Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Delighted that FF8 seems to be getting a great remaster. Looks like the properly redid the UI instead of slapping a mobile UI instead. Never got round to beating it when I was younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I still wish they would remake VI and a proper remaster of IX, to be honest I am not that pushed by VII/VIII.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Well VIII is my favourite game of all time, so I'm obviously stoked. :D

Have to say it looks great too.

Seiken Densetsu 3 has finally got an official localization after a nearly 25 year wait, it does have its flaws but it is one of my favorite SNES games, I have always been a sucker for a good class change system.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Xenji wrote: »
    Seiken Densetsu 3 has finally got an official localization after a nearly 25 year wait, it does have its flaws but it is one of my favorite SNES games, I have always been a sucker for a good class change system.

It's also getting a remake, probably along the lines of the one done for Secret of Mana.

• Advertisement

It's also getting a remake, probably along the lines of the one done for Secret of Mana.

If it is anything like the first remake of there series I shall be avoiding it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

At least we finally got the original version .

Also liking the lack of ****s given for the ni no kuni remake.

Xenji wrote: »
    If it is anything like the first remake of there series I shall be avoiding it.

Looks like a far superior remake

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It looks so fúcking good!

I never actually got into Seiken Densetsu 3; only played it in the early days of emulation.
    Can't wait to see it in full.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,399 ✭✭✭✭noodler

About three hours into DQ11.

My first since 8.

Beautiful and all but slow start. Camera a mild pain when exploring indoors as well.

I'm told it starts slow tho.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    It looks so fúcking good!

I never actually got into Seiken Densetsu 3; only played it in the early days of emulation.
    Can't wait to see it in full.

Heard mixing things about 3. Lots of people hate it so hopefully the remake fixes those issues which is mostly that there's just too much forced combat.

I think the main gripe was the combat turning more tactical compared to the previous games, it turned a good few people off, but to me it has the best combat system of the series although it can get messy at time, it has the best gameplay as well with some interesting quirks.

The story is not great though and it has quite a few plot holes due to how you can start the game with any of the 5 different characters with their own overarching story and pick your own team.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Never beat it but for me what turned me off Seiken Densetsu 3 was complex in a way which wasn't as appealing compared to the simplicity of Secret of Mana. I might feel differently if I tried it again today.

I thought it was decent enough when I played it on emu years ago. It was like a more modern, superior version secret of mana. I didn't stick with it til the end for whatever reason. I think because its combat was too similar to SOM. I wouldn't be able to play SOM today either though. It's actually not great imo even though I played it to death as a child. Multiplayer aspect carried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Finally finished Xenoblade Chronicles 2 this week. Had left it down a few months back as we needed some time apart. Really enjoyed it overall despite some minor frustrations, particularly with the waypoint system.

Actually having a decent amount of craic with it now post game farming unique beasts. Battle system really came together towards the latter stages of the game once I sussed out the break mechanic and combo's.

Reckon there has to be an Irish writer in the game somewhere between characters called Bridgid and Padraig and I've also heard yonks, ****e, arse and someone being called a spanner :D

Picked up the DLC a few weeks back so interested to try Torna and see what changes they made, I understand its a bit more polished.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I finished Tales of Vesperia earlier, overall the story and characters were excellent, the combat system was a mess i found. I dropped the difficulty down to easy as the random jumps in difficulty made it annoying.

Even on easy the boss fights went on far too long in most cases and the need to constantly grind countless levels ruined the flow of the game, i dont mind having to grind it out for the extra hard yet rewarding side quests at the end, but when you're plain sailing and then bump into a boss that requires you to go off and level loads is just sh!t.

I dont know how people prefer/enjoy playing on normal or even hard, the fights must go on forever. Unless I was missing something in the combat? I just set up standard tactics for the 3 members on auto and then just controlled Yuri. Is it best to micro manage every player on the field manually?

Overall i loved the game, just wish the combat was more refined :)

Anyway, im about to tackle Dragon quest XI now, my first DQ, any advice or settings i should set before i start the journey? :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I gave up on Vesperia around an hour in, after hating the combat. Didn't even think to drop the difficulty down, just to play through the story, so i might give that a go at some stage.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

skerry wrote: »
    Finally finished Xenoblade Chronicles 2 this week. Had left it down a few months back as we needed some time apart. Really enjoyed it overall despite some minor frustrations, particularly with the waypoint system.

Actually having a decent amount of craic with it now post game farming unique beasts. Battle system really came together towards the latter stages of the game once I sussed out the break mechanic and combo's.

Reckon there has to be an Irish writer in the game somewhere between characters called Bridgid and Padraig and I've also heard yonks, ****e, arse and someone being called a spanner :D

Picked up the DLC a few weeks back so interested to try Torna and see what changes they made, I understand its a bit more polished.

It truly is a great battle system once you grasp it, took me ages to realize how cores work and how important it is to have ones with special abilities ready and you sometimes needed them to progress the story or a side quest.

• Advertisement

I'm about 8 hours into Tales of Vesperia myself. Haven't really got back to it since that first wacky difficulty spike with that dog boss. Have to say combat wasn't really clicking with me either, and this is coming from someone who enjoys Xenoblade combat which has to be the most convoluted system I've experienced (great when it all comes together though).

