Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

On ch5 of trails of cold steel, great little game, looking forward to the next game.

Was tempted to pick this up in the sale at the moment. Seems well regarded on here but my unholy backlog of JRPG's is stopping me pulling the trigger for now. Must try the demo of the new one. Want to pick up DQ11 on Switch so won't have the time for much else if I get stuck into that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

When the hell is Grandia coming to PC! I'm going to be overdosing on Dragon Quest on the Switch on the 27th so I was hoping it wouldn't be released that weekend too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,399 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    When the hell is Grandia coming to PC! I'm going to be overdosing on Dragon Quest on the Switch on the 27th so I was hoping it wouldn't be released that weekend too.

135 hours into DQXI and it'll be my first plat since Dark Souls.

Overdose is the word

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

noodler wrote: »
    135 hours into DQXI and it'll be my first plat since Dark Souls.

Overdose is the word

DQ 1-3 also getting released on the same day and I'll be snapping them up :D

Switch release of DQ11 also adds an insane amount of content it seems.

I see the release date has been changed to some time in October. Could be ironing out a few bugs, I think the switch release came out in a rather poor state judging by a few comments on the steam forums

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

skerry wrote: »
    Was tempted to pick this up in the sale at the moment. Seems well regarded on here but my unholy backlog of JRPG's is stopping me pulling the trigger for now. Must try the demo of the new one. Want to pick up DQ11 on Switch so won't have the time for much else if I get stuck into that.

Get them while there on sale!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Did anyone pick up Kotaro Uchikoshi latest game AI: The Somnium Files?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Xenji wrote: »
    Did anyone pick up Kotaro Uchikoshi latest game AI: The Somnium Files?
    No but I might, I was very disappointed at the ending of Zero Escape 3 but loved VLR.
    He did another game with the Danganronpa crowd it looked interesting

Get them while there on sale!

That good eh, I might pick up the first one so and see how I get on with it.

No but I might, I was very disappointed at the ending of Zero Escape 3 but loved VLR.
    He did another game with the Danganronpa crowd it looked interesting

Yeah that would be Death March and it looks very weird but interesting, my collectors edition for the Switch has been delayed so it will probably be next month before I get a chance to play it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Bought Ni No Kuni for Switch opening cut scenes still make me cry true to its Studio Ghibli roots I think I'm really gonna enjoy playing this game again especially in handheld mode.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

skerry wrote: »
    That good eh, I might pick up the first one so and see how I get on with it.

Please God you love them now :o

:D

Replaying trail of cold steel, never finished it, gonna try and plat it this time around.

Won't be going for the at after all, the fishing game has put an end to pursuit 😠

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Finished FF9 for the first time, throughly enjoyed it, wasn't as long as I thought it would be. I saw my friend play it as a kid but couldn't remember much of the story just the places and music.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

FFIX is incredible. Nothing touches the FF series in its' PSOne days.

I finished Fire Emblem Awakening a few weeks back and I've been wondering, what happens if you pick a male Robin? Does he just stay mates with Chrom? I picked lady Robin and they married and had kids. Are they still Chrom's kids with another NPC if you pick a male Robin?

This Ni No Kuni remaster looks interesting. Haven't played any of them.

This Ni No Kuni remaster looks interesting. Haven't played any of them.

It's an achingly mediocre rpg dressed up in gorgeous graphics and music. I wouldn't bother with it. It got good reviews but most rpg fans agree that is a poor game and very disappointing

The worst part of it is you do not fully appreciate how bad it actually is till you have finished it.

gorgeous graphics and music.

...sold...??

PostWoke wrote: »
    ...sold...??

You're funeral. I found it the most grossly over rated game in a long time. If it didn't have the Ghibli connection it would have been labelled a really awful JRPG.

And Ghibli only worked on the art. The gameplay and story are just factor 5 at their worst with another howler of a story from akihiro hino.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'll probably pick up the physical version if there's ever a deep sale but there's just too much genuinely good stuff out there to play right now. I'm rushing to finishing my second Fire Emblem run-through before Dragon Quest on Switch comes out.

There's way too many good RPGs out there to waste time on Ni No Kuni.

Really looking forward to DQ Friday though!

Interesting. That took the wind out of that sail.

Thinking of picking up FF X/ X-2, I've looked into the combat system and it seems its proper turn based which suits me, the simpler combat systems in the later games aren't really grabbing me as it feels like its on autopilot (13 mostly).

Anyone here pick up the Switch version and know if its worth the extra bobs? Its 33 in Argos at the moment, but can get the PS4 version for less than half that in the sale at the minute.

I played through FFX recently and.... it's not really held up. The battle system has it's good points, it works well for bosses but for random encounters, once you end up fighting the same groups of enemies over and over and repeating the same tactics. It's not as bad as FF13 but it's shares a few of it's more annoying game design flaws.

FFX-2.... the story is straight out and out garbage but it's actually a whole heap of fun to play and mess around with.

I think the package despite the flaws is worth it.

I played through FFX recently and.... it's not really held up. The battle system has it's good points, it works well for bosses but for random encounters, once you end up fighting the same groups of enemies over and over and repeating the same tactics. It's not as bad as FF13 but it's shares a few of it's more annoying game design flaws.

FFX-2.... the story is straight out and out garbage but it's actually a whole heap of fun to play and mess around with.

I think the package despite the flaws is worth it.

I was reading that random encounters were cranked up in X, its a pity they didn't add any of the speed mods or encounter skips like they did with FFVII.

Might go for the Switch version, PS4 version is much cheaper but handheld might be an advantage and I generally just enjoy playing games more on my Switch, God I love that console.

Interesting. That took the wind out of that sail.

It's a strong 85%+ on all review aggregators. Maybe something to pick up if there's a drought and it's on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

X-2 is massively underrated. One if the few times and a direct FF spinoff ended turning out well. Even though its a massive tonal shift from X it makes sense in game.

PostWoke wrote: »
    It's a strong 85%+ on all review aggregators. Maybe something to pick up if there's a drought and it's on sale.

As I said, it's one of the most grossly over rated games of the last few years. A lot of the reviews talk about how it's the savior of the JRPG genre, ignoring the amazing games on handheld and lesser know home console games at the time.

RPGamer can be overly harsh at times but think the staff review was quite a fair assessment, even if I still think it's not harsh enough:

http://archive.rpgamer.com/games/ninokuni/ninokunips3/reviews/ninokunips3strev1.html

As for picking it up in a drought or sale, there'll always be a better JRPG than Ni No Kuni you haven't played.

• Advertisement

megaten wrote: »
    X-2 is massively underrated. One if the few times and a direct FF spinoff ended turning out well. Even though its a massive tonal shift from X it makes sense in game.

The fact you can miss out on some content and abilities annoyed me at the time but if you play it with the right mindset it's fantastically inventive. I'm planning to give it another shot soon and try out the post game rogue like dungeon.

Advertisement