Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Ah crap. Was it over the Sony senran kagura controversy?

He was only just on hg101 discussing it.

Tom says no, he was planning this for a long time, though does say fighting the anti-censorship battle was contributing to his burnout.

Hatsuu I dunno, but it seems to haver been a coincidence that they both left, rather than the result of an internal dispute, they say they left on amicable terms.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Sieghardt wrote: »
    lowering hopes for Cold Steel 3 & 4 accordingly :(

Gutted! First no chance of xenoblade x coming to switch and now this............My heart is broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Just saw this, I'm not sure I know anything about it, is it the first Persona?

PlayStation Classic Releasing on December 3, 2018 Includes Revelations: Persona
    https://personacentral.com/playstation-classic-releasing-on-december-3-2018-includes-revelations-persona/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Just saw this, I'm not sure I know anything about it, is it the first Persona?

PlayStation Classic Releasing on December 3, 2018 Includes Revelations: Persona
    https://personacentral.com/playstation-classic-releasing-on-december-3-2018-includes-revelations-persona/

Yeah, that is the first Persona game. Surprised to see it on the list fir the classic.

Yeah, that is the first Persona game. Surprised to see it on the list fir the classic.
    Same here, I'm glad though to see something different, I wasn't too mad on a few of the titles

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The PS1 version of persona was butchered in English. Half the game is missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Ah crap. Was it over the Sony senran kagura controversy?

He was only just on hg101 discussing it.

Sony forced them to remove the Intimacy Mode for all regions, before this most Japanese releases got away with the more ecchi aspects of the games released on Playstation or Vita, but now Sony are censoring games before release, which is quite baffling.

You can still get the uncensored version on the PC and Switch, but other PS games are currently in limbo due do this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So Shin Megami Tensei... If has finally been fan translated after years of work by aeon genesis.

However the news is bitter sweet. Maijin Tensei 2 fan translation is almost complete and will be released in the future but aeon genesis is abandoning work on maijin tensei 1 and all SMT games due to harassment from the SMT community.

Hope the gob****es responsible are happy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Resonance of fate worth a look? I see they released a 4k/HD version.

It's an interesting game once the battle system clicks. Look up how to play it though. The tutorial actually tells you the wrong way to play it.

• Advertisement

It's an interesting game once the battle system clicks. Look up how to play it though. The tutorial actually tells you the wrong way to play it.

I'll add it to the list so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Tabata is gone from S-E and it looks like something more is going on with the company, his new in house studio Luminous Productions managed to make a $33 million loss in less than 6 months.

Out of the 4 planned FFXV DLC releases, only Ardyn will be coming out, with the other 3 all cancelled.

Square Enix need to sort themselves out big time.
    Best of luck to Tabata going out on his own

I wanted that Aranea DLC, was hoping for a Daemon Hunter Iris one at some stage too, oh well, it wouldnt be FFXV if it wasnt a pile of unfulfilled potential

So apparently Kingdom Hearts 3 has gone gold.

Excuse me now while I go to the toilet and try to muster up a **** to give about this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I really hate turn based combat but this Dragon Quest 11 is the tits!

I really hate turn based combat but this Dragon Quest 11 is the tits!

Turn based combat is fantastic when done right. In fact I'd say no real time combat has come close to turn based.

The problem is people equate turn based to the likes if final fantasy where it's actually very weak and not like dragon quest or persona where it's quick and fast yet also tactical.

And then there's Grandia which is a masterclass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

So if I like Dragon Quest might Persona 5 be a worthy buy?

If you like video games Personsa 5 is worth a buy!

But yeah. Combat is similar. You've to take enemies out in a turn or two otherwise the damage and status effects ramp up and it's trouble. It means it's very quick bit always tactical.

Also there's a big emphasis on stat buffs and debuffs in both games. In something like FF they aren't that important whereas they are vital in dq and persona

So if I like Dragon Quest might Persona 5 be a worthy buy?
    I haven't played much DQ but this video might give you an idea of gameplay. Still the beginning of the game really but you can skip the dialogue if you're worried, it's just at the start that has gameplay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭blackwave

Would also give Persona 5 a plus one. It's a great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I 'finished' Dragon Quest the other day and got into the post game a bit, just not sure I have it in me. Is grinding for levels and gear really important to get through the post game stuff?

Not sure about dq11 but hunting metal slimes greatly speeds things up in the other games.

Any super robot fans here? I'm playing V atm on Vita and while it's easy enough going for the Sr points makes it that bit more challenging and it's a lot of fun, some of the cast from
    full metal panic showed up
    and it made very happy as it's one of my favorite animes!

I'm a massive fan of mecha but I prefer the OG games, the banpresto originals are actually my favourite mecha designs

Cool to have FMP in it but there's a full game based on FMP from the same team that came out a little while ago, still need to play that!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Sieghardt wrote: »
    I'm a massive fan of mecha but I prefer the OG games, the banpresto originals are actually my favourite mecha designs

Cool to have FMP in it but there's a full game based on FMP from the same team that came out a little while ago, still need to play that!

Yeah, need to get that too. Btw SRW V is half price on psn in Singapore atm, works out just under €30.

Super robot wars T is releasing next year with English subtitles, I was looking on playasia for physical copy for og but it's out of stock/print.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The Trials series...is Cold Steel a good place to start? I'm slightly laid up for the next few days, and figure i'll get stuck into a big JRPG on the pc. Trials or one of the Tales games probably. Any other good ones over the last few years? Ideally with a good story, as i can handle not so good mechanics for a good story.

Cold Steel is a good place to start. Takes a while to get going.

I'd recommend dragon quest 11 as well.

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    The Trials series...is Cold Steel a good place to start? I'm slightly laid up for the next few days, and figure i'll get stuck into a big JRPG on the pc. Trials or one of the Tales games probably. Any other good ones over the last few years? Ideally with a good story, as i can handle not so good mechanics for a good story.

Vesperia is a good tales game to get into, also cold steel is some game, enjoy, ohh also tokyo xanadu! I think its on sale atm.

Advertisement