I'm trying to get back to Person 5 now again. I'm about 35 hours in and about to enter the 3rd dungeon. Really like the game but I tend to pick it up like this, finish a Palace and then the lull in tempo afterwards makes me lose interest again. Gonna try stick with it this time though, its a great game I just think it suffers from some pacing issues.

I'm about 8 hours into Tales of Vesperia myself. Haven't really got back to it since that first wacky difficulty spike with that dog boss. Have to say combat wasn't really clicking with me either, and this is coming from someone who enjoys Xenoblade combat which has to be the most convoluted system I've experienced (great when it all comes together though).

I'm trying to get back to Person 5 now again. I'm about 35 hours in and about to enter the 3rd dungeon. Really like the game but I tend to pick it up like this, finish a Palace and then the lull in tempo afterwards makes me lose interest again. Gonna try stick with it this time though, its a great game I just think it suffers from some pacing issues.

haha jesus, thats a lot of massive game juggling yer doing there skerry :D

But eh, the combat does evolve more from the point you're at, makes flying through the smaller fights much quicker, its just the boss fights are a slog.

nix wrote: »
    haha jesus, thats a lot of massive game juggling yer doing there skerry :D

But eh, the combat does evolve more from the point you're at, makes flying through the smaller fights much quicker, its just the boss fights are a slog.

The struggle is real :) I've been off work for a couple of weeks so trying to make a dent in some of the bigger games on my plate. I have 85 hrs on my Xenoblade 2 save file now.

How many hours did it take you to get through ToV? I'll definitely get back to it but kind of enjoying P5 again now so will be a while yet. Playing a good bit of Monster Hunter on the switch too so hands are pretty full now between the 2.

The struggle is real :) I've been off work for a couple of weeks so trying to make a dent in some of the bigger games on my plate. I have 85 hrs on my Xenoblade 2 save file now.

How many hours did it take you to get through ToV? I'll definitely get back to it but kind of enjoying P5 again now so will be a while yet. Playing a good bit of Monster Hunter on the switch too so hands are pretty full now between the 2.

Between those 3 games I think it took me about 330 hours to finish them all.

I hit the 65hr mark on Tales, if i played it on normal or didnt use the level bumps, it would have taken a lot longer i predict, mainly from having to just grind for hours to get through what needed to be done.

Persona was more balanced combat wise, but the story is long, you're talking 120ish hours to get through it on normal, thats with doing alot of side stuff throughout..

I hit the 65hr mark on Tales, if i played it on normal or didnt use the level bumps, it would have taken a lot longer i predict, mainly from having to just grind for hours to get through what needed to be done.

Persona was more balanced combat wise, but the story is long, you're talking 120ish hours to get through it on normal, thats with doing alot of side stuff throughout..

Did you end up using the DLC items in then end?

120 hrs is a serious amount of time to get through a game on normal. For some reason I had around 80 in my head but 120 makes more sense cos I'm nearly 40hrs in now and only starting palace 3 of 7.

Did you end up using the DLC items in then end?

120 hrs is a serious amount of time to get through a game on normal. For some reason I had around 80 in my head but 120 makes more sense cos I'm nearly 40hrs in now and only starting palace 3 of 7.

Yeah i got through about 3/4's of the game and hit a boss fight where they just constantly out healed any damage i done with ease, it was a 1 v 1 fight. I had a pain in my hoop overcoming fights like that with having to grind levels for aaaages, and just wanted to progress and finish the story.

So said **** it and no regrets :pac:

I finished Tales of Vesperia earlier, overall the story and characters were excellent, the combat system was a mess i found. I dropped the difficulty down to easy as the random jumps in difficulty made it annoying.

Even on easy the boss fights went on far too long in most cases and the need to constantly grind countless levels ruined the flow of the game, i dont mind having to grind it out for the extra hard yet rewarding side quests at the end, but when you're plain sailing and then bump into a boss that requires you to go off and level loads is just sh!t.

I dont know how people prefer/enjoy playing on normal or even hard, the fights must go on forever. Unless I was missing something in the combat? I just set up standard tactics for the 3 members on auto and then just controlled Yuri. Is it best to micro manage every player on the field manually?

Overall i loved the game, just wish the combat was more refined :)

Anyway, im about to tackle Dragon quest XI now, my first DQ, any advice or settings i should set before i start the journey? :pac:

The main thing you need to know about the game is that it is very simple and really not challenging besides a handful of boss fights and even those can be a dawdle with the right equipment, spells, buffs and debuffs, it is also completely linear so much so it basically holds your hand the entire game.

It is a slow burner, the game really does not open up till you get to Laguna di Gondolia and you will spend a lot of time doing fetch quests, the quick travel system works well as you have a lot of toing and froing between towns.

It is a great game, with a nice cast of characters and a decent story, but on reflection I would not recommend it as a persons first foray into the series as their are better entries readily available.

Stick with your MC, Jade, Veronica and Serena for the majority of the game and you will have no issues.

I'd also recommend waiting for the switch version which adds a significant amount of new content.

• Advertisement

About 6 hours into DQ XI, can only play in short bursts so far, feel like im playing postman pat the game with the animation and voice acting.. Its hard going...

Does it pick up A LOT by the 20 hour mark? I'm just after getting the red jewel for the rogue lad..

Advertisement