Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Oh there is good anime. Made in Abyss is as good as anything made. But that light novel crap with the personality free insert yourself here protagonist Mary sue stuff is probably worse than even moe. I see it in a lot of games now. It's totally at odds with the cute 90s anime style of the originals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

piucked up .hack gu last recode today dowen to 24 euro or so

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

piucked up .hack gu last recode today dowen to 24 euro or so

How is it? I enjoyed the first .hack games that got a European release on the PS2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

I'd be interested in hearing what its liked too. Played the first two in the original quadriliogy and liked the franchise in general when it was younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Oh there is good anime. Made in Abyss is as good as anything made. But that light novel crap with the personality free insert yourself here protagonist Mary sue stuff is probably worse than even moe. I see it in a lot of games now. It's totally at odds with the cute 90s anime style of the originals.

There's always been bad stuff, there will always be bad stuff and some of the bad stuff will always be popular. I dont blame people for either forgetting stuff like Inuyasha or blocking it from their memories but you eventually have to accept that some things are just babby's first anime and hope they'll check out some cooler stuff thereafter.

The Shining Series has never really had a fixed art style, 1 was very much Tamaki's own style, if you ever want to see another game like that, check out FEDA: Emblem of Justice, the secret Shining Force most people dont know about. 2 was a bit more standard anime but cute, 3 was more towards high fantasy art. I dont think it needs a specific art style, just needs to be true to the universe.

The problem is they got Tony Taka, whose art is devoid of soul and character, he cant draw anything fantasy so they pretty much eliminated all fantasy races except elves from the games :/ Like geez, centaur waifus are even kind of a thing in anime these days and he'll still churn out the same cast of all human or guman with different ears cast.

My real hope is that the ex-careersoft staff, who worked on Langrisser & Growlanser series, who were with Atlus and made the excellent Devil Survivor games and are therefore part of SEGA now, get to take a stab at it
    How is it? I enjoyed the first .hack games that got a European release on the PS2.
    megaten wrote: »
    I'd be interested in hearing what its liked too. Played the first two in the original quadriliogy and liked the franchise in general when it was younger.

Gameplay is better, story isnt as good. .hack in general is kind of an all in or nothing franchise imo, if you want to properly enjoy it you need to play all the games and watch all the anime to get answers to even half the mysteries going on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Will update once I get more hours banged into it

The Atelier Arland Trilogy has been annoyed for PS4 and Switch in Japan. Hopefully it comes west since I only ever got round to playing Rorona despite owning all three.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Totori is a gem even if the time limit is harsh while Meruru is just heaps of fun. If you liked Rorona they are much better.

Rorona Plus is considerably better than Meruru I'd say. It'd be cool if you could play through the 3 games THEN unlock Rorona's extra chapter but I'm assuming these are just straight ports

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Going to pick them up for the Switch if they come west, great games to relax in bed with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Anyone played Shining Resonance: Refrain yet? I was thinking of picking it up but the reviews iv'e seen are so-so.

Code Vein has been pushed back till 2019, I say it will come out in January/February so as not to get lost in the September/October crowd of game coming out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Xenji wrote: »
    Code Vein has been pushed back till 2019, I say it will come out in January/February so as not to get lost in the September/October crowd of game coming out.

I could hear your sigh of relief all the way down here in Cork xenji :pac: :D.

That's good news in my book. I thought it looked pretty bad when it was announced but it's been looking better and better every time it's shown, if they keep improving it, it might end up being pretty great

Sega are announcing a new Phantasy Star for the series 30th anniversary
    but it's a mobile game :(

https://30th-anniversary-phantasystar.sega.jp/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Sieghardt wrote: »
    Sega are announcing a new Phantasy Star for the series 30th anniversary
    but it's a mobile game :(

https://30th-anniversary-phantasystar.sega.jp/

Jesus christ, would they ever **** off with their mobile games :mad:

Ys: Memories of Celceta is releasing on Wednesday for steam and GOG.

If the pc port isn't up to scratch,no doubt retro will make heads roll :D :pac:.

If it's XSeed it will be great.

If it's NISA I'll give it a year before the community fix the game before I play it :)

Nearly done with Trails in the Sky the 3rd. Just two or three doors left and the final dungeon. Really enjoyable for what's essentially gigantic epilogue. Debating if I'll go into the Cold Steel games or wait for the translation of the first psp kiseki game to come out.

• Advertisement

Tales of Berseria is part of the humble monthly. It starts off so weak but gets good after an hour. I haven't played a jRPG in almost a decade. I'm enjoying it. Although I can't help but cringe at the outfits that the girls are wearing.

The World Ends With You - Final Remix- is coming West on the 12th of October, hopefully it does not get lost in the shuffle, it did not do great numbers when it was first released, still probably my favorite game on the DS.

The World Ends With You - Final Remix- is coming West on the 12th of October, hopefully it does not get lost in the shuffle, it did not do great numbers when it was first released, still probably my favorite game on the DS.

Sell it to us Xenji! what's so good about it?

:pac: :D

Sell it to us Xenji! what's so good about it?

:pac: :D

It will probably not seem as inventive now, but when it first came out it used nearly every feature that the DS had to offer, it also had unique battle mechanics that worked and a city that felt alive, the visuals were probably the best on the DS at the time also.

It was a game that just felt fresh and interesting, something very different from what was around at the time, Nomura threw so much stuff into the game that was never done before and I am surprised how much of it actually worked, Takeharu Ishimoto's soundtrack is probably my favorite from any handheld game.

The way time works in the game, its overall difficulty and having to follow trends might be a turn off for people though, it involves a bit of micro management as the game is a lot deeper then it first looks, but you can set your own difficulty on the fly, but experience and loot also scales with it.

The story is solid with a good slow burning mystery about it and the interactions with NPCs are fun, the MC is a bit of a dick but that is the only drawback.

It was a game that just felt fresh and interesting, something very different from what was around at the time, Nomura threw so much stuff into the game that was never done before and I am surprised how much of it actually worked

The game gets credited a lot to Nomura but apart from some character design and some very high level direction he had very little to do with the game. You can easily tell because the game is incredible and not ****e like he normally creates :pac:

It will probably not seem as inventive now, but when it first came out it used nearly every feature that the DS had to offer, it also had unique battle mechanics that worked and a city that felt alive, the visuals were probably the best on the DS at the time also.

It was a game that just felt fresh and interesting, something very different from what was around at the time, Nomura threw so much stuff into the game that was never done before and I am surprised how much of it actually worked, Takeharu Ishimoto's soundtrack is probably my favorite from any handheld game.

The way time works in the game, its overall difficulty and having to follow trends might be a turn off for people though, it involves a bit of micro management as the game is a lot deeper then it first looks, but you can set your own difficulty on the fly, but experience and loot also scales with it.

The story is solid with a good slow burning mystery about it and the interactions with NPCs are fun, the MC is a bit of a dick but that is the only drawback.

Sold!

:pac:

Demo for Valkyria Chronicles 4 is now available on all platforms

Not PC though :(

TWEWY is an amazing game and one of my favourite RPG's but the price for the switch port is extremely rough. Especially since a lot of the improvements are coming from the iOS/Android port which is half the price.

• Advertisement

Advertisement