder on the minions kills them fast
    it was easy enough.
    I didn't have black magic until I picked the second round of licences and just melted everything with Vaan (Bushi), Basch (Knight), and Ashe (Uhlan) I even beat the first Demon Wall after a few tries thanks to Vossler's Expose technik.

• Advertisement

Do ye think Shining force will be any good?

I hold out no hope for it. Since Camelot left the series after Sega screwed them over with SF3 the series has been a dumpster fire. It's so far removed now from the original series that it's unrecognisable and it's Idea Factory levels of budget anime game nonsense now.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I hold out no hope for it. Since Camelot left the series after Sega screwed them over with SF3 the series has been a dumpster fire. It's so far removed now from the original series that it's unrecognisable and it's Idea Factory levels of budget anime game nonsense now.

I'll wait for reviews then,Just octopath next week then maybe.

I'll wait for reviews then,Just octopath next week then maybe.

I'm expecting Octopath to get mixed reviews. You'll get high reviews from the usual clueless gob****es at the likes of easy aliies that were proclaiming good looking garbage like the two ni no kuni games as the second coming of Christ.

Initial impressions from the JRPG reviewers I trust have been quite poor. Kat Bailey was saying the battle system is excruciating. Battles take forever initially until you learn the tactics required and even when you do learn the systems normal encounters can take 5 to 10 minutes to complete which is absolute insanity. Heard similar stuff from the 1up/retronauts alumni.

I'll be waiting on reviews for it as well.

Octopath seemed to me to be more style over substance when I played the demo, the fact that it looks like the team is mainly made up of Acquire staff more than S-E staff does not bode well either, they have made one good game in 18 years and that was Tenchu 2 back in 2000.

They've done some decent wizardry style games but this looks really out of their comfort zone. Apparently it's an Acquire game with a supervisor from SE. I couldn't finish any of the demos. I just got bored and went to play something else. The combat was poor but there was also too much boring dialogue.

Tried the demo on my switch and it didn't seem that interesting, not rpg's have good demos unless its just the first part of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

I have some small foolish hope that Resonance is just a crappy release before a return to the true quality of the original series, like Valkyria Revolution was before Valkyria 4

Since they did such a good job with Valkyria 4 AND announced a new Sakura Wars, I have to feel like there's some hope of at least going back to the original SRPG formula.

With how popular utter **** anime is today and the fact that camelot will never be involved again I wouldn't hold out too much hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

:rolleyes: Anime is as good as it ever was, people have been trotting out that nonsense since the 90s, all people do is complain that whatever is currently popular is RUINING ANIME. For while it was mecha, then hyper violence, then monster catching during the pokemon/digimon wars, up until recently it was moe but now it's mainily complaining about isekai

Advertisement