Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd skip the Tales games. They're very anime in story and tropey

If you want story then trails is what you should go for.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I might get Vesperia, but it's not out on the PC for another few weeks. I've played Tales of Xillia a few years ago, and enjoyed it for the most part. Haven't played any of the others yet, but Symphonia is supposed to be good, right? Hadn't thought of DQ11. It's gotten good reviews anyway.

The first Trails is only €8 on Steam. Seems to be considered one of the best JRPG's in a long time from some reviews. Might give that a go before Cold Steel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Kiith wrote: »
    I might get Vesperia, but it's not out on the PC for another few weeks. I've played Tales of Xillia a few years ago, and enjoyed it for the most part. Haven't played any of the others yet, but Symphonia is supposed to be good, right? Hadn't thought of DQ11. It's gotten good reviews anyway.

The first Trails is only €8 on Steam. Seems to be considered one of the best JRPG's in a long time from some reviews. Might give that a go before Cold Steel.

Symphonia is one of the best in the series, Berseria was surprisingly good as well after a few misteps in the series, but I would go with Dragon Quest 11 one of my favorite games of the year.

I would play Trails first and then move on to Cold Steel.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Kiith wrote: »

I meant tales of berseria, Symphonia is my favorite tales game, I rate it highly, give tokyo xanadu a look too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

I understand that the first two Trails in cold steel games are designed as a jumping on point for the series in general. Haven't played them but I really enjoyed the trails in the sky games which can also be played with just the mouse.
    One thing to note though is that the games in general are extremely slow paced and your meant to take your time going through them.
    The only reason I got fully into the series is when I had my dominant hand in a sling so a slow paced rpg you can play with just the mouse was perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd skip the Tales games. They're very anime in story and tropey

If you want story then trails is what you should go for.

Trails is just as anime tropey if not moreso

but complaining about tropes is a worthless criticism, tropes arent good or bad, they're just story elements and everything has them

You're essentially saying "The story has story elements"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Sieghardt wrote: »

but complaining about tropes is a worthless criticism, tropes arent good or bad, they're just story elements and everything has them

A perfectly legitimate and often used definition of trope is a “common or overused theme or device”... so saying ‘anime tropes’ does have a slightly negative implication suggesting that you get the same sort of thing in a lot of anime.

Tales games are way worse sorry. Falcom games go off anime tropes too for the characters but the casts benefits from multiple games of characters.

Tales games are in general painfully average, especially post vesperia where it doesn't really feel like Namco don't have any confidence in the franchise anymore.
    There worth giving a chance but I get the 'if you've played one you've played them all' feeling with the franchise.

Only problem with Falcom and anime tropes is they go for whatever's the common elements at the time so at the moment you get light novel adaptation style protagonists which tend to be a bit bland compared to the likes of Estelle from trails in the sky who comes from older shonen tropes and is a bit more aggressive.

I noticed this with Tokyo Xanadu which while I'm enjoying the MC is probably the one of the worst character of the main cast and has very little personality to him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not played cold steel but found trails nicely subverted a few anime tropes. Estelle and Joshua swapped the usual male/female stereotypes of 90s anime.

I find the stories really interesting. There's some great political intrigue and the characters are excellently fleshed out.

Compare that to tales were every game story is nearly the same and the characters just aren't as good. It's the usual stuff you find in churned out bad anime.

Also **** light novels for ruining anime. Bland leads and and stupid otaku transported to a mmo fantasy world can die in a fire. Give me more made in abyss please.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Why is there never a pause in these games?

• Advertisement

They are turn based. Just open the menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Im just poking fun :D

And I'm gullible :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Trails FC literally has a school festival where you go to a haunted old building in the back, a hot springs town, a blonde loli genius, a spiky haired mercenary with a big sword, a tournament arc etc etc

it isnt good because it has less or no tropes, it's good because it fleshes things out better and mixes thing together better to make them less one-note. The exact same tropes can be good or bad depending on how well they're implemented. It's why "high school anime" is insufferable in Valkyria Chronicles 2 but fine in Persona

Persona 5 announcement incoming. I'd put money on it being a switch version with updated extras. Wouldn't be surprised if it comes to ps4 as well.

Hopefully PC as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Persona 5 announcement incoming. I'd put money on it being a switch version with updated extras. Wouldn't be surprised if it comes to ps4 as well.
    Hopefullu PC as well.

Don't make Phil Spencer cry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

The list of worthwhile PS4 exclusives gets less and less as the months go by.

Hopefully it is a Switch announcement for P5 as I'd be more likely to play it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Hopefully PC as well.

Literally was an announcement for a later announcement in March, looks to be PS4 only though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Xenji wrote: »
    Literally was an announcement for a later announcement in March, looks to be PS4 only though.

Ahhh for feck sake!

Wouldn't take much stock of the ps logo. Don't probably paid for that and Nintendo have been doing their own personal hoping up with smash Bros.

Still an announcement of an announcement is ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I'm going to imagine the content of this new version will not be available to be bought like DLC :(
    Not bothered if it doesn't end up on Switch as even though I own the system I'm sick to death of reading comments of: "Is it coming to Switch??" or "Port it to the Switch? " under every game article the last 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,788 ✭✭✭Evade

It's probably not related but the Persona 5 anime has an OVA coming out today with an alternate ending where
    Joker died while Akechi was interrogating him after Sae's palace.

ERG89 wrote: »
    I'm going to imagine the content of this new version will not be available to be bought like DLC :(
    Not bothered if it doesn't end up on Switch as even though I own the system I'm sick to death of reading comments of: "Is it coming to Switch??" or "Port it to the Switch? " under every game article the last 18 months.

Might be if its a pseudo expansion like Persona 3 FES and doesn't alter the main game much.

Only reason I'd be interested in a Switch port would be if they had a mode were you start with maxed social stats or significantly reworked the original and added a female MC like P3P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I'm sick to death of reading comments of: "Is it coming to Switch??" or "Port it to the Switch? " under every game article the last 18 months.

I'm sick of hearing "it would be a great fit for the Switch". Don't know why it grinds my gears so much!

Maybe we're just getting grumpy in our old age?:o

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I'm sick of hearing "it would be a great fit for the Switch". Don't know why it grinds my gears so much!

Maybe we're just getting grumpy in our old age?:o

Grinds my gears too! while I love that I have a choice to play all this games on the switch If I want, some original IP's would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

megaten wrote: »
    significantly reworked the original and added a female MC like P3P
    I would love this, I was sad P4 Golden wasn't with a fem MC, I liked seeing different sides of the characters

Almost done with Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Really enjoy the game when I'm actually playing it, most of the cutscenes are really cringeworthy or boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

How's the new dragon quest? Sitting here looking at it on steam

How's the new dragon quest? Sitting here looking at it on steam

Basically Dragon Quest 8 with a different story. Really enjoyed the little I played of it but decided to stop as I was a good bit through DQ8 and it was so similar.

Being similar to DQ8 isn't a bad thing, that game is fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Anyone picking up the remastered Vesperia or Trails of Cold Steel this month?

Advertisement