Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Looks gorgeous. Sakura Wars is massive in Japan. It was hugely popular on the Saturn but dickhead Bernie Stollar blocked a western release. It became a massive multimedia franchise and made stars out if the voice actors. Would love to see remakes of the original games

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Looks gorgeous. Sakura Wars is massive in Japan. It was hugely popular on the Saturn but dickhead Bernie Stollar blocked a western release. It became a massive multimedia franchise and made stars out if the voice actors. Would love to see remakes of the original games

Why did he block it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Why did he block it?

Because Sega America and Sega Japan were at war with each other. Sega were an extremely petty company back during the Saturn era. The source code for Panzer Saga was deleted by another dev as he wasn't allowed to use its game engine.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Because Sega America and Sega Japan were at war with each other. Sega were an extremely petty company back during the Saturn era. The source code for Panzer Saga was deleted by another dev as he wasn't allowed to use its game engine.

No wonder they went tits up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Picked up FFVII on the Switch. Never had OG Playstation so have never experienced it. Only played first level so far so just getting used to battle system.

Edit: meant VII not XII

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

skerry wrote: »
    Picked up FFVII on the Switch. Never had OG Playstation so have never experienced it. Only played first level so far so just getting used to battle system.

Edit: meant VII not XII

Enjoy! Probably best to play it in hand held form with the dated graphics, use headphones though as the soundtrack is incredible.

I'm tempted to snap it up on the switch myself, but can only see myself playing it if traveling :(

nix wrote: »
    Enjoy! Probably best to play it in hand held form with the dated graphics, use headphones though as the soundtrack is incredible.

I'm tempted to snap it up on the switch myself, but can only see myself playing it if traveling :(

Soundtrack is pretty sweet so far. Have battle system set to wait as was finding it hard to get used to having to select items as enemies attacked while I'm in menu. Hoping it will be a handy one to chip away on on handheld.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Didn't one give the go ahead to release a console sooner than expected (I think it was the Saturn) without the other one having prepared for its release that soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

ERG89 wrote: »
    Didn't one give the go ahead to release a console sooner than expected (I think it was the Saturn) without the other one having prepared for its release that soon.

That was Sega America. At the first E3 they showcased the Saturn at their keynote stated that the price was $399 and that it was on sale now at select retailers. The games were unfinished, and they burned there bridges with some retailers that didn't have it at launch who then refused to stock it.

Sonys keynote that year ended up being a 3 word statement.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

ERG89 wrote: »

Nothing to do with that. Bernie Stollar masterminded the Sony launch. Put in a policy of no RPGs and 2D games for launch and only focus on cutting edge 3D games. Made the PS1 look more advanced than competition.

He was poached by Sega to rescue Saturn. Put in the same strategy. However the Saturns strengths were in gorgeous 2D games and had several amazing RPGs like grandia.

Meanwhile Sony relaxed that policy and enjoyed massive success as it's diverse library appealed to a wide demograph. It was home to 2D games like symphony of the night and RPGs exploded in popularity with FF7. Saturn technical showcase grandia ended up getting a western PS1 release.

It wouldn't have saved the Saturn but could have made the machine a quirky and desirable second console. Instead the systems best games remained in Japan and are now extremely hard to track down or even play.

• Advertisement

The World Ends With You on Switch is down to £22.99 on Amazon at the moment. I've heard good things about the game itself, but not so much about the controls.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Persona 5 S (a different game to the Royal version) has a teaser site up.

https://p5s.jp/

More news on 25th of April.....because what would a Persona announcement be apart from an announcement of an announcement!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The World Ends With You on Switch is down to £22.99 on Amazon at the moment.

As much as I love the game I would avoid it, the controls both motion and touchscreen are horrendously bad.

Xenji wrote: »
    As much as I love the game I would avoid it, the controls both motion and touchscreen are horrendously bad.

That's the impression I was getting from reviews, good game, terrible port. I think I have too much on my plate JRPG wise at the moment anyway. Only getting into FFVII at the moment and want to stick with it if I can.

That's the impression I was getting from reviews, good game, terrible port. I think I have too much on my plate JRPG wise at the moment anyway. Only getting into FFVII at the moment and want to stick with it if I can.

First time playing it?

First time playing it?

Yeah, I never had OG Playstation. Was always a Sega/ Xbox person but given that I've only discovered my love of JRPG's late in life I think I might have picked the wrong teams.

