Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Bought Ys Memories of Celceta from a friend, do I need to play something begore or...
    Never played Detention is it good?

There all standalone games so no.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I got the Kingdom Harts - HD 1.5 + 2,5 remix. Will the let me know whats happening in the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

There all standalone games so no.
    That's great :) thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Bought Ys Memories of Celceta from a friend, do I need to play something begore or...
    Never played Detention is it good?

Yeah it is a very good, its a survival horror game and not a visual novel, if you are into the genre I would well recommend it, its out on the Switch as well if you need another game for it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Platinum just can't catch a break.

Xenji wrote: »
    Yeah it is a very good, its a survival horror game and not a visual novel, if you are into the genre I would well recommend it, its out on the Switch as well if you need another game for it.
    Definitely will do, I'll try any horror and want to support those kinda titles on Switch too. Thanks for that :)

Besides Nier I have not enjoyed a Platinum game since Bayonetta 2, they have churned out quite a few safe and mediocre games in the interim.

Me and a friend playing FF9 together on Switch, they suggested it, thought it was a cute idea, gonna try keep the same pace so we can chat about it.
    I saw my friend play as a kid so I know how it goes but can't remember what the characters were like, they know absolutely nothing about it.

Me and a friend playing FF9 together on Switch, they suggested it, thought it was a cute idea, gonna try keep the same pace so we can chat about it.
    I saw my friend play as a kid so I know how it goes but can't remember what the characters were like, they know absolutely nothing about it.

Freya is my favorite character <3 in FF9, I'm gonna get that soon.

• Advertisement

Freya is my favorite character <3 in FF9, I'm gonna get that soon.
    Same, I liked Eiko (that her name?) too, just barely remember the story, so nostalgic seeing the cutscenes.

Same, I liked Eiko (that her name?) too, just barely remember the story, so nostalgic seeing the cutscenes.

All I remember of the game is I loved it and I killed the last boss in my first try :D that and vivi annoyed me .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I just remember I was low level and the final boss was a rng nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

About 30 hours into Ys VIII now, and wow, what a great game. A surprisingly great game. I mean, sure, it suffers from the usual dodgy graphics and poor localization you tend to get from JRPG's but the action-RPG battle system is just so.. much.. fun!

Cina wrote: »
    About 30 hours into Ys VIII now, and wow, what a great game. A surprisingly great game. I mean, sure, it suffers from the usual dodgy graphics and poor localization you tend to get from JRPG's but the action-RPG battle system is just so.. much.. fun!

Nothing surprising about it. Ys has been the best action RPG series since it first started and it's just heaps of fun. Falcom just make the best Action RPGs which are more fun and action packed than most plain action games. Recently played through Xanadu Next by them on steam and it was just an absolute blast. Like diablo if it was more focused on action rather than stats and some metroidvania elements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Haven't played a Tales game yet, would Berseria be a good start or any recommendations? Not stuck for anything play and about to start into Ys VIII but Berseria is chape at the moment so was thinking of adding it to the JRPG queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,399 ✭✭✭✭noodler

So if I was to try one of these Ys games.

Where would be a good place to start?

skerry wrote: »
    Haven't played a Tales game yet, would Berseria be a good start or any recommendations? Not stuck for anything play and about to start into Ys VIII but Berseria is chape at the moment so was thinking of adding it to the JRPG queue.

Vesperia or smyphonia would be my suggestion and then play beseria, just because beseria battles are faster than the former but the former have the better story lines IMO.
    noodler wrote: »

Start with whatever one you want but I played celceta first and loved it.

Ys VIII is the newest but Oath in Felghana is a great one to get into as it's so well paced. Celceta as well is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,399 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Just looking at the wiki but I've not vita so maybe 7s is the one to try first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 DarioFER

Suggest something closely similar to the golden age of Final Fantasy?

Vesperia or smyphonia would be my suggestion and then play beseria, just because beseria battles are faster than the former but the former have the better story lines IMO.

Just checked and saw that Symphonia is a PS3 title so that's out for me. Vesperia is full price on Switch and PS4 so will keep an eye out for sale on that. Tempted to pick up Berseria anyway, its down to 14.99 on Irish PSN Store as of today, not sure how often it gets discounted.

Hoping to get started into Ys VIII this evening. About halfway through Xeno 2 but we need some serious time apart.

Just looking at the wiki but I've not vita so maybe 7s is the one to try first.

Oath is a much better game than 7. 7 is brilliant but a bit too talky.
    DarioFER wrote: »
    Suggest something closely similar to the golden age of Final Fantasy?

Dragon Quest XI is a good shout. Persona 5 as well.

If you have a 3DS there's plenty there as well such as Shin Megami Tensei 4 and the Etrian Odyssey games.

Just checked and saw that Symphonia is a PS3 title so that's out for me. Vesperia is full price on Switch and PS4 so will keep an eye out for sale on that. Tempted to pick up Berseria anyway, its down to 14.99 on Irish PSN Store as of today, not sure how often it gets discounted.

Hoping to get started into Ys VIII this evening. About halfway through Xeno 2 but we need some serious time apart.

Ohh do pick it up and start that if you want, You can get symphonia on steam if you have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Vesperia is a budget release so shouldn't be full price, even GameStop sell it for €45.

Simply Games are selling the PS4 version for £25 and the Switch version for £35.

https://www.simplygames.com/search?keywords=Tales+of+vesperia

Vesperia is a budget release so shouldn't be full price, even GameStop sell it for €45.

Simply Games are selling the PS4 version for £25 and the Switch version for £35.

https://www.simplygames.com/search?keywords=Tales+of+vesperia

Cheers, I'd be hopeful it will pop up on a sale soonish between the Switch and PS4, kind of prefer digital if I can get it at a decent price. Might get Berseria at that price either way, it'll be a while before I get to it anyway

Cheers, I'd be hopeful it will pop up on a sale soonish between the Switch and PS4, kind of prefer digital if I can get it at a decent price. Might get Berseria at that price either way, it'll be a while before I get to it anyway

I would pick up Berseria, it is the best Tales game since Vesperia by far.

And I'd recommend getting neither. There's much better games to play than Tales of games.

The joys of having 3 Jrpg experts, three different valid opinion :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Advertisement