Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I find FF4 to be one of the best Final Fantasy games. The story is very basic, clichidden and is a total star wars rip off but the game is just so well paced and tonnes of fun. It's probably the FF game I've beaten the most. And it's not like Final Fantasy games have good stories anyway.

I just find it doesn't waste the players time and is so well paced. It's the only FF game where the ATB system actually works and serves a purpose when it comes to the puzzle bosses, even if slow if pretty over powered.

Just don't play the god awful waste of time that is the after years episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Valkyria chronicles 4 is getting fairly meh towards the end. I'm on chapter 15 and the promise of more open, tactical battlefields from some of the earlier missions has disappeared in favour of very prescribed encounters. I'm just cheesing some of the levels which is a disappointment.

The favouring of op enemy special units rather than interesting scenarios populated by standard units is a real poor design decision imo

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Looks like it might be the same sort of deal as Cold Steel, NISA are doing it but they took on some key staff that worked on Mask of Truth/Deception

We'll have to see how these work out

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Started Tactics Ogre again. Forgot how tough it is where they send undead troops after you in the early game who resurrect in 3 turns!

Also noticed that Kingdom Hearts 3 is out and yet nobody is talking about it.

I think this backs up my theory that nobody is talking about it because fans of Kingdom Hearts have never actually played the games. If they actually played the games they wouldn't be fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Retr0gamer wrote: »

I think this backs up my theory that nobody is talking about it because fans of Kingdom Hearts have never actually played the games. If they actually played the games they wouldn't be fans.

That's delusional no offence, there no reason to like kingdom hearts outside of the games themselves.

I'm not talking about it because the first one came out when I was like 12 and there's no way I'm going through 15 years of side games to catch up. I beat maybe 4 games a year at this stage so my habits just don't match up anymore with what would be required to get back into it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Started Tactics Ogre again. Forgot how tough it is where they send undead troops after you in the early game who resurrect in 3 turns!

None of us are talking about it but you keep bringing it up :pac: :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Back playing Valkyria Chronicles on the Switch now after picking up 4 in the sale. Loving the first one, reckon I'm about halfway through. Boss fight on Chapter 7 was tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

SEGA are doing a survey on what games people want to see from them in the future https://games.sega.com/survey/

If you guys want more Valkyria Chronicles or Skies of Arcadia or Shining or Phantasy star or anything, let them know. I'm also hoping they bring the next Sakura Wars to the west
    skerry wrote: »
    Back playing Valkyria Chronicles on the Switch now after picking up 4 in the sale. Loving the first one, reckon I'm about halfway through. Boss fight on Chapter 7 was tough.

Well done getting past it, that battle is pretty infamous for striking fear in people

Sieghardt wrote: »
    SEGA are doing a survey on what games people want to see from them in the future https://games.sega.com/survey/

If you guys want more Valkyria Chronicles or Skies of Arcadia or Shining or Phantasy star or anything, let them know. I'm also hoping they bring the next Sakura Wars to the west

Well done getting past it, that battle is pretty infamous for striking fear in people

It took ages but think I got it on second try. On Chapter 12 now so hopefully complete it over the weekend and take a quick break and get stuck into VC4.

Unlocked the Caution Order last night which makes levels I would have had trouble with before laughably easy and doable in max 2 turns. Turns Scouts into beasts that can just run through hails of bullets.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

https://twitter.com/Persona_Central/status/1109017317281677314

More info on Persona 5 R should be out tomorrow

• Advertisement

Hoping for a switch and PC version. Would also be nice if they put it on Xbox as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

ERG89 wrote: »
    More info on Persona 5 R should be out tomorrow

To save people watching it the trailer confirms Persona 5 R stood for Persona 5 - The Royal, looks to feature a female protagonist and more info April 24th.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

ERG89 wrote: »

To save people watching it the trailer confirms Persona 5 R stood for Persona 5 - The Royal, looks to feature a female protagonist and more info April 24th.....
    Some comments pointing out they're a year lower and doesn't like phantom thieves but dunno if the translation is right. It's a long wait :(

I really want a Fem MC but if the PT are already operating then might not look good

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

My other guess was
    Lucifer/Hikaru
    like in SMT IV

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Its a new game I take it?

