Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Finished Dragon Quest 11 last night, lovely, fun game, if a little easy when you get over level 40 or so. Still threw about 70 hours into it. Defo one for fans if classic FF games.

Any advice for the mordegon boss fight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Any advice for the mordegon boss fight?

Are you struggling?

I only died once throughout the entire game and that was early doors when I got too big for my boots when grinding.

The way I did it was have main character and Hendrick (both 50+ physically strong), Serena and Rab as my line up. Had Serena and Rabs focus be on magic, and Hendrick on offense. Main character I controlled mainly using the most powerful gigaslash ability and for topping up MP when needed. S & R will keep you healed and attack when everyone is healthy and Hendrick also has healing abilities for emergencies. Took about half an hour or so between the two incarnations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Thinking of jumping into a new JRPG, any recommendations? I'd prefer to play on the switch, but can be swayed to PC or PS4.

I have my eye on Tales of vesperia, but interested to know if i should try something else?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Are you struggling?

I only died once throughout the entire game and that was early doors when I got too big for my boots when grinding.

The way I did it was have main character and Hendrick (both 50+ physically strong), Serena and Rab as my line up. Had Serena and Rabs focus be on magic, and Hendrick on offense. Main character I controlled mainly using the most powerful gigaslash ability and for topping up MP when needed. S & R will keep you healed and attack when everyone is healthy and Hendrick also has healing abilities for emergencies. Took about half an hour or so between the two incarnations.

Haven't tried them yet, was just looking for some tips before I attempted them.
    nix wrote: »
    Thinking of jumping into a new JRPG, any recommendations? I'd prefer to play on the switch, but can be swayed to PC or PS4.

I have my eye on Tales of vesperia, but interested to know if i should try something else?

Have you tried xeno blade chronicles 2? I highly recommend it, Vesperia is a great game but if you're use to the more recent tales titles you might find the combat slow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's always way better options than any of the tales of games.

You not played Xenoblade Chronicles 2 yet? Not a great selection on the switch. Ys VIII is a fantastic action RPG.

PS4 is equally bereft.

There's the Atelier games which I love but aren't for everyone. I find them relaxing and have a nice slice of life vibe compared to the save the world stakes in other games.

There's Dragon Quest XI but I'm waiting on the switch version there.

Tokyo Xanadu for more falcom goodness

Or get stuck into the Trails series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Xenoblade 2 has better production values than any Tales game but I wouldn't say its massively better. The game part is good but the story is massively ham in the wrong way and is made worse by the awful audio mixing.

Have you tried xeno blade chronicles 2? I highly recommend it, Vesperia is a great game but if you're use to the more recent tales titles you might find the combat slow.

I've played xenoblade chronicles but didnt get too far into it, i didnt give it alot of time, i wasnt mad about the combat, same with xenoblade chronicles x, but i didnt give that one much time at all, again, not mad on the combat.

But i didnt give the combat a proper chance, i wasnt in the right mind for a game of that size at the time. But it reminded me of FF12 combat and that never grew on me either..

And I've never played a tales game ever before, I've only really played the final fantasy games and then also Persona 5. So outside of those, i havent played a lot..

Id be happy with a good story/characters and a good combat system, Id try xenoblade chronicles 2 but ill wait until the price drops as its pretty pricey at the mo..

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    There's always way better options than any of the tales of games.

You not played Xenoblade Chronicles 2 yet? Not a great selection on the switch. Ys VIII is a fantastic action RPG.

PS4 is equally bereft.

There's the Atelier games which I love but aren't for everyone. I find them relaxing and have a nice slice of life vibe compared to the save the world stakes in other games.

There's Dragon Quest XI but I'm waiting on the switch version there.

Tokyo Xanadu for more falcom goodness

Or get stuck into the Trails series.

Is that Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana? That looks fun, combat wise, is the story/characters good?

