Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Anyone know anything about Valhalla Knights 3?Its out for vita next week but only in the states.

So this was came during the week in the u.s and next week here and its not getting great reviews unfortunately,I'm still tempted to get it though,gamestop probably wont have it in though because it an "obscure" title lol

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Oh ya and I got stella deus last night :).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Anyone with a US 3DS and wants Etrian Odyssey Untold I have it on sale for pretty cheap on the arcade and retro sales forum. I managed to end up with two copies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Just noticed Growlanser and Gungnir (PSP) are down to €9.99 (€8.99 with PS+) on the PS Store. When did that happen? Will have to pick up at least one of them at that price.

• Advertisement

penev10 wrote: »
    Just noticed Growlanser and Gungnir (PSP) are down to €9.99 (€8.99 with PS+) on the PS Store. When did that happen? Will have to pick up at least one of them at that price.

Are they worth it ?

Are they worth it ?

Well they were €30 last year when they came out and Growlanser in particular is highly rated.

Stella deus is not an easy game lol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Stella deus is not an easy game lol

The reviews all said it was easy.

I on the other hand couldn't get past the first boss for ages!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The reviews all said it was easy.

I on the other hand couldn't get past the first boss for ages!

That's exactly where I'm stuck,he's some ****er!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Playing some SMTIV and while I'm not far in it I have to say I'm very impressed. Most SMT games are very low budgetand try to disguise that with good art and presentation. SMTIV is probably the nicest looking 3DS game yet and makes great use of 3D. The new fusion system is a god send. You can do a search which will list all the possible fusions for you. You cna even search by criteria like race and abilities you want the demon to have. There's also recommendations that the program will give you. Makes the whole process far more streamlined.

You cna even search by criteria like race and abilities you want the demon to have.

Wow, that's seriously handy.

megaten wrote: »
    Wow, that's seriously handy.

Yeah the old way of trying every kind of combination was very clunky and outdated so it's great seeing them finally streamline it.

The new fusion system is a god send. You can do a search which will list all the possible fusions for you. You cna even search by criteria like race and abilities you want the demon to have. There's also recommendations that the program will give you. Makes the whole process far more streamlined.

That feature alone has bumped it up my wish list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Anyone recommend any JRPG's coming out over the next year that are non FF? I'll be getting those anyway. :)

Anyone recommend any JRPG's coming out over the next year that are non FF? I'll be getting those anyway. :)

If you like FF then Bravely Default is allegedly similar, it's out in a couple of weeks on 3DS.

The only others on my horizon are Tales of Symphonia HD in Feb and the new Y's for the Vita which is early next year. SMT IV is top of the list but I don't think that's been given an EU release date.

SMT IV is out in Spring here. I'm playing the US version and it's something really special so definitely pick it up.

• Advertisement

There's more Ys related news today.

Ys V has finally gotten a fan translation today. It suppsoedly plays a lot more like Zelda than classic Ys.

Got a streetpass for Etrian Oddessy IV today while I was at the Evangelion triple feature. Never thought that was going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭ConFurioso

Gentlefolk....I've taken the plunge and bought a 3ds.

Its my first venture into Nintendo (full stop. I know, sheltered life!)

I've been playing persona 3+4 on my vita and I've heard RPGs are where its at on the ds/3ds.

So....recommendations please? Old or new! ^_^

I realise this could open a can of worms, so maybe limit the recomendations to a top 5? Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan
    Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millenium Girl
    Bravely Default
    Shin Megami Tensei IV
    Tales of the Abyss
    Crimson Shroud
    Fire Emblem: Awakening

Just to name a few that I have really enjoyed, have not got my hands on Bravely Default yet but people are rating it very highly.

Shin Megami Tensei 4 is really good so definitely look into picking it up when it gets a european release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭ConFurioso

Ah crap! I didn't know it wasn't out here yet. God damn region lock.... It's the one that jumped out from the above list for me.

Cheers for the lost Xenji, plenty to keep me going until SMT4! Or even PQ! :)

What's the gameplay like in a SMT game? Similar to the Persona spin off? Or strategy based? I'm on a massive Atlus buzz at the moment. Just finished Catherine again.

ConFurioso wrote: »
    What's the gameplay like in a SMT game? Similar to the Persona spin off? Or strategy based? I'm on a massive Atlus buzz at the moment. Just finished Catherine again.

Each SMT spin-off plays quite differently and even within each subseries there can be big differences, such as the earlier Persona games compared to 3 and 4. It's kind of hard to answer that question.

SMT is closest in gameplay to Nocturne. It uses the same press turn system (which is kind of like the Persona 3-4 battle system). The big difference with SMT4 is that it's very open, there's a lot of exploring you can do. I'd say it's probably the most accessible game in the series so far.

I beat SMT4 last night. Wonderful game. However one thing left a very sour note. A big and important part of the story isn't in the game but the DLC add-ons which is just ridiculous imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Its a bit rough, and some technical glitches in getting it working right, but the Valkyria Translation Project have released a first build of their translation for Valkyria Chronicles 3. You have to use custom firmware to apply it so dunno about using your PSP on the store or such after ( I think thats a no).

http://vc3translationproject.wordpress.com/

I was always gonna get a Vita to play any PSN downloaded games after my PSP is tweaked, but kinda stretched to pick one up. On the other hand, Persona 3+4 and Trails of the Sky!!

Advertisement