Finished Valkyria Chronicles last night, great game. Enjoyed the story, nice little Band of Brothers vibe to it and the music fits it perfectly. Some of the later levels were a bit of a slog and some of the mechanics weren't very well explained but super game over all.
    Scouts get fairly OP late game once you have certain orders unlocked and some of the levels can be fairly cheesed. Tendency to think of the most laborious route from A to B using different classes and then find out I can just tank up my scout and run through a hail of fire and shoot the boss square in the puss :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

skerry wrote: »
    Finished Valkyria Chronicles last night, great game. Enjoyed the story, nice little Band of Brothers vibe to it and the music fits it perfectly. Some of the later levels were a bit of a slog and some of the mechanics weren't very well explained but super game over all.
    Scouts get fairly OP late game once you have certain orders unlocked and some of the levels can be fairly cheesed. Tendency to think of the most laborious route from A to B using different classes and then find out I can just tank up my scout and run through a hail of fire and shoot the boss square in the puss :)

VC4 is exactly the same btw. Great game but the same flaws with mission layout, enemy AI and stuff not being explained.

penev10 wrote: »
    VC4 is exactly the same btw. Great game but the same flaws with mission layout, enemy AI and stuff not being explained.

I still really enjoyed it apart from those minor niggles. Picked up VC4 in the sale last week and looking forward to getting stuck into that but gonna take a bit of a break from the franchise first for a few weeks.

Bought and started playing SMT IV despite owning a bunch of 3DS games already and I'm glad a did. Enjoying so far despite dying quite a bit. Its not that big a deal since you can save anywhere.

Its also not a cheap feeling as I thought it was going to be even though its all sprites for battle. They make good use of effects to make things feel exciting.

I loved SMT4. The soundtrack is a real standout. My only issue is it gets too easy after an initial challenging start but that might just be being familiar with the series as smt3 wasn't as bad as people said for me.

• Advertisement

I also really like how you seem to be able to swap demons around while in battle without too much trouble. Makes those situations where your almost screwed a bit more manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,399 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Finally finished P5.

My god the save file. Says 115 hours but I know it's a bit longer.

I dunno how people could do new game plus and put themselves through that again.

Great soundtrack, great systems, great battle (if lacking the challenge of previous games) but my. God... I swear the dialogue in p3/4 wasn't that poor.

Also a weak enough story and didn't elicit a desire to find out what happens next like in p4.

An editor. Could have cut 30/40 hours out of that easily and you'd have lost nothing.

A new translator is badly needed also.

I think Persona 5 was developed at an awkward time at Atlus with their parent company going nuts and being bought out by Sega and it shows in the final product.

For the rerelease it looks like they might be going a more expansion/new storyline route rather than try and stuff more into the main game.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

https://twitter.com/ResetEraNT/status/1110405190862147584?s=19

Square Enix adds always-online DRM to Steam FF X/X2 HD in the only update, 3 years after release.
    Utter scum, I've requested a refund.

noodler wrote: »
    Finally finished P5.

My god the save file. Says 115 hours but I know it's a bit longer.

I dunno how people could do new game plus and put themselves through that again.

Great soundtrack, great systems, great battle (if lacking the challenge of previous games) but my. God... I swear the dialogue in p3/4 wasn't that poor.

Also a weak enough story and didn't elicit a desire to find out what happens next like in p4.

An editor. Could have cut 30/40 hours out of that easily and you'd have lost nothing.

A new translator is badly needed also.

You'll be glad to know Persona 5 R is out soon.

The move to Sega has hit Atlus bad in terms of localisation. Seems they were stretched working on Sega projects and there's a lot of machine translated nonsense in the game and odd sounding sentence structure. Hope the backlash has been taken on board as the P5 localisation was a massive step backwards from a company usually at the top of the pile for localisation.

Finished Ys VIII last night, what an awesome game.

You've been liking your Falcom games lately. They really are the kings of arpg. Finished Xanadu Next recently and absolutely loved it.

You've been liking your Falcom games lately. They really are the kings of arpg. Finished Xanadu Next recently and absolutely loved it.

They truly are, can't for the next Ys game or whatever else they bring out .

• Registered Users Posts: 26,399 ✭✭✭✭noodler

You'll be glad to know Persona 5 R is out soon.

The move to Sega has hit Atlus bad in terms of localisation. Seems they were stretched working on Sega projects and there's a lot of machine translated nonsense in the game and odd sounding sentence structure. Hope the backlash has been taken on board as the P5 localisation was a massive step backwards from a company usually at the top of the pile for localisation.

I'm just glad it's not me.

Anyway, I'm gonna give rise of the Tomb raider or the witness a go next.

But for the next JRPG I'll look into Ys Oath as you suggested.

• Advertisement

Advertisement