Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Last Remnant HD vid

And Resonance of Fate too

Dunno about LastRem, never got very far into it on 360 before gave up. RoF was great fun (once you figure out what the **** to do in combat!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Hmmmm what about Lost Odyssey.....?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's owned by Microsoft. ... and it's not very good despite what reviews at the time say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Started playing DQ8 on the PS2. I like the look of 11 but want to be sure I can tolerate the turn based combat since I absolutely hate it. Anyway, I'm finding this to be an incredible grind just to beat the first boss. Is this standard fare for DQ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

First boss in that game usually ends in a defeat the first time. But in dq you keep experience when you die so usually dies on the second visit if you don't avoid battle.

It gets easier after that if you use abilities correctly. Also make sure you concentrate on just the one weapon when levelling up with a bit of the non fighting ability. You only really have enough for one weapon through the game.

• Advertisement

I beat him finally so not too bad. One of my party died though so he didn't get any EXP. Is DQ 11 the same style?

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

It took me a few tries to beat a later boss called Trap Box in DQ8. I'm enjoying the game though, and I'm wishing I had a PS4 for DQ11.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Started playing DQ8 on the PS2. I like the look of 11 but want to be sure I can tolerate the turn based combat since I absolutely hate it. Anyway, I'm finding this to be an incredible grind just to beat the first boss. Is this standard fare for DQ?

Kind of? In general you should be able to minimise grinding by using buffs and debuffs. DQ games won't discourage or penalise you from grinding so sometimes it will feel like the only way.

True, DQ is like SMT where buffs and debuffs are essential.

Also the tension mechanic can really help.

A few bosses gave me trouble on my original playthrough but mu current 3DS one I'm having no trouble since I'm using buffs and debuffs a lot.

I also had trouble playing DQ 8 originally but I'd be willing to bet I'd have a much easier time now since I've played a good chunk of the series overall.

• Advertisement

Reached the end of Chapter 3 in Tokyo Xanadu EX+ and starting to get the hang of it. Don't play a lot of action games and finding the controls quite complicated but I'm finally getting to the point where I don't have to constantly chug health potions to beat bosses.

megaten wrote: »
    Kind of? In general you should be able to minimise grinding by using buffs and debuffs. DQ games won't discourage or penalise you from grinding so sometimes it will feel like the only way.

What are these buffs you speak of? I'm not hating the turn based combat as much as I thought, it's pretty quick in this.

I have a boomerang now, should I invest points in that or just stick with adding points to the sword?

Pick one weapon and stick with it. Swords on the hero are probably the most powerful in the end game. Swords also give you metal slash abilities which are great for grinding metal slimes. Also whip with the girl is c'est magnifique, although everything is viable.

You only really have enough points to max out a weapon and the character specific skills (which can give buffs/debuffs) and maybe half another weapon so pick one you like and stick to it

Bit the bullet on DQ11 after 8 hours of DQ7. Looking forward to getting stuck in. I noticed that there are no skill points in this, at least not in the first hour I've played. Is it best to just keep buying better weapons this time?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Nobuo Uematsu has ceased all work due to illness, hope he'll be alright, hes my favorite composer, I'll never forget the first time I heard FF7 music, I was blown away by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Bit the bullet on DQ11 after 8 hours of DQ7. Looking forward to getting stuck in. I noticed that there are no skill points in this, at least not in the first hour I've played. Is it best to just keep buying better weapons this time?

there are skill points, you should get them soon.

I'm 2 hours in myself, can't get over how beautiful the game is!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Nobuo Uematsu has ceased all work due to illness, hope he'll be alright, hes my favorite composer, I'll never forget the first time I heard FF7 music, I was blown away by it.
    I saw on Twitter, same, hoping he'll be okay.
    I was at his Q and A in 2016, he's really nice and funny too, I think he said he never gets a block, always does something productive.

Cina wrote: »
    there are skill points, you should get them soon.

I'm 2 hours in myself, can't get over how beautiful the game is!

I got the skill tree stuff after a while. Yeah it's something else alright. Fantastic stuff. I've decided to finish 8 first since I was digging that a lot.

Anyone played CrossCode? Dunno if I'd consider it a jRPG at all. It's an indy game that graphically emulates the SNES era

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

The PS4 versions of Trails of Cold Steel 1 & 2 are being released here.

https://twitter.com/marvelous_games/status/1046741737509736448?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Anyone played CrossCode? Dunno if I'd consider it a jRPG at all. It's an indy game that graphically emulates the SNES era

I played it, meh I didn't think it was all that great.

Anyone playing Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk? I wasn't planning on getting it for ages yet since I'm in the middle of Persona Q and still have Xenoblade 2 to play on the switch but I keep hearing more and more praise for it. Looks especially interesting because it feels likes its been ages since we've seen a strong RPG from NIS.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

megaten wrote: »
    Anyone playing Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk? I wasn't planning on getting it for ages yet since I'm in the middle of Persona Q and still have Xenoblade 2 to play on the switch but I keep hearing more and more praise for it. Looks especially interesting because it feels likes its been ages since we've seen a strong RPG from NIS.

Picked it up for the Switch, but Fist Of The North Star has my attention at the moment, seems like a good mix of Etrian Odyssey and SMT: Strange Journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm hoping that's a 'hey Nintendo, give us money' kind of plea.

Hopefully, I never got to play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Cross-post, I actually cannot believe it, I was thinking of this game when they hinted a cancelled game would come back but I thought it was too long ago, it was a horror rpg.

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/10/23/level-5s-cancelled-psp-horror-rpg-ushiro-is-alive-and-appears-to-be-headed-to-switch/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Tom & Hatsuu left XSeed today, lowering hopes for Cold Steel 3 & 4 accordingly :(

• Advertisement

Ah crap. Was it over the Sony senran kagura controversy?

He was only just on hg101 discussing it.

Advertisement