About 2 hours into it and just getting used to mechanics but its enjoyable so far and the dated graphics aren't bothering me.

Yeah, I never had OG Playstation. Was always a Sega/ Xbox person but given that I've only discovered my love of JRPG's late in life I think I might have picked the wrong teams.

About 2 hours into it and just getting used to mechanics but its enjoyable so far and the dated graphics aren't bothering me.

Lucky man, I'd love to be playing it for the first time again, enjoy.

Lucky man, I'd love to be playing it for the first time again, enjoy.

Cheers, I now know where you got your name too :D

Early days yet but so far so good. Nice character development and soundtrack is sweet from what I've heard of it so far.

It's not the best game ever people make it out to be but I went through it again with the fan translation mod a few months ago and had a blast with it.

Quite a unique feeling game. Doubt we will have RPGs like we had in the PS1 era where wild ambition and invention could be met with a modest budget

It's not the best game ever people make it out to be

skerry pay no attention to this, this coming from a fella who thinks the masterpiece legend of dragoon is one of the worse games ever :eek:.

:pac::pac::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Pretty sure FFVII broke the bank when they developed it. Going by the FFVII retrospective Polygon did ages ago they had to scale up massively to develop it which was offset by generous reduction in royalties to Sony in exchange for going to playstation and encouraging other publishers to do so as well.

megaten wrote: »
    Pretty sure FFVII broke the bank when they developed it. Going by the FFVII retrospective Polygon did ages ago they had to scale up massively to develop it which was offset by generous reduction in royalties to Sony in exchange for going to playstation and encouraging other publishers to do so as well.

It did but it's budget was meagre compared to game budgets today. Developers have to invest so much in a game they have to play it safe and go with current trends and focus testing.

FF7 on the other hand is a glorious mess that would never get made todays.

That and iseaki has ruined Japanese anime and videogames :)

It did but it's budget was meagre compared to game budgets today. Developers have to invest so much in a game they have to play it safe and go with current trends and focus testing.

FF7 on the other hand is a glorious mess that would never get made todays.

That and iseaki has ruined Japanese anime and videogames :)

Sorry but I really disagree with this, even SE still make expensive messes. They just don't happen to be good. I'm almost certain FF7's budget was close enough to 100 million and is definitely their or over it with marketing.

According to Business Insider
    "Final Fantasy VII" cost around $45 million to make, and had a U.S. marketing budget of around $100 million.

megaten wrote: »
    Sorry but I really disagree with this, even SE still make expensive messes. They just don't happen to be good. I'm almost certain FF7's budget was close enough to 100 million and is definitely their or over it with marketing.

Well Squaresoft make messes like FF13 which are more to do with poor management and bowing to marketing whims. FF7 was more a dev team that was way too ambitious given the budget and technical limitations and the result should have been awful but the love that teM had for the project really shines true.

Then you have the quiet man and left alive. Not sure what the **** happened there.

Square definitely fund some quirky projects but they mostly come from tri ace co developed stuff.

Just miss that 90s era of Eva inspired stories with crazy mechanics. And while FF7 is very vanilla in terms of mechanics there's a lot of charm to mish mash of genres and how the tone flip flops throughout. Used to think it was a flaw but last time I played it I really enjoyed it. It works when it really shouldn't.

According to Business Insider
    "Final Fantasy VII" cost around $45 million to make, and had a U.S. marketing budget of around $100 million.

That's a lot of marketing money but then Sony were the publisher and put the cutscenes front and centre to shift the PlayStation.

Have to say I'm enjoying FF VII now. Only issue I'm having is with the low res backgrounds sometimes its very hard to see whats a ladder or a ramp and how to proceed from the area. Also just encountered the longest stairs in video game history :D

You can turn on an optoon to highlight exits and ladders. Very helpful.

You can turn on an optoon to highlight exits and ladders. Very helpful.

I had a look in config menu there and nothing jumps out. Do you remember what the option was named? Could definitely do with it, a lot of time spent wondering around so far only to find I'd walked past the ramp I was supposed to use.

• Advertisement

I had a look in config menu there and nothing jumps out. Do you remember what the option was named? Could definitely do with it, a lot of time spent wondering around so far only to find I'd walked past the ramp I was supposed to use.

Should be something like just pressing the select button?

Advertisement