I never played the Dragon quest games, their stories looked lacking, very generic RPG of times past :pac:

Is that Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana? That looks fun, combat wise, is the story/characters good?

I never played the Dragon quest games, their stories looked lacking, very generic RPG of times past :pac:

I played Ys VIII on switch and loved it, I would go with that if you can or try vesperia or Tokyo Xanadu/Trails games on ps4.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ys games are less about the story and more about incredibly fun game play. I'd still highly recommend it as even if it's light on story it's well paced.

Also you couldn't be more wrong about Dragon Quest. There's a few weak entries in terms of story but there's some really incredible writing in the majority of the games. The twee look belies a real maturity and emotional depth to its writing. Dragon Quest V fir instance is one of the best videogame stories ever told, so much so it's the game that they choose to make a forthcoming cgi movie about. It's a real emotional roller coaster.

I've not played a lot of dq11 but friends have said the story is fantastic in it and have read dragon quests fans say it's one of the series best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

Star Ocean: First Departure is coming to the playstation 4.
    Tri-ace are probably one of the most unappreciated developers along with falcom.

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2019/05/star_ocean_first_departure_r_a_remake_of_the_first_star_ocean_is_adventuring_to_ps4

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Star Ocean: First Departure is coming to the playstation 4.
    Tri-ace are probably one of the most unappreciated developers along with falcom.

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2019/05/star_ocean_first_departure_r_a_remake_of_the_first_star_ocean_is_adventuring_to_ps4

About time this came West. Iirc Square Enix released the PSP remakes of both First Departure and Second Evolution on PS4 in Japan years ago.

After trying twice to play Atelier Meruru on the Vita I started it on the PC. Stayed up until 1.30am. The game just has a fantastic just one for go loop, like all atelier games but even more so here as you are just bombarded with quests completions and rewards that make a tangible difference to you.

So yeah, I'm finding the game an awful lot of fun. Since I'm playing it on PC I'm more likely to stick with it and beat it. I just can't seem to stick with a game on the Vita. Haven't gone back to Tactics Ogre either and thinking I'll just install a PSP emulator and play it on PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

ERG89 wrote: »

Well unless that's a mistranslation then it's pretty definitive. It's a pity as I would love to have it on Switch, and more so the PC.

It would be a no brainer to farm the port out to a third party but I'm guessing the engine being a PS3-4 cross generational thing that it's a total mess technically.

Thankfully SMT5 will be UE4.

Still no plan at present just means they aren't working on it but it looks doubtful.

Dragon Quest XI PS4 is down to €20 in Argos. Not gonna find a better price than that I'd think

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Dragon Quest XI PS4 is down to €20 in Argos. Not gonna find a better price than that I'd think

Just reserved one, cheaper than the copy I was eyeing in cex.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Never played Grandia, looking forward to that on Switch

Never played Grandia, looking forward to that on Switch

You're in for a treat! both great games, would have loved to have seen 3 and xtreme come over here to europe.

You're in for a treat! both great games, would have loved to have seen 3 and xtreme come over here to europe.
    Switch getting a lot of rpgs atm aren't they? No Vita yet but very glad. Or is it just a few kinda together

Switch getting a lot of rpgs atm aren't they? No Vita yet but very glad. Or is it just a few kinda together

But sure the vita has been dead a long time :pac:

But sure the vita has been dead a long time :pac:
    I know, there's so much rpg and vn stuff on there though, I'd love Switch to be the same

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

• Registered Users Posts: 26,399 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Thanks got the last one in Stephens green

noodler wrote: »
    Thanks got the last one in Stephens green

Aye i got the last one in Blanch, i was gonna wait for it to hit switch but 20 blips was too good to pass up.

Cheers Cake!

Aye i got the last one in Blanch, i was gonna wait for it to hit switch but 20 blips was too good to pass up.

Cheers Cake!
    For to post. Reserved one and let a friend know and they picked it up too, they really appreciated it, thanks Cake!

• Advertisement

Advertisement