Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Well, I ordered Etrian Odyssey III, should be here by the 10th September.

I'm looking to pick up a new jrpg for the ps4 and I'm looking at Ys 8 at the moment. Is the translation sorted now or would ye recommend something else? I'm giving some thought to just waiting for Dragon Quest XI also. What do ye lads think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

I'm looking to pick up a new jrpg for the ps4 and I'm looking at Ys 8 at the moment. Is the translation sorted now or would ye recommend something else? I'm giving some thought to just waiting for Dragon Quest XI also. What do ye lads think?

As far as I know the new translation has been applied to the PS4 version. How long to beat has it at around 37 hours though which might be a bit much considering DQ11 isn't actually that far away.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'm playing it atm on the switch, must say I'm really enjoying it and would recommend it, I'm 40 hours and on ch5 so nearing the end.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Square Enix Delisting The Last Remnant from pc, never played it, was it any good?

https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/08/24/square-enix-delisting-the-last-remnant-from-pc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Square Enix Delisting The Last Remnant from pc, never played it, was it any good?

https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/08/24/square-enix-delisting-the-last-remnant-from-pc

Kawazu joint.

Heard the battle system was loads of fun and interesting and heard it's worth a shot.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Kawazu joint.

Heard the battle system was loads of fun and interesting and heard it's worth a shot.

It's only a tenner on steam so I took a shot with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

I thought it suffered from the same problems as everything SaGa related, everything is too random and not skill or strategy based. If you get poisoned, you cant just cure poison, you have to randomly learn a cure poison skill and also hope the character will randomly use it

Only ended up playing a little bit in the end but Tokyo Xanadu seems alright. I'm not sure if Ill be able to finish it depending because I'm finding combat quite tricky despite the enemy attacks well telegraphed. I should have finished up Blue reflection before starting it though since both games seem to involve busywork in a school setting as a core part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭blackwave

Are many getting Dragon Quest on the day of release or are they waiting? I went for the pre-order on the PlayStation store last night. Looking forward to playing it now. Reviews seem to be generally favourable so far.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I would if I wasn't broke this month.

Sounds like it's very close to DQ8. Would have rathered a more open ended party building system like older games but then again it is dragon quest so is bound to be good and full of charm. Not too pushed on how it looks either. Looks very generic CGI but at least the monster art still has bags of charm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I have it ordered but not sure when I will get around to starting it, the main character looks so much like Android 17 though, Toriyama has been getting lazy in the last few years.

Still need to beat 7 on my 3ds which will take me roughly one million years.

blackwave wrote: »
    Are many getting Dragon Quest on the day of release or are they waiting? I went for the pre-order on the PlayStation store last night. Looking forward to playing it now. Reviews seem to be generally favourable so far.

Pre loaded and all set to go.

Have it ordered but it's anyone's guess if it'll show up tomorrow. Suits me anyway as I still have a load of Kiwami 2 to get through.

What are peoples thoughts on it? Might pick it up in argos in the morning it's going for 49.99 there.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I shall have to pass the time with Dragon Quest 8 as I've nothing to play the new Dragon Quest on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

_Godot_ wrote: »
    I shall have to pass the time with Dragon Quest 8 as I've nothing to play the new Dragon Quest on.

Kind of disappointed the 3ds version isn't getting released here.

Same here. The console/PC version has a generic Unreal engine look to it that makes it look like a CGI movie. The 3DS version on the other hand just looks full of charm and it's a far more interesting art style.

What are peoples thoughts on it? Might pick it up in argos in the morning it's going for 49.99 there.

Decent game so far anyway,still early enough in the game though, one annoying thing though is there's no Japanese voiceovers with subs and the English voiceovers are shockingly annoying .

• Advertisement

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles is getting a remaster coming out next year, just a PS4 version announced so far.

Xenji wrote: »
    Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles is getting a remaster coming out next year, just a PS4 version announced so far.

Strange game. Not great in single player and then gets exponentially more fun the more people you play with. Freed from the shackles of the organisation required to get a 4 player game going it should shine, especially in couch co-op where you can rib people about being the 'bucket bitch'.

It is also coming to the Switch now, I reckon that is the path I will go down for it, it will really shine on the Switch, we should see it appear on the delayed Direct.

There was a quick teaser shown for Project Rune at the TGS, it is the first game from Hideo Baba's Studio Istolia which is part of S-E.

Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition is coming out on January 11th, 2019 (PS4, XB1, PC, Switch).

The Last Remnant is getting a digital only remaster on the PS4, although the game is mediocre in nearly every aspect.

The Last Remnant is getting a digital only remaster on the PS4, although the game is mediocre in nearly every aspect.

I've heard PC as well, just focusing on PS4 as it's TGS.

A new studio Too Kyo Games started posting cryptic teasers this week, people thought it was to do with Yoko Taro, but it turns out it is Kazutaka Kodaka (Danganronpa) and Kotaro Uchikoshi (Zero Escape) along with a few other big hitters in the Visual Novel field behind it.

The first games they announced are a Zero Escape x Danganronpa game, a weird looking dark kids game and a collaberation with Spike Chunsoft that is a dark mystery game, plus an original anime with Studio Pierrot .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition is coming out on January 11th, 2019 (PS4, XB1, PC, Switch).

Only had to wait 10 years to play a game I'd tested :pac:

Advertisement