Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

I'm planning on playing this at some stage and its worth noting that the PC version has significantly more dialog for the MC and has other QoL features like a turbo mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

megaten wrote: »
    I'm planning on playing this at some stage and its worth noting that the PC version has significantly more dialog for the MC and has other QoL features like a turbo mode.
    Am I really missing out getting the Vita version then? I couldn't say when I'd get a gaming PC

Am I really missing out getting the Vita version then? I couldn't say when I'd get a gaming PC

I think the big improvement are the quality of life features so not necessarily?
    I haven't played it yet so its hard to say but playing the previous trilogy of games the turbo mode was very useful since they're pretty long.
    You shouldn't need a gaming PC for the PC version though. Its a port of a PS3 game so anything with dedicated graphics or even recent integrated graphics will probably be able to play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I think the big improvement are the quality of life features so not necessarily?
    I haven't played it yet so its hard to say but playing the previous trilogy of games the turbo mode was very useful since they're pretty long.
    You shouldn't need a gaming PC for the PC version though. Its a port of a PS3 game so anything with dedicated graphics or even recent integrated graphics will probably be able to play it.
    My laptop is 8 years old so I doubt it's be up to much, I might pick it up for Vita then, thanks.
    Glad you got sorted with the PSP Go too

https://twitter.com/AtlusUSA/status/1029721964406038532

Etrian Odyssey X is coming out as Etrian Odyssey Nexus in the west.
    Looking forward to buying another Etiran Odyssey game I'll never finish.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nice. Was getting a little worried it was going to be missed as it looks like the second mystery dungeon spin off will not be localised. Atlus are still making 3DS games, I think they have releases well into 2019.

I wonder how or if the Etrian Odyssey series will progress in the future. It relies heavily on the dual screen format and it's a shame there's no system at the moment that supports that.

I'd imagine it'll be like the auto mapping option in current games where it'll do the walls and floors for you but you still can mark things and take notes. Was the first Etrian mystery dungeon game any good? It looked really appealing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

https://twitter.com/AtlusUSA/status/1029721964406038532

Etrian Odyssey X is coming out as Etrian Odyssey Nexus in the west.
    Looking forward to buying another Etiran Odyssey game I'll never finish.

Pity no switch release...

Pity no switch release...

They're not going debut whatever their solution to single screen Etrian Odyssey is on non-mainline entry.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd imagine it'll be like the auto mapping option in current games where it'll do the walls and floors for you but you still can mark things and take notes. Was the first Etrian mystery dungeon game any good? It looked really appealing.

Didn't play it but it's highly regarded.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

They're not going debut whatever their solution to single screen Etrian Odyssey is on non-mainline entry.

I forgot it uses the two screens of the DS, so wouldn't be a good fit after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Very tempted to buy Etrian Odyssey III on the DS, I don't see us getting an Untold 3. I just want to play an Etrian Odyssey game, and I don't want to buy Untold 2 or V unless they go on sale on the eshop. I can get it for 59.99 gbp on amazon uk.

_Godot_ wrote: »
    Very tempted to buy Etrian Odyssey III on the DS, I don't see us getting an Untold 3. I just want to play an Etrian Odyssey game, and I don't want to buy Untold 2 or V unless they go on sale on the eshop. I can get it for 59.99 gbp on amazon uk.

If you haven't played one before I'm pretty sure IV is like 10 euro on the eshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I would go with IV as well if you have not played one before, it is more accessible for players new to the series

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Sorry, I've played both IV and Untold 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Grandia 1 & 2 HD Remastered coming to Switch

Grandia 1 HD Coming to PC too

Looking forward to giving Grandia another go. Got about 10 hours into it a few years ago but never finished it despite really enjoying.

Sieghardt wrote: »
    Grandia 1 & 2 HD Remastered coming to Switch

Grandia 1 HD Coming to PC too

Amazing news!

Oh, I'll definitely get on this. Had the first one in the ps1 days but never finished it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Still have Grandia 2 for the Dreamcast and what a game it was, inherited my uncles Saturn which took me a long time to appreciate and it was probably my favorite game on the system along with VF2 and SF III.
    Will picking this up for sure, thankfully they have had no awful mobile ports.

• Advertisement

Good excuse to play through Grandia again. It's got an amazing Saturday morning cartoon serial feel to it. I absolutely adored it on PS1 and it helps that the battle system has never been bettered. The sequel is good but not a patch on the first.

Wish they would remaster xtreme and 3 and bring them west, never got to play them.

Xtreme is a dungeon crawler. It's mostly focused on getting through some massive dungeons with a large emphasis on the battle system.

I didn't play much of 3 but the story wasn't good and the characters were awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Xtreme is a dungeon crawler. It's mostly focused on getting through some massive dungeons with a large emphasis on the battle system.

I didn't play much of 3 but the story wasn't good and the characters were awful.

There were good characters in 3, it just takes the good characters away from you. Alonso and Miranda are fantastic fun characters and they make Yuki and Alfina much more fun. Ulf is decent enough too, it's just Dahna and Hect that are absolute voids of personality and kill the banter.

I hope the Grandia 1 port is based on the much better Saturn version. The PS1 version looks a lot uglier with lower res 2D art and some effects like water don't look as good.

Did anyone play Tokyo Xanadu ex+? Does anyone know much about the bonding events and how many you can do in a single playthrough. I was planning on playing on PC and cheating my way into seeing all of them but I don't think my laptop could run it smoothly (its only a 940m) and the PSN version is on sale for 20 quid at the moment.

Did anyone play Tokyo Xanadu ex+? Does anyone know much about the bonding events and how many you can do in a single playthrough. I was planning on playing on PC and cheating my way into seeing all of them but I don't think my laptop could run it smoothly (its only a 940m) and the PSN version is on sale for 20 quid at the moment.

It's a good port and a PS3 game rather than a PS4, and not a very technically demanding one. I'd say you might be ok on requirements. I think sephiroth dude has played through it.

Retr0gamer wrote: »

I still hope they remaster ;) I remember finishing 2 around the time xtreme came out and was annoyed as it never came to Europe but got a NA release.

I think it could be 3 but I'll check my achievement list later on steam, I'm well jealous you're playing it for the first time.

Tried Tokyo Xanadu on my PC last night and it framerate seems too slow regardless of resolution so I think I'll just pick it up for PS4. I think the bonding scenes are just little vignettes so I can always look up the ones I missed on youtube.

• Advertisement

Tried Tokyo Xanadu on my PC last night and it framerate seems too slow regardless of resolution so I think I'll just pick it up for PS4. I think the bonding scenes are just little vignettes so I can always look up the ones I missed on youtube.

I got four unbreakable bonds in one play through.

Advertisement