Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm still waiting on that dream switch release with extra content :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Retr0gamer wrote: »

I was thinking the same thing yesterday. It's a sin it probably won't see a Switch release, it's perfect for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Retr0gamer wrote: »

it's tied down as a Sony exclusive isn't it?

Shame, perfect game for the Switch.

I still need to do NG+ on the PS4, though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Cina wrote: »
    it's tied down as a Sony exclusive isn't it?

Shame, perfect game for the Switch.

I still need to do NG+ on the PS4, though.

It's only a Sony exclusive in that it's only on Sony consoles at the moment.

I'm pretty sure it will come to Switch, it's a port that will print money. The only issue might be the engine could be too much work to port since it's proprietary but I'd be surprised if it's not being considered especially with how close Atlus and Nintendo are at the moment with SMT 5 penciled in for the Switch.

I already somehow own 2 Ps4 copies of the game, might as well make it 3!

A PC port would be nice as well.

the fact that Joker is a Smash character points to it as well and then there's rumours a port for 2019 will be announced along with the release of Joker as a Smash character.

There was a post made saying P5 was only on PS3 and PS4 but it didn't mention an exclusivity deal and the post also said Yakuza 0 was only on PS4 but I now own that on PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Supposed to be an update for the enhanced version when the finale of the P5 anime airs at the end of the month.

• Advertisement

Supposed to be an update for the enhanced version when the finale of the P5 anime airs at the end of the month.

Which is around when Joker is released for Smash... hmmm.

Still got SMT4 Apocalypse to play so not like I can't hold out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Really trying to like World of Final Fantasy but it's just not grabbing me. Any basic tips or advise?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,399 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'm on the Sae dungeon in P5.

Near 85 hours in.

These games badly need an edit, I started this a year ago.

85 hours doesn't even tell the story, in terms of how many times I died and had to repeat.

Already mentioned before but the dialogue is terrible in this one, a real step down from the previous two.

Also, the boss fights are way too easy. Very disappointing after 3/4.

I must go back to three sometime. I died when some story based counter expired and never went back.

For the counter you just have to reach the top of Tartarus but by that stage you should be steam rolling the game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Anyone played evoland ?

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    I'm on the Sae dungeon in P5.

Near 85 hours in.

These games badly need an edit, I started this a year ago.

85 hours doesn't even tell the story, in terms of how many times I died and had to repeat.

Already mentioned before but the dialogue is terrible in this one, a real step down from the previous two.

Also, the boss fights are way too easy. Very disappointing after 3/4.

I must go back to three sometime. I died when some story based counter expired and never went back.

I am finding that JRPG's tend to have some unwritten law that the game must be at least an 80 hour crusade, at least in my experience so far. I'm 50 hours into Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and only on chapter 5 of 10, the thought of another 50 is not appealing to me right now.

This is my first Persona game but really enjoying it now since picking it up again. Just cleared second palace, boss wasnt as hard as I thought he would be, especially if you have Rampage available. I do think it'll be putting it down again at least once before I finish it though, too many games to play to be committing 100 hours to one and not have some variation in between.

I was looking at Adverts for reasonably priced PS Vita yesterday, wouldnt mind playing Persona 4 at some stage.

Anyone played evoland ?

Yeah. My advice is don't. It's middling and one of those games that thinks it's cleverer than it actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

skerry wrote: »
    I am finding that JRPG's tend to have some unwritten law that the game must be at least an 80 hour crusade, at least in my experience so far. I'm 50 hours into Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and only on chapter 5 of 10, the thought of another 50 is not appealing to me right now.

This is my first Persona game but really enjoying it now since picking it up again. Just cleared second palace, boss wasnt as hard as I thought he would be, especially if you have Rampage available. I do think it'll be putting it down again at least once before I finish it though, too many games to play to be committing 100 hours to one and not have some variation in between.

I was looking at Adverts for reasonably priced PS Vita yesterday, wouldnt mind playing Persona 4 at some stage.

€110 in CEX for a 1st gen with the oled screen.

https://ie.webuy.com/product-detail?id=71171918b3g2&categoryName=ps-vita-consoles&superCatName=gaming&title=playstation-vita-black-3g-unboxed

I would advise going for a 3g model as they can be modded to use sd cards rather than the proprietary cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

I guess this fits here. New Octopath Traveller prequel coming to smartphones.

I like the new system for combat, with all 8 characters on screen and able to swap between them, feels more like your whole party is travelling together than 4 at a time in the original.

No clue how "light" it may be as a phone game, maybe might make the jump to console later.

Any thoughts on Tokyo Xanadu Ex lads? I think Sephiroth_dude had recommended it before to me. It's on sale for 14.99 at the moment and considering adding it to my JRPG pile of shame

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Any thoughts on Tokyo Xanadu Ex lads? I think Sephiroth_dude had recommended it before to me. It's on sale for 14.99 at the moment and considering adding it to my JRPG pile of shame

I'm about halfway through and while its fun I'm struggling to muster the enthusiasm to continue. The main characters just aren't very appealing, the player character is especially boring. The side characters are more interesting if I'm being honest.

The dungeon crawling is fun enough though.

Its a bit bland I guess is what I'm saying.

sephiroth_dude swears by it.

Falcom usually make excellent action RPGs. combat seems lots of fun from what I played even if the story is anime generica.

Cheers lads. Will check out a few reviews on YouTube when I get home. Might be worth a punt at that price.

Cheers lads. Will check out a few reviews on YouTube when I get home. Might be worth a punt at that price.

For what its worth I think it follows the same structure the whole way through, so if you like it in the beginning you'll probably like all of it. Unless you get tired of it.

megaten wrote: »
    For what its worth I think it follows the same structure the whole way through, so if you like it in the beginning you'll probably like all of it. Unless you get tired of it.

Screenshots on PS Store make it look quite Persona-ey, but a quick Google suggests the combat is more similar to YS games. Enjoyed the combat in YS VIII but characters aren't really doing anything for me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I loved it, if you like trails you'll love it!

I loved it, if you like trails you'll love it!

Never played Trails :(. Relative noob when it comes to JRPGs. I

Never played Trails :(. Relative noob when it comes to JRPGs. I

Another series of games for you too check out! anyway you can't go wrong with Tokyo Xanadu Ex for that price.

Another series of games for you too check out! anyway you can't go wrong with Tokyo Xanadu Ex for that price.

Presume they were PS3 titles? PS4 is my first Sony console so looks like TX might be the closest I'll get to experiencing anything like Trials. Might chance it at that price.

Presume they were PS3 titles? PS4 is my first Sony console so looks like TX might be the closest I'll get to experiencing anything like Trials. Might chance it at that price.

Cold steel 1 and 2 games are coming too ps4 this month I think , there also on vita and ps 3 , cold steel 3 is to ps4 in September ,then you have the legend of heros trail in the sky and two other games, they can be gotten on pc and vita.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,399 ✭✭✭✭noodler

My Christ, persona 5 will never end..

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

https://gematsu.com/2019/03/utawarerumono-prelude-to-the-fallen-coming-west-in-early-2020

The remake of the remake of the first Utawaerumono game is coming to the west, great news that people can finally enjoy the full story

28qTSwi.gif

Also this kind of filth

Different publisher so hopefully it'll follow the same conventions. I held out on getting the other two when I heard the first was getting remade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

There's a Final Fantasy sale on Vita at the moment with everything apart from VII and IX for a fiver. Picked up IV Complete Collection among a few others and am working through it at the moment - it's not bad.

Never played IV before and it's pretty basic by today's standards but there's still enough hooks and the updated graphics aren't as bad as their IOS ports would go on to be.

Advertisement